Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This never happened to me before

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

daniel

May 7, 2009
Kihei, HI
Today I went out to the car, and when I got in, it said my ideal range (Standard charge) was 186 (it's always 186 to 189, usually the former) but the estimated range was 202 miles. It's the first time my estimated range has been greater than my ideal range. Yesterday I had driven 60-odd miles mostly on rural secondary highway roads, at around 60 mph. Probably around 5 miles in town getting to the out-of-town road. It was a warm day but not excessively hot, and I had the Taylor mesh top on. I presume that increases the drag somewhat, but maybe not??? Anyway, that was cool to see the greater estimated range.

It happens rather often to me:

16835777.jpg

Daniel, did you get a new firmware with the Ranger visit? If yes, is it possible that this firmware version no longer "forgets" your driving when you charge the car?
I did get a new firmware version. But it's never forgotten my past driving before, as shown by the fact that after charging, my estimated range was always less than my ideal range.

The biggest difference is that we've finally gotten nice weather and the heater's been off. And I don't use A/C because in hot weather I take the top off. But I have no idea if the firmware is doing anything differently.

In my experience, I can achieve parity between the two readings by driving at a constant 55MPH.
If I keep my energy consumption below that, the estimated range will be greater than the ideal range (by 5 to 10 miles). This happens on days when I drive only on local streets with 35MPH speed limits and few quick accelerations.
My regular commute includes a mix of highway (65MPH) and local roads, moderate changes of altitude and several traffic lights on roads with speeds around 50MPH. Under these conditions, my estimated range is shorter than ideal by 10 to 20 miles.

A little 'trick' someone recently told me:
At the start of a long trip, set the trip meter to 0.
Then watch the miles add up on the trip meter, as the estimated miles remaining goes down.
Add them together mentally and compare the trend of difference between that sum and the original projected miles when you started.
If you are quick with addition and comparison you can calculate on the fly how your driving style is affecting your range better than the vehicle's own guess.
You are also armed with additional knowledge about the type of terrain and driving conditions you are likely to encounter in the near future.

A little 'trick' . . .

Isn't that more or less what the 'range est' meter (under the speedo) is trying to do? That is the only one I can see anyway: remove prescription sunglasses, lean foreward, try to focus. Given ~10 miles or so of normal driving, it seems to recalibrate and when you end your trip it is right in line with the TS guage.
--