Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I have some questions.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all I'm new to the forum you may have seen my introduction thread in the Intros board. I've been lurking this forum for some time now and haven't seen answers to some questions I have for the lucky people who have been able to drive one of these sexy cars.

1. Has anyone been able to hear the stereo on the model S? I know there is 2 systesm, a 7.0 and a 12.1. I am interested in having subwoofers in my car and I seen another thread regarding this subject but nobody said anything about the quality of the 12.1 system. If you have heard the 12.1, how satisfied were you with the sound quality? Do you think I would need an additional subwoofer?

2. On the performance model the 0-60 is 4.4 seconds, but does anyone know the 0-100 time? If I'm cruising at 60 mph, will the car accelerate to 120mph in 4.4 seconds or is acceleration toned down at higher speeds?

3. What are your opinions on high performance/low-profile tires? I have read that the low-profiles cost more money to replace and wear our faster because they are softer. How much do the 19" tires cost (ballpark) and how much more do the 21" tires cost (ballpark)? Also, how much faster do the low-profiles wear out? Is it like a night and day thing?

I'm going to school in 2 years and will be saving all the money I get from working up north to buy one of these cars in 2014, and I understand it may seem pre-mature to be asking these questions but I want to know everything about the car. Having something to look forward to will keep me on the strait and narrow.

And if your wondering I'm going to school for Sustainable Energy Engineer, so a Tesla Model S is the perfect car for my chosen life path. Please don't underestimate my ability to acquire the funds, I make enough money to facilitate this purchase.

Welcome to the forums!

1. since we've all been babysat in the test drives, we got a passing chance to hear the stereo but I don't know if anyone got the chance to turn up some car-thumpin' bass... I think you'll hear more over the coming weeks there.

2. I don't think there are any official numbers. I think the highest recorded speed in the test drives has been 85. I think the consensus is that 60+ acceleration is just as impressive. As for exact times, I don't know if there are any yet.

3. Tire options for comparison can be found here:
Sizes To Fit Your Vehicle

Good luck with your savings; I personally would love to see all the Teslas on the road that we can all muster!

Welcome to the forums!

1. since we've all been babysat in the test drives, we got a passing chance to hear the stereo but I don't know if anyone got the chance to turn up some car-thumpin' bass... I think you'll hear more over the coming weeks there.

2. I don't think there are any official numbers. I think the highest recorded speed in the test drives has been 85. I think the consensus is that 60+ acceleration is just as impressive. As for exact times, I don't know if there are any yet.

3. Tire options for comparison can be found here:
Sizes To Fit Your Vehicle

Good luck with your savings; I personally would love to see all the Teslas on the road that we can all muster!

This will be my first car so I really want something fun. All my friends have really nice cars but I don't really want to pay for the gas that they do. As I said in another post I was considering a VW TDI model, but after learning about the Model S, I really just don't see a purpose in considering any other car.

From a different standpoint to, this is a company I believe in and I want to support it. The best way to do that is to buy their car.

The 1/4 mile is 12.6 seconds for the performance version. I think that's around 112mph... so 0-100mph is prolly around 10 seconds. We'll hafta get some track time to be sure. 13.7s 1/4 mile for the 85Kwh version, which ain't bad either considering that the 85Kwh version caught up by 0.1s in that 1/4mile (prolly just rounding errors imho).

For Canada I'd recommend the 19" tires for winter and 21" for summer. So save a bit more for 2 sets of tires. Both seem to have the same comfort over rough roads, which is a little surprising. The tire options link should have treadwear info as well.

The sound system looked nice in Pete's video, but audiophile quality assessment hasn't been done yet. I'll try to get some trained ears in my car before October, there should be some good reviews before then however.

Just my input on the tires. The other points there are many others on here that are much better equipped to answer.

But.... you will be hard pressed to find a "all-season" version (ie harder compound, longer life, lower cost generally) of the 21" tires. These will be pretty much all performance rated tires. So, higher cost, better grip, but wear quicker. The 19" tires you can get more readily in both all-weather and performance versions with the latter being more expensive, wearing more quickly, but with better grip for acceleration and cornering while the all-weather variants lasting longer, being a bit cheaper, and having slightly less grip (how much and if you can tell a difference is very subjective and up to your specific driving style, skill, etc.). follow flasherZ's link to Tirerack.com for all sorts of pricing for 19 and 21" tires. Good luck!!!

The 1/4 mile is 12.6 seconds for the performance version. I think that's around 112mph... so 0-100mph is prolly around 10 seconds. We'll hafta get some track time to be sure. 13.7s 1/4 mile for the 85Kwh version, which ain't bad either considering that the 85Kwh version caught up by 0.1s in that 1/4mile (prolly just rounding errors imho).

For Canada I'd recommend the 19" tires for winter and 21" for summer. So save a bit more for 2 sets of tires. Both seem to have the same comfort over rough roads, which is a little surprising. The tire options link should have treadwear info as well.

The sound system looked nice in Pete's video, but audiophile quality assessment hasn't been done yet. I'll try to get some trained ears in my car before October, there should be some good reviews before then however.

Thanks I'd really like to hear more about the sound systems. Another question I just thought of, do you guys know if that 17" screen can be used to play DVDs? I'm assuming I can play movies, but does it have a disc slot?

Hello all I'm new to the forum you may have seen my introduction thread in the Intros board. I've been lurking this forum for some time now and haven't seen answers to some questions I have for the lucky people who have been able to drive one of these sexy cars.

1. Has anyone been able to hear the stereo on the model S? I know there is 2 systesm, a 7.0 and a 12.1. I am interested in having subwoofers in my car and I seen another thread regarding this subject but nobody said anything about the quality of the 12.1 system. If you have heard the 12.1, how satisfied were you with the sound quality? Do you think I would need an additional subwoofer?

I got to hear the 12.1 and was somewhat impressed for a stock system. I will be doing a sub install, probably using the well where the child seats would normally go. It's a perfect place. My current car has 4 subs, 1 under each front seat, and two rears, and it really sounds great. I was disappointed that there is only adjustment for bass, midrange, and treble, without giving you control over a narrower range of frequencies, but the controls are trick. It is demoed in my video of my test drive (post 153).

2. On the performance model the 0-60 is 4.4 seconds, but does anyone know the 0-100 time? If I'm cruising at 60 mph, will the car accelerate to 120mph in 4.4 seconds or is acceleration toned down at higher speeds?

I was impressed with mid range acceleration and it seems to still have aggressive acceleration from 60-90. Above 90, it starts to taper off.

Here are my answers in green...

So, turning back to the OP's question, can anyone give us a run down of the standard sound system? I love music and listen to it constantly while in the car, but I am not one to be distracted. So, I want good quality and have been thinking of not upgrading the sound system.

Comments?

So, turning back to the OP's question, can anyone give us a run down of the standard sound system? I love music and listen to it constantly while in the car, but I am not one to be distracted. So, I want good quality and have been thinking of not upgrading the sound system.

Comments?

I'm getting the sound studio. The Tesla is the first car where is seems as if you will actually be able to get some benefit from a good audio system. In most cars the noise level is such that it's hard to tell the difference between a good sound system and a transistor radio.

I got to hear the 12.1 and was somewhat impressed for a stock system. I will be doing a sub install, probably using the well where the child seats would normally go. It's a perfect place. My current car has 4 subs, 1 under each front seat, and two rears, and it really sounds great. I was disappointed that there is only adjustment for bass, midrange, and treble, without giving you control over a narrower range of frequencies, but the controls are trick. It is demoed in my video of my test drive (post 153).

Thank you. It looks like I also will be doing a sub install. I also thought the child seat locations would be perfect spots for a dual-sub setup. What is most exciting about this car is that I will be able to have awesome subwoofers and still have ample trunk (&frunk) space. I think we will see some really impressive Model S mods given that there is so much space to work with. Hopefully in the future the will update the music controls to have an all out equalizer.

Thank you. It looks like I also will be doing a sub install. I also thought the child seat locations would be perfect spots for a dual-sub setup. What is most exciting about this car is that I will be able to have awesome subwoofers and still have ample trunk (&frunk) space. I think we will see some really impressive Model S mods given that there is so much space to work with. Hopefully in the future the will update the music controls to have an all out equalizer.

Three words - Tesla. App. Store. :)