Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speculation about the Opportunity Console

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Please make a modular dock area in the console for iPhones/iPods and other phones or mp3 players. This would somehow hopefully directly connect to the Model S without needing BT to play music. Tesla could sell drop-in docks that fit various popular models. Others could connect via aux cable. Thanks!

more USB ports 10w-15w or more to support devices like iPad charging.
110vac port 85w or so to support laptop recharging
phone/iphone cradle/dock (exchangeable for the phone) so it does not fall and can be charged/used.
Place to put laptop/ipad while it charges, vertical slot (potential closeable to hide)

Lockable section for wallet, etc.
More cup holders (bigger)
Place for food.
Place for change/tokens

I love the idea of this console. The empty space there has been the only thing that I really haven't been excited about.

I think one would have to think about what is useful in this area, what is practical for the automobile, and what doesn't detract from the overall style of the car.

In my opinion, I don't think this has to be much to really be useful.

I like the idea of at least one compartment for a variety of items: chargers, wallets, small purse, keys. Another compartment would be close to where the existing cigarette lighters and USB ports are for hiding said devices that are charging or "permanently" plugged in such as a USB stick for music or hard drive. I don't know how practical laptop charging would be, but perhaps it would be nice to have a port through which a charging wire would exit the compartment and could be plugged into a device outside the compartment.

I was thinking something like this (more elevated, less elevated...):

console.jpg

Pop-out cupholders

Cupholders won't be an issue for me since I'm not allowing anyone with a beverage into my Model S!! :biggrin:

Seriously, for those that occasionally want the option of cupholders, particularly for passengers in the rear, but don't want to impact the clean uncluttered look at most other times, pop-out cupholders would be ideal.

Larry

Uh oh, this thread is going to turn into an episode of "Pimp My Ride"! I need a blender in my console.

The Plus: Kudos to Tesla for listening and responding to their customers. What other car company would do this?

The Minus: If I spring for this the car will cost even more! (Gulp) Don't tell my wife...

I'm putting a vinyl (record) player in mine
it should fit nicely since I don't have a cell phone anymore
maybe an 8track too

seriously though, all of the things I carry are too big for a small spot and too small for a big spot and will fit perfectly in the car, as is
- wallet/hat/beer growler(for H20 ... or $8 pitchers of local beers)

Last edited:
If I were getting an S (but no, have to wait for an X), I'd like a couple cupholders & a few compartments that close - a large one for a purse and some smaller ones for organizing other *things*. A phone tray. It will be interesting to see the different console concepts on Saturday (Thanks Jason S for inviting me along!). Seeing the consoles will help me better verbalize what works.

And love the tag 'opportunity console'. Brilliant naming.

It is strange that the forum is here and not on the Tesla web site, but they probably had reasons for that.

I would like for the opportunity console to have storage space with electric outlet. The main thing for this storage is to have a sliding cover, so I can close the cover and nobody would see my mess.
If the inside of the storage can have additional bottle holders, it would be great. For example I would keep 3-4 water bottles there, while having a coffee in the cup holder. During the trip I can always go in the storage console and pull out a bottle.
Another thought is to have a garbage bucket there. Everybody has trash in the car, where do you put it? If the opportunity console had a trash bucket, i would open it throw my McDonalds bag or empty bottle in there, and close it - no mess! When arrived home, I can empty the trash.

PLUS a nice big refrigerator to keep the drinks and food cold.

I think you may be semi-joking, but I had a 2001 Lexus LS430 with the executive package. It had a "cool" box between the rear seats. I LOVED that!!! I usually kept a few waters in there and it was one of my favorite features.

One option I was thinking about (and it doesn't necessarily need to be in the center console, but it can be)... How about a 110/120V outlet? I realize that would be impractical for many reasons, but it occurred to me that it could come in handy in many admittedly unusual situations. But in reality, I know that will never happen, so I withdraw that request... but perhaps in a later model?

But I want to +1 for lots of cup holders. Also a sun glasses case please. Perhaps a little locked compartment to keep change for tolls.

The most important thing is that my beverage be easily accessible. The current cup holders are a joke - if you use the armrest, the cup would be behind your wrist. Try reaching for that 15 times an hour.

Another thought is to have a garbage bucket there. Everybody has trash in the car, where do you put it? If the opportunity console had a trash bucket, i would open it throw my McDonalds bag or empty bottle in there, and close it - no mess! When arrived home, I can empty the trash.

I've been thinking about this idea, and it is growing on me. A trash bin that takes small bags. Something that is easy empty and reload. I'm thinking something like a Diaper Dekor. It has an endless trash bag (you tie a knot on the bottom) and when you open the door to empty it, it has a cutter on the door. Really slick design. A little trash compartment with that design would be amazing in a car.

This video shows what I am talking about. Starts at 0:30
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svmm9lr14zo

This would leave a lot of room up front, because this bin should be towards the back of the opportunity console so that the kids in the back seat can reach.

Also, can someone comment on how ventilation gets to the back... because that should be built into the console if not provided for already by floor vents or something.