Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S turn signal stalk positioning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Stuart

Roadster#326, ModelS#1409
Supporting Member
May 23, 2009
San Jose, CA
In my test drive on Saturday I noticed that the Model S turn signal stalk is lower than I'm used to. When signaling a turn I kept hitting the cruise control stalk instead of the turn signal stalk.

Maybe this is because I'm used to holding the steering wheel in the traditional 10-2 position. Modern advice for cars with steering wheel airbags seems to be to hold the wheel at 9-3 or even 8-4.

Is Tesla just being weird here, or is Tesla being ahead of the times by recognizing the new recommended hand positioning?

It's a Mercedes wheel and stalks. Mercedes drivers complain about it, too, so it is surprising that Tesla didn't remedy it when they adapted the components. I guess they had time pressures. Note that Model X apparently has Tesla designed steering wheel and stalks.

It's a Mercedes wheel and stalks. Mercedes drivers complain about it, too, so it is surprising that Tesla didn't remedy it when they adapted the components. I guess they had time pressures. Note that Model X apparently has Tesla designed steering wheel and stalks.

Looks like the X has the same setup unfortunately. Ah well, at least we get the iPod controls.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340768843.290990.jpg

I'm still dissappointed that we didn't get push buttons or even touchscreen buttons for "gear" shifting. (I would love the touchscreen buttons too. I just want as much 'future' as possible, lol)

Anyways, I guess we'll just get used to it.

In my test drive on Saturday I noticed that the Model S turn signal stalk is lower than I'm used to. When signaling a turn I kept hitting the cruise control stalk instead of the turn signal stalk.

Maybe this is because I'm used to holding the steering wheel in the traditional 10-2 position. Modern advice for cars with steering wheel airbags seems to be to hold the wheel at 9-3 or even 8-4.

Is Tesla just being weird here, or is Tesla being ahead of the times by recognizing the new recommended hand positioning?

My safe driving class (oh, hush ;-) recommended none of the above; you should hold at opposite sides, one hand higher up and the other lower down. I don't recall clock-based examples (though surely they had them), but I think like 10-4, 11-5, or even (though it would seem weird to me) 8-2 or 7-1. I'm not sure who's recommending what ;-) but I don't know that there's a consensus. The reasons in my (online) safety class were, of course, safety related--but specifically, maneuverability/control of wheel, IIRC--not anything related to whether you had airbags.

Every car I drive has things in weird places--none of them like my car. ;-) There may be a "standard" position for things, but I can't tell by the cars I rent.

I was raised (parental and instructors) on 10-2 but, when using both hands, have always been naturally inclined to something more like 10-4. Something about the 180 degree symmetry felt more "in control" to me. Sounds somewhat like what kendallpb is describing.

I was raised (parental and instructors) on 10-2 but, when using both hands, have always been naturally inclined to something more like 10-4. Something about the 180 degree symmetry felt more "in control" to me. Sounds somewhat like what kendallpb is describing.

Ditto. I find resting my left arm on the window sill (rolled down) and grabbing around 10-11 with the other hand (when needed) at around 4-5 makes me feel most in control.

I've got a Mercedes rental again this weekend. Last time around the gear shift annoyed the hell out of me. I'll try the cruise control this time (since I'm not likely to get a chance to try it in the S).

Given that the steering wheel itself has obvious grips at 10 and 2, that would seem to be the natural place to hold the wheel. It's certainly where I normally do. I do find it strange, and I commented to my "co-pilot" about it, who said that it does take getting used to. It is straight out of the Mercedes parts bin, as others have noted. I'm sure I'll get used to it without too much trouble.

Anything higher than 9-3 is unsafe in modern cars. If you get into an accident and the airbag goes off you will punch yourself in the head, break your wrists, etc.

9-3 also gives you better leverage on the wheel. If you take advanced driver training, the vast majority of schools will teach 9-3.

Anything higher than 9-3 is unsafe in modern cars. If you get into an accident and the airbag goes off you will punch yourself in the head, break your wrists, etc.

9-3 also gives you better leverage on the wheel. If you take advanced driver training, the vast majority of schools will teach 9-3.
That's a good point. Airbags are newer than the 10-2 indoctrination timeline I was referencing.

That's good to know. That's what you almost have to do in the Roadster since the horns are there and you can't find them in an emergency if you happen to have your steering wheel turned.

That's the way I've been used to anyway the past few years so nice to know that is recommended anyway.

Just being contrary - this sounded fantastical to me so I searched it in several different ways. I found plenty of websites saying it could happen, but not one single report of it actually happening. Anyone know of one?

Just being contrary - this sounded fantastical to me so I searched it in several different ways. I found plenty of websites saying it could happen, but not one single report of it actually happening. Anyone know of one?

Yep, my buddy was in a head on and lost quite a bit of blood from the airbag scraping his forearms. Didn't break his wrists though. It's one of the reasons I drive at six o'clock mostly or at just 9 o'clock since I'm shifting with the right hand in the MINI.