Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Horn sound

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone heard the horn on the Model S? Any impressions? It would be great if someone could post an audio clip (assuming audio is supported on the forum)

You can hear the horn in one of the test drive videos from Fremont/LA. I don't remember which, and I'm too lazy to look through hours of test drive footage again :). Maybe someone here can point you to the link, but I do recall that it's a pretty ordinary horn sound. Doesn't sound like a rocket ship's horn at all ;)

I was going to say, "In space, no one can hear you honk!"

And therefore the crux of my poor attempt at sarcasm(!)

But to get back on topic, the horn ironically almost reminded me of the sound of some SUV horns! I guess a horn sound and cargo space are two things that the Model S and some SUVs have in common...but that's about where the similarities end, haha!

The horn on the Roadster is pretty serious. Of course, sometimes that doesn't help much. Once I was being squeezed off the road by an SUV changing lanes, and the more I beeped the horn, the more the guy looked around for a truck somewhere, and just kept coming faster. The Model S is somewhat more visible, but still...

Thanks for the replies.

jerry33, I'm not sure where you drive, but a loud horn is an important safety issue.

Let me put it this way, without sounding like too much of an @$$h0l3, I hope.

Think of how focused and/or intelligent the average person's driving behavior is.

Now think that 50% of the population is worse than that.

Sometimes people need to be reminded to pay attention or to look where they are going.

Like you, I don't use a horn often, and in fact because there are a lot of bicyclers around me, I try to avoid using it as they have a tendency to make things worse when startling bikers.

People applying makeup or daydreaming are another story.

I have escaped a couple of accidents with my horn in the past and wimpy horn are easily ignored in places where people tend to lay on the horn often. To cut through the din you need a strong horn IMHO.

Of course, YMMV.

Cheers.

Think of how focused and/or intelligent the average person's driving behavior is.

Of course that's a description of the mean, not the average :) but the thought is certainly correct.

People applying makeup or daydreaming are another story.

I have escaped a couple of accidents with my horn in the past and wimpy horn are easily ignored in places where people tend to lay on the horn often. To cut through the din you need a strong horn IMHO.

Of course, YMMV.

I agree that for the kind of situations you describe, louder is basically better. The couple of times I've used the horn, it's just to remind someone that the light is green and has been for some time and that situation generally doesn't call for a loud horn--I realize there are places where some time is measured in nanoseconds and then you'd need a horn that is louder than the other cars around you to be heard. Other than that the horn mostly just gives me something to do while waiting for the crash.

Agreed.

And your correction takes me back to my abhorrent statistics (so utterly boring, yet so importantly useful for scientific assessment) classes but you are absolutely correct. Mean, Median, and Mode are often confused and important to separate from one another as they imply or indicate different things entirely.

Mea culpa.

Cheers

PS-I also must ask if you are a fan of Sir Arthur C. Clarke or just enjoying the lampoon you use as your sig quote. The quote you are referencing is one of my personal favorites, and each time I see your sig I smile.

PS-I also must ask if you are a fan of Sir Arthur C. Clarke or just enjoying the lampoon you use as your sig quote. The quote you are referencing is one of my personal favorites, and each time I see your sig I smile.

Well, I've read many of Sir Arthur C. Clarke's books but that lampoon comes from a chapter heading in The Wizardy Compiled by Rick Cook. The full quote is:

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. --Clarke's law
Any sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology. --Murphy's reformulation of Clarke's law
Any sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from a rigged demonstration. --programmer's restatement of Murphy's reformulation of Clarke's law

Of course that's a description of the mean, not the average :) but the thought is certainly correct.

Well, technically the mean is the average. The value with half of a probability distribution above and half below is the median.