Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autoline Detroit at the Show

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just watched Autoline Detroit with John McElroy's report from the Detroit show. He interviewed several people, mostly other automotive industry journalists, and they talked about -- indeed gushed over -- a number of vehicles. Everybody seemed to love the new Cadillac coupe thing, and there was praise for something from Audi, something from BMW, new pickups from Ford and Dodge, and a number of other things. . .

Sorry for being vague, but none of it made much impression on me. Why should I care about any of these cars?

I thought the biggest news out of the show was the Fisker Karma and the trio of Dodge Envi concept cars. Care to guess how much attention they got from John and his interviewees? Go on, guess!

Yep. They got nothing. There was no mention at all. No pictures either. Anybody watching this show would have no idea those cars exist.

The closest they came to talking about electric cars was when they got to the Toyota A-BAT hybrid pickup and noted that it doesn't look like "a toy car" the way the Prius does.

This is why I think the automotive industry still is in denial, still hasn't gotten serious about getting off oil. They've figured out that it's hip to be "green" and they all paying lip service and making token gestures and putting on PR spin to try and make themselves look green, but almost nobody in Detroit has a FREAKIN CLUE about what's really at stake.