Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Please explain Founders, Signature, Signature Special, Roadster and Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

NEWDL

R#350 R#1323, RWD LR 3, Perf3, 23 X LR (7th Tesla)
Jan 5, 2009
NE OHIO
Personally I am looking for clarification on the signature special and where this designation came from.

I do think officially explaining these designations in one location is an important detail.

Can someone shed some light on SS for me?

Personally I am looking for clarification on the signature special and where this designation came from.
I do think officially explaining these designations in one location is an important detail.
Can someone shed some light on SS for me?
Sounds like a great question for the FAQ. ;)

AnOutsider's post covers it well enough.

Last edited:
  • Founders are the cars bought by insiders (board members, investors etc)
  • Signature Special is for the roadster friends and family that ordered a signature S
  • Signature is the first 1,000 (in the US) cars off the line. They have a couple options lower-tiered cars won't
  • Roadster friends and family production is for cars that are normal production run, but part of the roadster friends and family "program". They will be delivered before normal production
  • production is, of course, all other "normal" cars. The first one of these should be delivered around November-December

Unless Tesla introduces some other special series into the mix (aside from performance), all cars starting in 2013 should be normal production cars.

As a roadster owner with sig #26 reservation I would be in SS or in front of SS group? I would assume sig before sig special in terms of production order...

Are you reconsidering the Model S now? I remember you being very angry at Tesla and canceling your reservation. Good to see people coming back.

I'm not happy with the way the S was marketed a year ago, but Tesla can always redeem themselves to me going forward. Even the sleaziest televangelist on the planet (and whose zombified followers eventually threatened me) can redeem himself, what the hell I'm a fair guy. So it might take a little while, but if Tesla abides by what I consider honest marketing/company practices, they can still win me back. I hope they do!

Besides that, I'm very interested to hear feedback from the Model S trailblazers after they've taken ownership. I want Tesla to succeed with the S and beyond (and do it the right way) so I too can own my very own spacecraft ;)

Last edited: