Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Horn sound

Blog Entries
    The horn on the Roadster is pretty serious. Of course, sometimes that doesn't help much. Once I was being squeezed off the road by an SUV changing lanes, and the more I beeped the horn, the more the guy looked around for a truck somewhere, and just kept coming faster. The Model S is somewhat more visible, but still...

Sig X#1100 and X#1618 Discoducky's Avatar
    Who will be the first to post a recording?

Roadster #1144 + Sig 114 dsm363's Avatar
    The horn sounds pretty loud to me, not wimpy at all.
    Moderator - Model S, Mountain/Southwest, Texas, Northwest, Off Topic forums
    PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum. My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum, without my expressed consent.

Thanks for the replies.

jerry33, I'm not sure where you drive, but a loud horn is an important safety issue.

Let me put it this way, without sounding like too much of an @$$h0l3, I hope.

Think of how focused and/or intelligent the average person's driving behavior is.

Now think that 50% of the population is worse than that.

Sometimes people need to be reminded to pay attention or to look where they are going.

Like you, I don't use a horn often, and in fact because there are a lot of bicyclers around me, I try to avoid using it as they have a tendency to make things worse when startling bikers.

People applying makeup or daydreaming are another story.

I have escaped a couple of accidents with my horn in the past and wimpy horn are easily ignored in places where people tend to lay on the horn often. To cut through the din you need a strong horn IMHO.

Of course, YMMV.

Cheers.

S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13 jerry33's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceilidh View Post
    Think of how focused and/or intelligent the average person's driving behavior is.

Of course that's a description of the mean, not the average but the thought is certainly correct.

People applying makeup or daydreaming are another story.

I have escaped a couple of accidents with my horn in the past and wimpy horn are easily ignored in places where people tend to lay on the horn often. To cut through the din you need a strong horn IMHO.

Of course, YMMV.
    I agree that for the kind of situations you describe, louder is basically better. The couple of times I've used the horn, it's just to remind someone that the light is green and has been for some time and that situation generally doesn't call for a loud horn--I realize there are places where some time is measured in nanoseconds and then you'd need a horn that is louder than the other cars around you to be heard. Other than that the horn mostly just gives me something to do while waiting for the crash.
    1. Do not copy anything that I post outside of the TMC forum without permission.
    2. Any advice or opinions posted here are to be taken as my personal opinions only. There is no implied warranty, fitness for purpose, or official statements from any company I may have been or am affiliated with.
    3. Even the best recommendations are wrong when used inappropriately.

Agreed.

And your correction takes me back to my abhorrent statistics (so utterly boring, yet so importantly useful for scientific assessment) classes but you are absolutely correct. Mean, Median, and Mode are often confused and important to separate from one another as they imply or indicate different things entirely.

Mea culpa.

Cheers

PS-I also must ask if you are a fan of Sir Arthur C. Clarke or just enjoying the lampoon you use as your sig quote. The quote you are referencing is one of my personal favorites, and each time I see your sig I smile.

S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13 jerry33's Avatar
    PS-I also must ask if you are a fan of Sir Arthur C. Clarke or just enjoying the lampoon you use as your sig quote. The quote you are referencing is one of my personal favorites, and each time I see your sig I smile.
    Well, I've read many of Sir Arthur C. Clarke's books but that lampoon comes from a chapter heading in The Wizardy Compiled by Rick Cook. The full quote is:

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. --Clarke's law
    Any sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology. --Murphy's reformulation of Clarke's law
    Any sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from a rigged demonstration. --programmer's restatement of Murphy's reformulation of Clarke's law
    1. Do not copy anything that I post outside of the TMC forum without permission.
    2. Any advice or opinions posted here are to be taken as my personal opinions only. There is no implied warranty, fitness for purpose, or official statements from any company I may have been or am affiliated with.
    3. Even the best recommendations are wrong when used inappropriately.

Quote Originally Posted by jerry33 View Post
    Of course that's a description of the mean, not the average but the thought is certainly correct.
    Well, technically the mean is the average. The value with half of a probability distribution above and half below is the median.

S VIN S1049, X Resv S744
    Not to mention that there are certain states where drivers are far, far worse than others and a horn is needed more.

There was a recording of the horn in the Fremont test drive (or a week or two later, I forget). FYI.

Edit...

Here you go:
    http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showt...l=1#post156910

Yup, Fremont.
    Last edited by brianman; 2012-11-22 at 09:26 PM.
    Truly Electric Spaceship-Like Adventure ~ Signature Model Spaceship

PLEASE NOTE: these musings are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among the Tesla Motors Clubs membership. My words may not be quoted by any third party outside the Tesla Motors Clubs forums, without my expressed consent. Especially the NYT, which is clearly ethically challenged.

Thread Information