Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California should have EV license plates - letter writing campaign

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Trnsl8r

S85 2012-2018, X90 since 2016, 3 since 2018
Aug 20, 2011
San Jose, CA
Hi all,

I decided to write my state senator and assemblyperson to suggest that California get EV specific license plates, like Massachusetts and Hawaii, described in this blog post: Massachusetts will distribute happy little EV license plates

You can find out your district and representatives on this retro looking web site: http://192.234.213.69/smapsearch/framepage.asp

I wrote with the argument of eliminating the HOV stickers and informing emergency responders that it is not a gas powered vehicle.

What do you think?

Been pushing it for years. There probably a thread here on TMC somewhere on it. Plug in America has tried on some levels.

Other suggestions have included a plate symbol to replace letter or number (plug or lightening bolt) and a special plate sticker. I like the plate idea best as we can retain our Vanity plates.

Been pushing it for years. There probably a thread here on TMC somewhere on it. Plug in America has tried on some levels.

Other suggestions have included a plate symbol to replace letter or number (plug or lightening bolt) and a special plate sticker. I like the plate idea best as we can retain our Vanity plates.

Or some sort of background image like the whale tail? Or plate stickers... Honestly, I'm OK with anything that gets me out of the fugly HOV stickers. There, hidden agenda revealed.

Well, there's a reason some of us risk getting stopped by not putting the stickers in the 'right' place (which I never got an official document specifying, honestly, officer).

The sticker doesn't look quite so bad in the rear window, and it doesn't block my view one bit. I've been followed twice, and both times the officers have decided I wasn't worth it. (Though it's still at your own risk kind of thing).

I doubt the state would move away from the stickers, because the stickers can be more easily deprecated (like they did for the yellow - though they should make keeping the yellow stickers on illegal, IMO, just causes confusion - too close to the white).

(But then, one argument against the stickers is that they're too easy to forge - yeah, I once saw yellow stickers on a Crown Vic that was visibly not a conversion of any kind! Some people are shameless...)

I have no problem with front license plates (assuming TM figures out a better way to mount them on Model S than slab dab in the middle of nose cone, but that's a different topic). I just think an EV plate makes more sense than bumper stickers, with or without holograms.

NFPA commends Massachusetts for new electric vehicle license plates
Massachusetts Stamps a Catch-All Plate for E.V.s, Plug-Ins and Hybrids - NYTimes.com
Massachusetts Offers Special EV License Plate
wheels-massplate-blog480.jpg

1712499.jpg

(not restricted to electric vehicles, just people who want some money donated to environmental causes.)

hawaii-ev-plate.jpg

different meaning in Pennsylvania:
EV-30359.JPG