Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What happens if key fob is separated from running car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd imagine you would keep driving but couldn't start your car back up again after turning it off? Good one. I'd recommend against doing it though:smile:

Basically. Our A6 has this and if the key is no longer with the car, it beeps a bit, but won't shut down. You won't be able to do anything with the car after you shut it off without the key though.

:cursing:
.. I really want to know, what happens if, while driving the car, you throw the key fob out the window?

:scared:

There sounds like there should be a story behind this. Are you planning on having a fight with your wife/girlfriend? Or, have a fight with your wife about your girlfriend wherein she lobs your fob out the window?

Back to reality. It's probably been mentioned before but how many fobs do you get with the car? If you want more, can you buy them ahead of time? And how much do they cost?

There sounds like there should be a story behind this. Are you planning on having a fight with your wife/girlfriend? Or, have a fight with your wife about your girlfriend wherein she lobs your fob out the window?

The mole says an argment between the two got out of hand shortly after midnight on Sunday morning, when Brown pulled his brown Lamborghini to the side of the road in the Hancock Park area of Los Angeles. Rihanna reportedly grabbed Brown’s keys and threw them out the car window, which threw Brown into a rage.

*ahem*... Chris, is that you?

.. I really want to know, what happens if, while driving the car, you throw the key fob out the window?

It's a good question, but perhaps the more realistic example, or at least the example that doesn't foretell domestic disputes, is when you go to the valet and leave the key in your pocket while the valet drives off with the car.

I presume, like others, that the car can run once it's on, but once it is "off" and away from the key, won't go on again until near the key again.

Maybe it'll just slow down and stop? At least that's what they could program it do when the Get Amped test drivers get too crazy, even with a new 75 mph speed limit. That way the co-pilot can just toss the key. A bit like the safety cord on a jetski. :)

Once the security ECU has confirmed the fob, then it doesn't check again until the car is powered down. A question is: What happens if you lose both fobs? In the 2001 Prius you have to purchase a new security ECU (not even remotely cheap), in the 2004+ the dealer can reset the security ECU (for a price but far lower than a new ECU). So should you lose one, you really need to get another.

So does anyone know what Tesla's policy is on this?

(ECU = embedded computing unit)

Once the security ECU has confirmed the fob, then it doesn't check again until the car is powered down.

May not be the case. Like AO said about his Audi, my Mini beeps and immediately shows a 'no key' icon on the dash if the key flies away but, the car can continue to be operated normally till it's turned off; after that, you are SOL till the key comes back.

Same with the Bimmer. Also, if you lock the key in the trunk, it beeps three times and pops the trunk. Anyone have any idea if the key does this if you lock the key in the trunk or frunk??

Excellent question! I've tried to do it a couple of times at work (by putting the Mini's fob in the gym bag and that in the trunk with everything locked up) but, this facility helped me from getting locked out!