Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Greetings from Seattle metro area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been watching Tesla from the sidelines for quite some time now and am on the verge of reserving an S. We currently own a Nissan Leaf and have been very happy with the car for around town travel and for day trips QCing along the WCGH. Our goal is to get rid of the gas burner for long distance trips and go 100% electric and the S is very impressive. My one reservation is that I'm hearing conflicting things about whether the S is truly compatible with the growing network of DC CHAdeMO chargers in WA and OR, we now have over 20. While the coming Tesla super charging stations sound awesome, the DC QC network already in place here is, well, here now and I don't want to be locked out of using them. I had two Tesla reps tell me conflicting information about the reality of a CHAdeMO adapter, one says it's definitely available now, the other said he wasn't sure when it would be available, if ever. In a video I watched of a resent stakeholder meeting, Elon made it sound like the charger in the S can handled just about anything you throw at it. If anyone has solid info on this, I'd appreciate it, it would make my decision to reserve an easy one if I knew I could use the existing network here. Thanks in advance!

Welcome. Basically no one knows about the CHAdeMO adapter at this point. As you pointed out, there have been various references that it was possible or it was something they were looking into but no confirmation yet. Tesla is building out their own Supercharging network as you said and it will likely be decent on the west coast. Probably not as many stations as CHAdeMO but better than nothing. If you were to reserve now, you likely wouldn't have to commit until spring/summer 2013 so would have plenty of time to cancel (and get your entire $5,000 reservation deposit back) if they didn't clarify the CHAdeMO situation by then.

Last edited:
Everything that I have seen seems to sugest that Tesla will have an adapter that will allow you to use CHAdeMO. It may not be available right now (as in, today) but as @dsm363 said, if you reserve today, you won't be getting you car for nearly a year, and by then I would be shocked if it still wasn't available.

do forum posts automatically require mod approval for new members? I've noticed the "waiting for approval" notice after trying to post.

The first few posts made by a new forum member do require approval - and then if there are links or attachments. Just the way the system is set up (and you'll see very little spam here, that's one of the things that helps to keep it down).