Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Infomation from First Drive Reviews

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This thread is to put to rest all those little things we have wanted to know but have been unavailable until now that the cars are getting into the hands of reviewers and customers. Post your tidbits here!

Tidbit 1: the car uses an accelerometer to tell itself when to put on the brakelights when slowing using regen (brilliant).

Tidbit 2: each display is powered by Tesla's own OS running on a Tegra 3 SoC -- both computers communicate via Ethernet and a gateway provides an interface with the vehicle's ECU.

Tidbit 3: the screen is easy to read in direct sunlight.

Tidbit 4: on the "key" car, pressing the frunk opens the frunk, pressing the trunk opens the trunk and pressing the roof unlocks the car.

Tisbit 5: the door handles open upon touch and close when the car is put in gear.

Good idea. Might also be a good idea to link to where/how you found the information. I know the accelerometer bit was from the engadget review, but I didn't catch where it was established Tesla built their own OS (we've been speculating for a while). I do think it was known re: the key though.

Tidbit 2: each display is powered by Tesla's own OS running on a Tegra 3 SoC -- both computers communicate via Ethernet and a gateway provides an interface with the vehicle's ECU.
I guess it is still Linux based. Writing your own OS is a LOT of work, seriously.

Internal comm via ethernet/IP is cool! Wonder if you can poll diag data via IP out of the car :)

@AnOutsider:

Good idea!

Tidbit 1: the car uses an accelerometer to tell itself when to put on the brakelights when slowing using regen (brilliant).
Tesla Model S first drive: the sports sedan goes electric (update: video) -- Engadget

Tesla Model S first drive: the sports sedan goes electric (update: video) -- Engadget

Tidbit 3: the screen is easy to read in direct sunlight.
and
Tesla Model S: First drive of the electric sedan that will change the world or die trying | The Lookout - Yahoo! News

Tidbit 4: on the "key" car, pressing the frunk opens the frunk, pressing the trunk opens the trunk and pressing the roof unlocks the car.
Tesla Model S: First drive of the electric sedan that will change the world or die trying | The Lookout - Yahoo! News
and

Tisbit 5: the door handles open upon touch and close when the car is put in gear.
Tesla Model S first drive: Quiet satisfaction | The Car Tech blog - CNET Reviews
and
Great pictures of the handles here.

... I didn't catch where it was established Tesla built their own OS (we've been speculating for a while)....

This article goes back to it being Android-based:

The cockpit of the 2012 Tesla Model S is dominated by a 17-inch touchscreen. It's reminiscent of a giant iPad, but is built around Android architecture as Google was an early investor in Tesla. It controls all of the car's major functions and should ensure that the Model S is both easy to update and to personalize.

2012 Tesla Model S First Drive and Video

I'm sorry, I can't remember where I saw this, but one of the reviews said that the number of LED's lit in the ring around the charge port would indicate how much charge was left in the battery.

Good idea. Might also be a good idea to link to where/how you found the information. I know the accelerometer bit was from the engadget review, but I didn't catch where it was established Tesla built their own OS (we've been speculating for a while). I do think it was known re: the key though.
My understanding is it's Linux based and is from Nvidia.

I'm sorry, I can't remember where I saw this, but one of the reviews said that the number of LED's lit in the ring around the charge port would indicate how much charge was left in the battery.

Why is that better than colors?
Roadster colors just tell you:

Open (white)
Ready (blue)
Charging (yellow) speed of blinking gives an indication how full the battery is
Full (green)
Problem (red)

So does the Model S change speed of blinking to quantity of lamps lit?

Running Tesla. (not the car company)

Do you mean running on TEGra ?
Badge_Tegra_3D.jpg

Then why do we keep seeing periodic news articles saying that the software is Android based? I don't ask because I assume you know the answer necessarily.

All I can say is this "get your tech news from tech news sites". The other general news sites make big mistakes all the time and don't know it. It would be analogous to getting weather information from Engadget like this: "Today's Engadget weather forecast calls for high fan speeds, warm boots in the north and a low memory pressure system moving in from the valley".

For tech news about Model S, it's either here (TMC), Engadget, TechCrunch, GigaOM or TheVerge. I've lost faith in Gawker Media (Gizmodo/Jalopnik) to be a good source of tech information.