Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hot Rod Ford couldn't make the grade.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

daniel

May 7, 2009
Kihei, HI
So today a really beautiful hot rod Ford with open wheels and no top (didn't look as though it could take a top) and no hood (the engine was open, and very shiny) pulled up next to me in the front line at a stop light. The noise it made was truly horrendous, probably no muffler, I think. But the car, I hate to say this of a stinker, was gorgeous.

When the light changed, we both floored it. I'm allergic to speeding tickets, so in this 35-mph zone I only accelerated to 40 or slightly above, but when I let off the pedal, I was ahead of him. But I was ahead of him by considerably less than I'm always ahead of other cars. Poor noise-polluting gas car just couldn't make the grade, against my whisper-quiet electric. He continued to accelerate past me, probably to 45 or so.

I don't know beans about cars, so I don't know anything about his car except that it had the open wheels, and it said "Ford" on the side in a fancy-looking style. (I only learned a few weeks ago what "open wheels" means when someone posted a picture of that lady racer (Danika something?) and I looked her up and had to Google "open wheel racing.")

Anyway, it's the first time that I've been next to anything fast, and I was actually surprised that it could stay as close as it did. Not close at all in racing terms, but I'm used to the other cars disappearing in my rear-view mirror. At the stoplight I told him his car was beautiful, and after our little "race" when he turned left at the next light we exchanged a friendly wave.

After that I got lost trying to take an unaccustomed route to a store on the other side of town (finally got there) and had a very pleasant 50-mile drive on one of our first really nice hot sunny days of the year, half of it on country roads. The mesh top has been on for about 3 days now.

One year later, I still love this car. And it's just a wee bit nicer since the ranger managed to stuff some added padding into the seat and I could take off the seat pad I'd been using.

When the light changed, we both floored it. I'm allergic to speeding tickets, so in this 35-mph zone I only accelerated to 40 or slightly above, but when I let off the pedal, I was ahead of him. But I was ahead of him by considerably less than I'm always ahead of other cars. Poor noise-polluting gas car just couldn't make the grade, against my whisper-quiet electric. He continued to accelerate past me, probably to 45 or so.
As others have said, those cars are very light and if the person knows what they're doing can have a lot of power. But rest assured that little stunt probably cost him a few dollars in gas and you a few cents in electricity.

But if this happens again, twist your key to the "start" position (and then let go) or push the battery icon on the VDS twice to get into Performance mode. That'll give you a few extra ponies.

I had a similar event - a souped up Camaro (very over-sized rear wheels, engine poking out of the hood - the whole works) gunned his engine as he passed me, then slowed down so he would hit the red light at the same time as me.
He sat next to me, gunning his engine...
I looked over to his passenger and said "I'll give you a head start!"
I think that pissed them off!
When the light turned green, there was a tremendous roar, smoke billowed out of his wheels and I waited until his rear bumper cleared my front bumper - then I hit it. I slowed down at more-or-less the speed limit and waited for him to blow by me :)
He was gracious enough to give me a thumbs up as he went by.
The coolest thing was: my car never made a peep :-D

Just make sure this doesn't happen to you:
I'm pretty careful. <Knock on wood!!!​>

... if this happens again, twist your key to the "start" position (and then let go) or push the battery icon on the VDS twice to get into Performance mode. That'll give you a few extra ponies.
I wasn't expecting a race. I always take off pretty fast if the road is clear and dry. I've put it in Performance mode once or twice, but I couldn't really tell the difference. If I ever know it's going to be a race I'll do it.

There isn't much out there on the street that will out accelerate a speadster. Speadsters don't have anything special when it comes to weight/hp. I've had plenty of ICE cars with better weight/hp ratios than a roadster. Why roadster pretty much rule the streets is simple:
100% of torque from 1rpm
Never has to shift (no time loss)
Put those together and it would take something with a weight/hp ratio of something like 1lb per 20hp to keep up. Roadsters are only something like 1lb to 11hp I think?