Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Solar panels, a realistic solution to charging?

Quote Originally Posted by dsm363 View Post
    Don't know if it is accurate but found this
    Solar Calculator
    "It will take approximately 19 years to make profit."

Yuck.

Quote Originally Posted by brianman View Post

Yuck.
    This is why most people lease. It will take exactly 1 day to see your first savings.

@Leasing
    Any recommendations on a good "calculator" style page for that? BTW, Solar City isn't in my state (yet?).

Model S Sig Perf, VIN 586
    Quote Originally Posted by SCW-Greg View Post
    Didn't know they were here already. I just filled out their form for a consult. Our HOA doesn't currently allow for this, I think. But I'm on the board, and we're talking about rewriting the roofing code right now as it is. This is the future.

Thanks!
    Costs a little bit more, but there are solar options that look like dark colors roof tiles. Not as visually distinctive as roof mounted large cells. Matches well with concrete tile or composite roofing.

Robert.Boston covered how common solar systems work. Lloyd referenced time of day metering/payment. For my system I still use more juice than I produce, but I pay once per year and it isn't too much. The cells are paying for themselves nicely and I'm looking 5-10 years down the line for replacing/upgrading with new technology.
    PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum. My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum, without my expressed consent.

Quote Originally Posted by ckessel View Post
    That is mind boggling. I wonder if that'd really hold up in court. I can understand an HOA not letting you pick hot pink as a shingle color, but saying you can't use composite seems beyond the limits of their power. They'll let you have solar panels though?
    Well the neighborhood was initially started in 1988, and the HOA established in 1990. Back then solar wasn't on the radar. However the SolarCity guy did say there is a law that may or may not apply here, essentially stating that you cannot restrict a homeowner's "right?" to install solar panels... that essentially it overrides HOA bylaws.

Yuck.
    Yeah I'm thinking this calculator may run high. It said my payback would be 20 years. After talking (loosely) with the SolarCity guy, the over-the-phone numbers he ranged for me, suggests a 10 year payback. Not counting the costs of new water heaters (from gas to electric) and furnace too, which are aging, the payback could hit 6 years. Again these are not official numbers just yet.

Yuck.
    That calculator has ridiculous estimates for the cost of solar. You can get it installed for half by shopping around. And if you get a solar kit and install it yourself (which I intend to do), you can get the ROI down to only 5 years.

I calculated that in order to generate enough electricity to drive my Model S 12,000 miles per year, I would need to install a 2.5 kWh solar system. That is about 12 panels. You can get a grid-tied solar DIY kit of this size for $8-10K. And with Federal tax credits, California rebates, etc. figure an additional 30% off that price.

Here is a good website with online pricing for DIY solar kits: www.solarpanelsonline.org

It has a much better solar calculator as well.
    Last edited by mulder1231; 2012-07-08 at 10:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SCW-Greg View Post
    Well the neighborhood was initially started in 1988, and the HOA established in 1990. Back then solar wasn't on the radar. However the SolarCity guy did say there is a law that may or may not apply here, essentially stating that you cannot restrict a homeowner's "right?" to install solar panels... that essentially it overrides HOA bylaws.
    There is such a law in California. It's a state law and overrides any county, city, or local (HOA) ordinance. You cannot be restricted from installing solar panels on your roof. There's a similar law for EVSE's - so if you're in a condo with a garage they can't restrict you from installing an EVSE (charing station). Of course, you'd have to pay for it but they have to let you do it. I'm not familiar w/ Oregon laws but I would assume the local solar folks would know.
    Twilight Blue Roadster 2.5 - #1098 / Grey Model S Performance - #1459

Roadster #1144 + Sig 114 dsm363's Avatar
    Yeah, that calculator I linked isn't accurate. $110,000 for an average home's use to go 100% solar is at least double I think.

SolarCity will start installation of the system on my roof tomorrow morning. It's 20 yr lease. My house is about 5000 sq ft. The system will cover 85-100% of my needs. The cost is $8800. I leave in Los Angeles area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information