Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powder Coating Wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm now thinking of getting either the black or gray with 19" wheels...but I really like the look of the dark wheels.

Has anyone given a thought to having your 19s powder coated? I think it only costs a few hundred dollars....much cheaper than upgrading to performance :).

Any comments? Has anyone powder coated their wheels before, and were you happy with it?

I'm now thinking of getting either the black or gray with 19" wheels...but I really like the look of the dark wheels.

Has anyone given a thought to having your 19s powder coated? I think it only costs a few hundred dollars....much cheaper than upgrading to performance :).

I had the same thought. Even if I go with the Performance S, I still would prefer the 19" wheels for a number of reasons. But I too like the dark wheels. Would be great if Tesla offered the 19" wheels in the dark finish.

• Helpful
Reactions: CLLACAB
I'm planning on ordering the Performance version with carbon gray wheels. However, this is just not a viable option for those of us in snow country winters, so I plan to buy an extra set of 19" wheels/tires for winter driving. Has anyone asked Tesla yet what it would cost to order an extra set of 19" wheels/tires? Anyone on this board interested in selling their standard 19" wheels/tires?

I had exactly this thought after seeing the Dolphin Grey with the Carbon Grey wheels at the Fremont event. WOW. What a knockout. But, I don't want to do the 21" rims. So, I made a quick and dirty Photoshop mockup based on one of the thumbnails in the design studio, to see how the 19" might look with a powder coat. I think it's a nice look, and if you could get a good approximation of the Carbon Grey in a powder coat finish, I'd sure be tempted.

Grey regular painted sim2.png

Not bad at all. Is it an autobody shop, an industrial powdercoat/paint shop, or...? Just wondering what to look for!

It's a machine shop. If I remember the process as they described it, they first soak it in a solution that removes any existing finish and impurities. Then apply a primer chemical that helps bond the paint to the metal. Then apply the powder. Then bake it. I saw some nice 2-color wheels they had done.

http://www.racemetalsmiths.com/
Tell them the guy with the Tesla Roadster sent you.

It's a machine shop. If I remember the process as they described it, they first soak it in a solution that removes any existing finish and impurities. Then apply a primer chemical that helps bond the paint to the metal. Then apply the powder. Then bake it. I saw some nice 2-color wheels they had done.

http://www.racemetalsmiths.com/
Tell them the guy with the Tesla Roadster sent you.
#30 ?