Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Dash Trim impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

efusco

Moderator - Model S & X forums
Seeing lots of talk about exterior paint color impressions, one thread on the textile interior, but no significant discussion of the dash trim materials. I'm concerned, in particular, about whether the Piano Black is shiny cheap fingerprint showing stuff, or if it looks nice and has a little texture to it to prevent fingerprints.

Leaning toward an interior upgrade to leather and a textured dash material, but would like some real world impressions from some of you who've seen the various materials in real life.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I was going for lacewood, but found the version in the car to be a bit "meh". Carbon Fiber doesn't look as "boy racer" as I'd feared it might, and is actually quite nice, though it still doesn't photograph well IMO.

The piano black unfortunately is a fingerprint magnet. It was my backup on the lacewood and there was a beta at the event that had it. I asked the guy manning the car if the current glossy state was because people were wiping it down all day (though, I hadn't seen anyone doing it) and he said it absolutely was. He said he has one in a showroom at the store he works at and it's a huge PITA to keep the finger prints off. As someone did note, however, it's much less scratch-prone than it would seem.

The matte obeche with white leather looks really good. I haven't been able to see it with a black interior to know if it still flows, but that, and white leather grew on me heavily this weekend.

2012-06-30 12.05.48.jpg

2012-06-30 12.05.51.jpg

2012-06-30 13.01.26.jpg

2012-06-30 13.01.39.jpg

2012-06-30 16.17.13.jpg

2012-06-30 16.17.26.jpg

Seeing lots of talk about exterior paint color impressions, one thread on the textile interior, but no significant discussion of the dash trim materials. I'm concerned, in particular, about whether the Piano Black is shiny cheap fingerprint showing stuff, or if it looks nice and has a little texture to it to prevent fingerprints.

Leaning toward an interior upgrade to leather and a textured dash material, but would like some real world impressions from some of you who've seen the various materials in real life.

I am not so concerned about the fingerprints, which can be wiped off, as I am about the shiny, which you can't do anything about. Just the small chrome ring around the starter button in the Prius blinds me when the sun is just right--and just right happens more frequently then you might think. I am concerned that the piano black will do the same thing only on a larger scale. I really hope I don't have to get one of those furry dash covers (do they even sell those anymore) to get rid of the problem.

I thought about going to leather, even though I dislike leather immensely, but unless you get the performance version, you don't get the really great textured dash material--only wood.

My real hope is that by the time my number rolls around these implementation foobars will be fixed.

I was going for lacewood, but found the version in the car to be a bit "meh". Carbon Fiber doesn't look as "boy racer" as I'd feared it might, and is actually quite nice, though it still doesn't photograph well IMO.

The piano black unfortunately is a fingerprint magnet. It was my backup on the lacewood and there was a beta at the event that had it. I asked the guy manning the car if the current glossy state was because people were wiping it down all day (though, I hadn't seen anyone doing it) and he said it absolutely was. He said he has one in a showroom at the store he works at and it's a huge PITA to keep the finger prints off. As someone did note, however, it's much less scratch-prone than it would seem.

The matte obeche with white leather looks really good. I haven't been able to see it with a black interior to know if it still flows, but that, and white leather grew on me heavily this weekend.

View attachment 7249
View attachment 7250
View attachment 7251
View attachment 7252
View attachment 7253
View attachment 7254

Is #5 the Lacewood? It looks quite nice.

Yes, #5 is lacewood. And the last one.

Lacewood is a tricky one; it seems to be shifting in different pictures. My theory is they have different Lacewoods used for different interior color schemes, but I could be wrong.

Yes, #5 is lacewood. And the last one.

Lacewood is a tricky one; it seems to be shifting in different pictures. My theory is they have different Lacewoods used for different interior color schemes, but I could be wrong.

Thanks. I hadn't really given that a fair look before. Would like to see it side by side with the obeche.

Thanks for all of the pictures, Outsider. Were all of your last photos showing the Lacewood (excluding the first CF picture)? If so, did it have a lot of 3D texture? When I saw it in an old beta it was extremely bumpy, yet the sample at the LA event was smooth. Your photos also make it look more light brown in color that the fairly brownish-black simple. Currently, I'm leaning toward the matte Obeche trim with either black or tan leather.

Hey bb,

Yes, all are Lacewood, sorry about the CF slipping in there, had a lot of pics to go through, must have selected one extra. The lacewood is textured, and seemingly without a protective coating. My fair is that it will scratch and get dusty-looking too easily. I emailed to ask for pics of the matte obeche with black interior, otherwise I'm going to switch to the CF (which, as I said, looks more mature than I originally assumed)

Wow, outstanding work! That's the grey interior? It's a little darker than I expected.

Had to have been the black interior -- gray isn't available.

Yup, black. The only shot of the gray was of the seats. I don't know if you're considering performance, but if you are, I think the gray perf seats are the best of the lot of them:

2012-06-30 13.26.06.jpg
2012-06-30 13.26.31.jpg

I only got closeups of the black and white since I was texting them to my wife to see, but anywho, you can sort of get an idea of them here. In person they look pretty awesome.

Thanks, that's good info. I think I'd like that textured natural finish.

I think you will too, I like it, I just worry about durability (nicks and such) and the way it can already look damaged/dusty in certain lights.

Since you were commenting about the seats, people often say a light interior stays cooler than a dark interior. It was interesting to see first hand how true that is. All of the seats were sitting on a table in direct sunlight. If you put your hand on each one starting from the white on the far right and going to the black to the far left they got progressively and VERY noticeably warmer as you moved to the darker colors. So much so that you couldn't leave your hand on the black seat because it was burning hot while the white seat was just mildly warm. I'm very happy that I have chosen the white interior.