Thread: Renault 'kill' off Type3 and commit to Type 2

Renault 'kill' off Type3 and commit to Type 2

Name:  Type2-Type3-mennekes.jpg
Views: 1079
Size:  92.2 KB

This is 'old' news (27 March 2012) in French which Goole Translates as;

Charging stations: Renault announces the end of "Type 3"

27/03/2012 - The European standardization is finally in sight.

Socket-type and e type 3He are several standards for plugs for electric vehicles. This plurality is clearly an obstacle to the development of electric cars, since at the infrastructure level, those who invest should know which standard to choose.

We previously reported that Renault, which uses the standard "Type 3" (left in our illustration) on the Kangoo ZE and Fluence, was passed to "Type 2" on Zoe (right in our illustration). Then there is an anomaly, the use of two standards. We contacted a director of the technical range X10 (Zoe) Renault to know the intentions of the manufacturer, and they are very clear. Future versions of the Kangoo and Fluence will adopt the same specifications as the Zoe or Type 2, which is also known under the name of its inventor, German Mennekes. We must plan there will be more than one electric car in standard type 3 in production by 2014.

This is a good and great news, all electric cars will meet the same European standard, and can plug into the same outlet. The Milanese example, can come to France and French utliser terminals. Taking Type 2 is indeed already widely used throughout Europe, with the support of the European Union, very happy to reach a standard. Our illustration shows Günther Oettinger, the European Commission, Commissioner for Energy. It supports Type 2 like all the automakers through their trade association, ACEA. We realize also that if there is a lobby in favor of Type 3, there is no manufacturer of cars to be part ... Beyond politics, the manufacturers have decided to primarily qualitative supremacy of Type 2, which allows refills to 44 kW when the Type 3 is limited to 22 kW.

Those planning to invest in infrastructure for recharging electric cars no longer have to hesitate. Just follow the example of Renault. Of course, all manufacturers can do both terminals Type 2 or Type 3, and the price is the same.
    Kevin Sharpe - Founder and Patron for UK registered charity Zero Carbon World. Founder and Chairman Mainpine Group. http://about.me/kevinsharpe

Good, but... I think a lot of those car park installs (inc what we saw on here) are type 3 so they are now going to have to rip all that out. Daft.

Great news! The Type 2 connectors is really a good one.

I really think we'll start seeing a lot of ZOE's on the road, but I've also spotted a couple of Fluence and Kangoo ZE's already, with Type 1 though
    BMW M5 E39 - Kawasaki Z750R - 3-phase power - Not a Roadster owner, but the co-owner of my/our company is

85kWh - 19" Cyclone grey - Pearl White - Tech Package - PDC - Sunroof - Twin-Chargers - Light package - Nappa Leather

Quote Originally Posted by widodh View Post
    I really think we'll start seeing a lot of ZOE's on the road, but I've also spotted a couple of Fluence and Kangoo ZE's already, with Type 1 though
    According to a Renault event I attended, all "Gen 2" vehicles will have Type 2 (and hopefully 43kW charging).
    Kevin Sharpe - Founder and Patron for UK registered charity Zero Carbon World. Founder and Chairman Mainpine Group. http://about.me/kevinsharpe

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Sharpe View Post
    According to a Renault event I attended, all "Gen 2" vehicles will have Type 2 (and hopefully 43kW charging).
    Yes, that is nice!

Makes the Kangoo a great vehicle for postal services. Charge during lunch for 45 min on 3x32A and you're good to go again!
    BMW M5 E39 - Kawasaki Z750R - 3-phase power - Not a Roadster owner, but the co-owner of my/our company is

85kWh - 19" Cyclone grey - Pearl White - Tech Package - PDC - Sunroof - Twin-Chargers - Light package - Nappa Leather

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Sharpe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by widodh View Post
    Yes, that is nice!

Makes the Kangoo a great vehicle for postal services. Charge during lunch for 45 min on 3x32A and you're good to go again!
    What good You see in having overpowered onboard charger? This is very, very bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Kane View Post
    What good You see in having overpowered onboard charger? This is very, very bad idea.
    Why? In fact it is a brilliant idea! It uses the same charger of the regenerative braking, no extra cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Bipo View Post
    Why? In fact it is a brilliant idea! It uses the same charger of the regenerative braking, no extra cost.
    Like AC Propulsion Reductive Charger? How do You know?

Quote Originally Posted by Kane View Post
    Like AC Propulsion Reductive Charger? How do You know?
    In fact I don't really know... I've heard some people tell that the Chameleon charger uses the wound rotor of the motor to convert AC into DC, others told me that uses the rectifiers of regenerative braking... I'm sorry but I'm not sure of how it works, but is obvious that it works and that it's cheap.

Thread Information