Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another reason to get away from gasoline

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TEG

Teslafanatic
Aug 20, 2006
A major commuter freeway (US101 that goes past Tesla offices) was closed for most of the day yesterday due to a gasoline tanker truck spilling an estimated 7500 gallons of gasoline.

Tanker Crash, Spill Shuts Down Northbound 101 - News Story - KTVU San Francisco
Palo Alto Online : Tanker spill causes long backup

44d1201710870-another-reason-get-away-gasoline-tanker.jpg

Attachments

• tanker.jpg
    tanker.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Something I read today reminded me of a forgotten anger.

Sidebar:
After OPEC imposes an oil embargo, drivers wait in lines up to a half mile long to fill up their tanks. Some pay as much as .99 cents a gallon, equal to $4.71 in today's dollars.

They were caught offgaurd when the signs and pumps could not handle three digit prices. At stations that went over $1.00 they charged by the 1/2 gallon.

Last year when gas prices skyrocketed, many stations did not have 3's or 4's in the dollar position. Sounds familiar, no?

But my point was, the feeling I had as a new driver during that first oil crisis. I hated the feeling of powerlessness. The other day I was talking to my wife about how I am someone who notes gasoline prices wherever I am to find the cheapest price. Because in many ways I am cheap. And as a cheap person, reliving that burden was one reason I look forward to one day owning an Electric Car. And replacing it with the burden of running out of charge somewhere :)biggrin:).

But it was the sidebar piece that reminded me that I like the thought of controlling my own energy. Someday with Solar and an EV I will have the tools to be (mostly) self contained. Raising the price of gas last year was one thing, but I am still deeply scarred by having the rug pulled out from underneath me as a teenager.

Last edited:
Price competition brings lower gas prices, and lower gas prices brings us nothing that is good in the long term (like stagnant alt energy development).

Many thousands of Nanos should help that - especially since the mopeds they "replace" will just get sold used.

But it's hard to fight against the incredible subsidies the oil industry gets. Are there any studies of what the price of gas would be if all the costs that are exposed to other forms of energy were exposed in the price of gas?

...Are there any studies of what the price of gas would be if all the costs that are exposed to other forms of energy were exposed in the price of gas?

Way back in 1998:
Geoftopia: "Real Price Of Gasoline" Report Reveals Actual Cost of Gas to Consumers Is as High as $15.14 per Gallon
...Washington D.C. -- A report released today by the International Center for Technology Assessment (CTA) calculates that the actual cost of a gallon of gas to the American consumer could be as high as $15.14. The report "The Real Price of Gas" identifies and quantifies the many external costs of using gas that consumers pay indirectly by way of taxes, insurance costs and retail prices in other sectors. Established in 1994, the International Center for Technology Assessment (CTA), is a Washington-based research organization that analyzes how technology affects society....

Great links, TEG. Here is what I have had on my "gasoline" page for a while... and now I'm going to add your links.

Milton Copulos testified in late March, 2006 at the Senate Foreign Relations Committee hearing on "The Hidden Cost of Oil" with updated projections on his original 2003 report.

According Copulos, who is a senior fellow with the Institute for the Analysis of Global Security and with the National Defense Council Foundation:

"Adding up the above, the hidden cost of oil imports skyrocketed to $779.5 billion in 2005. That would be equivalent to adding $4.10 to the price of a gallon of gasoline if amortized over the total volume of imports. For Persian Gulf imports, because of the enormous military costs associated with the region, the "hidden cost" was equal to adding $7.41 cents to the price of a gallon of gasoline. When the nominal cost is combined with this figure it yields a "true" cost of $9.53 per gallon." Worse, he sees the costs for 2006 totaling a staggering $825 billion.

"This would bring the "real" price of a gallon of gasoline refined from Persian Gulf oil to $10.86. At these prices the "real" cost of filling up a family sedan is $217.20, and filling up a large SUV $325.80." (Darell's note - this is for 2005)

I get so tired of hearing that things like solar shouldn't be subsidized. That if it can't stand on it's own, then we should let the free market have its way.... I'm *fine* with a level playing field. We just don't have one.

Last edited:
Add this to the "no gasoline" list.

Press Release

Spilled gasoline impacts the environment through evaporation into the air, diffusion into the soil and releases into groundwater. Each year, Americans spill over 9 million gallons of gasoline -- the equivalent of an oil supertanker. The environmental impacts of improper handling, storage and disposal of gasoline largely stem from sloppy filling of small engines, using inappropriate containers, overfilling motor equipment engines, storing gasoline in open containers, and disposing of excess gasoline improperly.

5 die in Wash. refinery blast and fire - Life- msnbc.com
ANACORTES, Wash. - An explosion and fire at a Washington state oil refinery shook homes and shot flames into the night sky early Friday, killing five people and critically injuring two others.
The blast was the biggest fatal refinery accident since a 2005 explosion at a BP American refinery in Texas killed 15 people and injured another 170, authorities said.
Horowitz said the board is “extremely concerned about safety in this sector” after a number of accidents and safety violations found at refineries by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration.