Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

J1772 Adapter for Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think it has been shown yet. (I don't recall seeing any pictures), but is supposed to just be a stubby adapter that hangs directly off of the Model S charge port.
I wonder if they will also offer a Model S to old style Roadster socket so a Model S can use old HPC1s ?

Last edited:
I don't think it has been shown yet. (I don't recall seeing any pictures), but is supposed to just be a stubby adapter that hangs directly off of the Model S charge port.
I wonder if they will also off a Model S to old style Roadster socket so a Model S can use old HPC1s ?

When I finalized my order, I specifically requested, as part of the order, an adapter for S to HPC, as I was told they were "working on it" a couple months ago. The attitude seems to be that it will be ready at delivery or soon thereafter. There are a lot of HPCs out in the wild, and there aren't very many Superchargers yet.

I wonder if they will also offer a Model S to old style Roadster socket so a Model S can use old HPC1s ?

Many HPC owners expect this to be included with the car.

Santana Row just got the Model S J1772 Adapter in. Here are the obligatory lousy iPhone photos:

J1772-3.jpg
J1772-2.jpg
J1772-1.jpg

It's supposed to lock to the car like the regular Model S connector does.

As simple is that is, I think it looks "sexy"!

Also, I think ~some~ J1772 plugs have a lock hole where you could install a luggage type lock onto the J1772 end if you had to lock both sides.

normal_outlet_key.jpg

J1772arrow.jpg

Californians need a locking feature on their public charging stations, due to their wacko EV charging law. If someone unplugs their EV, The State will tow and impound their car, leaving them stranded with no transportation.

GSP

Locking the adapter to your car is fine, but wouldn't it be considered bad charging etiquette to lock a public charging station to your car? That could prevent another EV owner from using the station if you don't return to your car as soon at charging is complete.

^^^^ Check out the thread Doug linked above for discussion on plug sharing and the CA law that prevents it ^^^^^

I really like the J1772 adaptor for the S. It has a very robust look to it, and is even smaller than hcsharp's "can" J1772 adaptor for thr roadster.

Great job Tesla!

GSP

a video showing how it works

A bit weird that you have to unlock the J1172 side, then pull on the adapter to unhook it from the car. I'll guess that's because, unlike Roadster, there's no switch on the Tesla side. I'm sure people will unplug the J1772 side first on occasion.

Also interesting that even though the charge port door was open, the Model S side was locked so he couldn't plug in. I wonder what's going on there?

It was inspired by hcsharps's roadster adapter I think! :biggrin:

As brilliant as the CAN is, Tesla described the "beer can" adapter form to us at the Fremont Factory EVent last October.

The CAN's size is determined by the Tesla plug size. For the S the made the plug size smaller so the adapter can be smaller.