Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canada's First EV-Friendly Region

Blog Entries

Canada's First EV-Friendly Region

Sun Country Highway has been busy outfitting all of Vancouver Island with Clipper Creek EVSEs. You can now drive anywhere on the island with a Tesla - or even a Leaf!

Victoria charges up for electric cars - News Hour - Videos | Global BC

Name:  sun.jpg
Views: 796
Size:  50.0 KB
    Roadster #919, Model S #2006. Blog The Rules of Model S Road Tripping
    Moderator: Tesla Motors , Electric Vehicles, Media, Roadster,
    Canada, EVents and Off Topic sub-forums.

CDN P#40
    Nice, but not first...

These have been in place since last March : Find a Charging Station

Blog Entries
    Yes, but Vancouver Island is rather bigger than Montreal. It's a 500 km drive from one end to the other!

this is one of my favorite places on the planet to visit. It still feels like a bit of a disconnect when L2 is used to create a long distance driving network. It's certainly a start but fast charging is the only practical way to traverse across a big island like Vancouver unless you are planning on staying over night to charge ... I think it kind of sets up false expectations a bit, but glad to hear they are working on QC's as well. Certainly the Roadster or S would have a much better shot than the Leaf, iMiev or others currently on the market.
    Region: Seattle area (US)
    P85+, metalic grey, black interior, carbon fiber accents, sound, full Xpell Ultimate wrap, Alloygators...
    Solar Powered

I wish we'd get something like this in the east coast. The Maritimes always seem to get the shaft, it's almost as if people don't realize Canada continues beyond Ontario/Quebec.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mogwai View Post
    I wish we'd get something like this in the east coast. The Maritimes always seem to get the shaft, it's almost as if people don't realize Canada continues beyond Ontario/Quebec.
    Not to worry, Sun Country Highway is working their way across the country. The plan is to go coast-to-coast.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thMonkey View Post
    this is one of my favorite places on the planet to visit. It still feels like a bit of a disconnect when L2 is used to create a long distance driving network. It's certainly a start but fast charging is the only practical way to traverse across a big island like Vancouver unless you are planning on staying over night to charge ... I think it kind of sets up false expectations a bit, but glad to hear they are working on QC's as well. Certainly the Roadster or S would have a much better shot than the Leaf, iMiev or others currently on the market.
    Actually, I have not found that to be the case. What it does require is just taking a little more time with a long day's drive. On Vancouver Island, with the SCH 80A EVSE's (charging rate 100 km/hr), even one intermediate stop of a couple of hours could get you a long distance in a day. For example, in theory, I could drive all the way from my home on SSI to Tofino on one charge, charge at the Wikinninish Inn for two hours over lunch, and drive all the way back, in the same day. That would be a waste of a great opportunity to relax in Tofino, but it is quite possible in a Roadster, and will be in a 60 kWh or 85 kWh Model S or X as well:

Oh, Canada! Our Tesla Roadster Arrives in British Columbia | Blog | Tesla Motors

I think is is GREAT that SCH is putting in 80A EVSE's, at least in some locations. That is a good reason to get the dual chargers in a Model S or X. Most of the other public J1772 EVSE's are only 30A, which is indeed impractical for long trips.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_G View Post
    Not to worry, Sun Country Highway is working their way across the country. The plan is to go coast-to-coast.
    Well let's just hope they get over here by 2014.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mogwai View Post
    Well let's just hope they get over here by 2014.
    I have been in close touch with SCH, and their vision is very expansive. They really want to make Canada the best place on earth to own an EV!
    "Constraints are gifts to creative people."Roadster 2.0 #905 | Model S Signature Performance #2001 | Model S 85D on order for Feb(?) deliveryPLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum. My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum, without my expressed consent.

CDN P#40
    Sun Country's first presence in Québec ?

A first charger in the eastern region of Quebec, makes this an half way point between Quebec City and new Brunswick .

And it says 90Amps in the article. And free charging.

Surely, Doug_G can provide more specs ?

In French : Infodimanche.com - Une borne pour les voitures électriques à l’Hôtel Universel

Thread Information