Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If only the production Model S looked like this...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla-03-0612-lgn.jpg

instead of this...

Tesla_S_web*280.jpg

tesla-model-s-beta-01-vga.jpg

The former was so sleek, with a tapered front and back, while the production S has no lower taper in the front and has a rear that looks droopy! I wonder what ultimately made them change the exterior!

TeslaModelS_Tesla.jpg

tesla-model-s-white-4.jpg

Probably aerodynamics. Personally though, I look back at the flier I got at the model s event back in 09 and I'm surprised I was so enamored. It does look more aston-like (probably die to henrik?), but I think the design feels dated at this point, and I'm glad it was "freshened up".

Its such a shame as I think that would have it better compete with cars... on just looks alone! Friends of mine (and myself included) think the production version is too Mazda-like in its overall feel/impression, while the original alpha had some cool, unique swag (for lack of a better adjective) that I think put it more in line with the Astons of the world rather than the Mazadas/Acuras.

At first my thought was "I don't grok"

Then I started seeing the subtle (to me) differences: fog lights, mirrors, regular lights have all been made larger. Fog lights moved lower.
These seem like reasonable changes based on functionality, not looks. Fog lights should be near the ground. I like the large mirrors in practice. Maybe the previous lights weren't bright enough.

Still a darn cool car.

Me thinks someone is trying to stir the pot.:wink:

Yeah. I don't think bringing this up now does much of anything. I actually like the new design and it's very close to the prototype so people should be happy about that if they liked the original. Look at the Volt prototype compared to the production version. Tesla was able to stay true to the original design.

Eh, I disagree. Even though the changes are small, I like the overall shape and look of the production model better. The only thing I really don't like is the side turn lamps. They look cheap. I also wish the plastic skirt on the rear wasn't so big and I wish it didn't have the reflectors on it (I wish reflectors were built into the taillights).

Wow, really? @SoCalGuy, that is some serious nitpicking! ;-) As a matter of fact, I had the opposite reaction. I went to Fremont and saw that big concept painting on the wall behind the car and was struck how similar the final thing was to that painting dated 2009. Concept designs are usually so far from the final product and this is amazingly close.

I agree that the 3-D logo on the side in front of the drivers side door was cool (and highlighted in that painting), but they have tried so hard to reduce the drag coefficient, that I'll bet that's why it was eliminated. Anything disrupting the laminar flow of air over the car that could be eliminated, was eliminated.

My guess is bumper standards made both the front and rear less tapered. There's extra definition under the headlights that was not there in the prototype (it's subtle though). The rear end also has the trunk more recessed and the rear bumper more extended, rather than a smooth tapered surface. I remember this thread where someone made a big deal about the crash worthiness of the front end of the prototype:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/5893-Design-Flaw-Front-End-Collision-Expensive-Repairs

Overall, I think the changes were fairly subtle though. And the changes they did make seemed to be absolutely necessary for the functionality.

I agree that the 3-D logo on the side in front of the drivers side door was cool (and highlighted in that painting), but they have tried so hard to reduce the drag coefficient, that I'll bet that's why it was eliminated. Anything disrupting the laminar flow of air over the car that could be eliminated, was eliminated.

@1:50 in this video that was supposedly a funtional vent
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFGmRRg_qx0

I like the new design. It's more sporty looking. Then again, I also liked the aggressive nose of the alpha. Can't please them all

The prototype was a some beauty, I'll give you that. Especially the white one.. The silver (now painted sig red) one was nice too. These two visions were what got me to put the deposit down without skipping a heartbeat.

But I have to say the production version is really gorgeous looking too. Its still got that "jaguary" look that I was attracted to. Yeah, its different than the original prototypes, and I got over that so long ago I can't remember how long its been now since the alphas were first shown (was that Feb of 2011?? Geesh, I can't believe it). Sure, there are some things to nitpick about the production model (we've done that 2-3 times over since Feb 2011), but nothing is changing my view of what Tesla has been able to pull off with Model S. They have met and went way beyond my expectations. Job well done Tesla!!

I have to say that I agree in general -- I wish that the original design prototype could have been preserved. Particularly the front end, and the sleeker side treatment (without the black strip under the body color, and the chrome piece under the doors).

That said, the production car is still beautiful and I look forward to taking delivery of mine!