Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't pull log files

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I swear I'm following the instructions, but it goes wrong from the start: When I insert the drive into the USB port nothing happens. The drive's light comes on (but does not flash or flicker) and the Touch Screen does nothing. What gives? I've tried three flash drives now, from 256MB to 2GB, all with the root VehicleLogs folder pre-created.

I thought that step happened around 2GB. You'd think he would have had it covered with a 256MB stick.

Oh, right, misread that.

I had a similar problem and the ranger had to "reboot" the system by disconnecting the wiring harness to the ECU.

Interesting.

I don't remember the details now, but I encountered a firmware glitch early on with my Roadster (fixed shortly thereafter), and the recommended way to "reset" things was to rapidly open and close the charge port door half a dozen times. Probably has nothing to do with it, but can't hurt to try it.

Note you also need to be patient as it can take 15 to 20 minutes.

Yes, but you will get a message on the touch screen within 15 seconds, telling you not to remove the stick. If you don't see the warning, it's not downloading.

From what is said in the instructions, there needs to be a folder on the drive named VehicleLogs. It then should be able to pull the logs from the car when the switch is off and it isn't charging.

From what is said in the instructions, there needs to be a folder on the drive named VehicleLogs. It then should be able to pull the logs from the car when the switch is off and it isn't charging.
+1 Did you create the folder? I've always done it w/ car completely off, key not inserted. Just open the passenger door (easier to reach from that side for me), insert thumb drive, wait.

No, car isn't charging. Yes, VehicleLogs folder exists.

Best theory I'm hearing so far is that the wiring harness to the ECU needs to be disconnected and reconnected. What are the chances of doing that myself?

Best theory I'm hearing so far is that the wiring harness to the ECU needs to be disconnected and reconnected. What are the chances of doing that myself?

I think that would only be if VMS had hung. If it is running, then rangers can reset it.

I was told it is possible, but the cables are big and easy to damage. Tesla made a special tool for rangers to use, to avoid breaking things.

Other possible causes from what I have heard:
a) If the USB stick has a large number of other files in other folders, or deep sub-folders hierarchy, or many files in the root folder ... it may also cause issues.
b) I heard one report that a "CHKDSK /F" on the USB stick solved someone's difficulty (no other apparent cause(s)). (The stick had been working for several times, but then seemed to have "given up the ghost".)

Interesting enough I can't pull my logs now. I'm using the original 8GB memory stick that worked before, the same VehicleLogs directory that worked before is there. I moved the VIN# directory up one. Tried other (500MB to 2GB) memory sticks an nogo. Also formated the filesystem to FAT32 on a windows system.

Possibly I need to reset the ECU? Is that a pain or should I take that into Telsa to have reset.

Only thing I can see that may have confused the system was that I used the USB diagnostics port to charge my Ipod once. That shouldn't have been an issue.

Interesting enough I can't pull my logs now. I'm using the original 8GB memory stick that worked before, the same VehicleLogs directory that worked before is there. I moved the VIN# directory up one. Tried other (500MB to 2GB) memory sticks an nogo. Also formated the filesystem to FAT32 on a windows system.

Possibly I need to reset the ECU? Is that a pain or should I take that into Telsa to have reset.

Only thing I can see that may have confused the system was that I used the USB diagnostics port to charge my Ipod once. That shouldn't have been an issue.

Sounds like a reset is needed and that's a Tesla tech job I'm afraid.