Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RAC Future Car Challenge | Nov 3rd 2012, Brighton to London

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
HA! HA!
As a Brit, and a licence fee payer, I don't know whether to laugh or cry. Of course Tesla should be disqualified from this event, as it is not a future car it exists now! :wink:

The PR of the RAC is awful as well - they spend thousands sponsoring this event and then dismiss electric cars as irrelevant. What they should be doing is offering a mobile charging/towing service to alleviate range anxiety. Not that a Tesla model S 40 kwH base model would need it on a London- Brighton - London run!

Last edited:
The RAC is basically an insurance company that split away from the Royal Automobile Club a decade ago

RAC Limited - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As an insurance company, they make money from unreliable ICE cars. Perhaps they don't want EVs for that reason.

However it gets more confusing because the guy in the video represents RAC Foundation - the independent motoring charity

So the Future Car Challenge is organised by the Royal Automobile Club but sponsored by the RAC. Geddit?

Last edited:
As an expat Brit, I am also confused.

(Not lived there full time for a long time)

I was always an AA member.

Today, based on this post, no idea what RAC is ... but clearly NOT helpful and I would never be a member of it.

IAM (Institute of Advanced Motorists), yes or AA but not RAC. Utter gibberish.

Wonder if Tesla UK (Maidenhead) has anything to say about this?

Given petrol and diesel prices in the UK, I would think there would be even better widespread adoption of EV than in the USA.