Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance 21" wheels in snow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I plan on ordering the Performance version (P# 1117) soon and wondering what others that live in snow country plan to do for winter tires.
The 21" performance tires just don't seem at all practical for those of us living in snow country, so as of now I'll probably buy an extra set of 19" wheels/tires for winter driving.
Any other thoughts/ideas about this? Anyone know of 3rd party wheels that fit the S yet?
Has anyone gotten a quote from Tesla for and extra set of 19" wheels/tires?

I'm retired and don't do a lot of winter snow driving, but cannot handle the idea of not being able to use my S all winter.
Anyone interested in selling their 19" wheels/tires?

I live in NW Indiana, and we get tons of lake effect snow here. I plan on getting the Performance Model S as well, but won't be buying the 19" tires from Tesla, mainly because they're technically not snow tires. I figure that if I'm going to spend the extra money on a second set of wheels, I might as well buy what I actually need. TireRack.com is now showing four different snow tires for the Model S, so I'll be getting a set to swap out during the winter months.

Tesla will sell the 19" wheels alone and also 19" wheels with winter tires eventually but they haven't come up with a price yet.

My advice would be to get the 21" wheels and performance tires and then get a set of 19" wheels when they become available and throw a set of non-studded snow tires on them.

I'm getting these: http://www.nokiantires.com/tyre?id=11949&group=1.01&name=Nokian+Hakkapeliitta+R

I was planning on getting a cheap set of 17" or 18" rims, however small I can get & still fit around the caliper, which'll allow for a much greater tire selection as well as allow for taller rubber. This'll give me a bit more protection against potholes, ice clumps & curbs.

Based on the specifications, it looks like 19" BMW wheels will fit. I'm sure Tire Rack will confirm within a few months once they can get a car to measure.

I have been looking fior such detailled specs.
Where did you see it ? I was expecting a wheel nut patttern like Mercedes Benz, since they share other parts.

It would be great if I could keep my actual Bemmer wheels and snow tires...

I was planning on getting a cheap set of 17" or 18" rims, however small I can get & still fit around the caliper, which'll allow for a much greater tire selection as well as allow for taller rubber. This'll give me a bit more protection against potholes, ice clumps & curbs.

I'm thinking the same... In an ice/snow country where we are "experts" with winter tires not many people would suggest 19" winter tires, poor selection, especially when you look in to studs. I think 17" is the way to go for winter.

But still no specs from Tesla as to minimum diameter/caliper size, wheel well size etc. A bit strange since they've strarted delivering actual cars. There must be some early signature buyers in Canada who could shed some light on this???

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I have been looking fior such detailled specs.
Where did you see it ? I was expecting a wheel nut patttern like Mercedes Benz, since they share other parts.

It would be great if I could keep my actual Bemmer wheels and snow tires...

Various other posters had the hub diameter and wheel offset disclosed to them by Tesla. Search other posts and look here. I matched it to BMW specs. I expected MB as well - but it looks like that was wrong.

But still no specs from Tesla as to minimum diameter/caliper size, wheel well size etc. A bit strange since they've strarted delivering actual cars. There must be some early signature buyers in Canada who could shed some light on this???

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
I saw the car in person and looked at the clearance of the caliper. The 19" wheels look like they barely clear. You might get some 18's to fit, but any smaller diameter will not.

ModelS with 19in wheels coming soon so I ordered 17in 5x120 bolt pattern 42 mm +offset ("BMW") 73mm centerbore aftermarket rims 17" x 7.5". Stock is 40mm but the 2 mm move outward corrects use of slightly narrower rims up front. Thus steering should remain stock.

These are of course NOT forged rims like Tesla provides, but typically will be 1600 lbs each max load. Being significantly smaller diameter means much less structural loading plus all that softer tire to absorb shock. So no fear, but I will be checking for cracks in the alloy rims fer sure.

These are for my favorite Winterforce snows 225/60/17 that take 6" to 8" rims and turn 753 rev/mile, same rev/mile as either 19 or 21 Tesla wheels. Tesla Shop had set of 4 TPMS modules to go on the new rims.
--

I plan on ordering the Performance version (P# 1117) soon and wondering what others that live in snow country plan to do for winter tires.
The 21" performance tires just don't seem at all practical for those of us living in snow country, so as of now I'll probably buy an extra set of 19" wheels/tires for winter driving.
Any other thoughts/ideas about this? Anyone know of 3rd party wheels that fit the S yet?
Has anyone gotten a quote from Tesla for and extra set of 19" wheels/tires?

I'm retired and don't do a lot of winter snow driving, but cannot handle the idea of not being able to use my S all winter.
Anyone interested in selling their 19" wheels/tires?

I'm in Vermont, and I plan to use your same strategy: 21 & 19 inch wheels. Since your June post, Tesla has added wheel/tire sets to their online store Perhaps you've seen it. The Hakkapeliitta winter tire they're selling is quite a good winter tire, probably the best on the market.

I'm in Vermont, and I plan to use your same strategy: 21 & 19 inch wheels. Since your June post, Tesla has added wheel/tire sets to their online store Perhaps you've seen it. The Hakkapeliitta winter tire they're selling is quite a good winter tire, probably the best on the market.

I believe the Hakkapeliittas that Tesla is selling are only studded. If you want the Hakkapeliitta R's, you'd have to buy the rims alone get the tires separately.