Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster switches to performance mode by itself

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
S

smoothoperator

Anyone have a problem where the Roadster switches to performance mode by itself? This was observed (actually saw the battery icon change from Range to Performance by itself) on several occasions on my most recent road-trip. It seemed to happen more frequently on long hilly stretches of highway. I am wondering if this is a firmware bug or something else.

Maybe dumb question, but I have to ask - are you sure it is not inadvertent?

Roadster can be switched to performance mode by (a) turning ignition switch, (b) tapping on the battery capacity image on the VDS, or (c) remotely via something like Tattler or OVMS.

I've (frequently) done it by accident by tapping on the batter capacity image, rather then NEXT screen button, while driving.

Maybe dumb question, but I have to ask - are you sure it is not inadvertent?

Roadster can be switched to performance mode by (a) turning ignition switch, (b) tapping on the battery capacity image on the VDS, or (c) remotely via something like Tattler or OVMS.

I've (frequently) done it by accident by tapping on the batter capacity image, rather then NEXT screen button, while driving.

Yea I know....I actually saw it change by itself, the first few times I thought I had somehow put it into performance mode by inadvertently touching the screen. I was looking at the VDS and saw it change by itself from Range to Performance.

My roadster has turned to Range Mode on a few occasions. I'll be driving along and notice the est miles jump up by about 20 miles! It has happened when I was driving on cruise control...... I do that a lot at night on back roads to bring est and ideal miles together and compensate for the mad commute that generally sets them about 25-30 miles apart.

Don't know why the shift to Range but I just assume the cruse control had something to do with it and forget it.

I have also had the car change to range mode while driving. Not sure the 1.5 can change modes by turning the key or tapping on the VDS, that doesn't seam to work for me...

Key turn to change driving mode was when stopped and parking brake applied. Try that.

There was a 1.5 firmware upgrade more than a year ago that enabled this by simply touching the battery on the VDS. Tesla Rocks.

I think there is something very weird going on with my Roadster it now charges to 195 miles in standard mode over the past few days it was charging to 192....I calibrated it and the past two charges are now 195....Perhaps now it is randomly charging in Range Mode but displaying Ideal Miles in standard mode? Or is my battery getting stronger over time :rolleyes:?