Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Connector Protector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Lloyd

Supporting Member
Jan 12, 2011
San Luis Obispo, CA
NEW ANTI-THEFT DEVICE STOPS ELECTRIC CAR CABLE THEIVES AND SECURES CHARGE CORDS FROM UNPLUGGING. THE SLEEK DESIGN IS COMPATIBLE WITH ALL ELECTRIC CAR CHARGING CABLES

SAN LUIS OBISPO, CA. (6/25/2012) –You may have heard recently about EV owners being ticketed for being unplugged while their vehicle was unattended at a charging location. Someone else unplugged their EV and left them vulnerable to ticketing. AB 475 is an example. If you own an electric vehicle or plug in hybrid, you know the cable you use to plug into a charging unit can be a bit pricey - $1,500 or more in some cases, making them an attractive target for cable thieves. The connector protector provides additional security to your cable while you are away.

Now there is a simple and easy solution that uses the weight of your electric vehicle to secure your valuable electrical connection without damage to the cable – Connector Protector. Upon first glance Connector Protector may look like a standard wheel chock, that is until you notice the multiple slots for securing virtually any size charging cable up to 35 mm in diameter. Once you actually pick up the unit you can feel just how the high-grade thermoplastic construction is strong enough to resist cutting,warping and the weight of any vehicle. The simple design makes Connector Protector easy to use, works with virtually all electric vehicles on the market today and at just $40.00 it is affordable protection.

Connector Protector was founded in San Luis Obispo to provide electric car owners with peace of mind while recharging their vehicles. Connector Protector is available exclusively at Connector Protector | Protect Your EV Charging Cord and retails for $40.00.

If you'd like more information about Connector Protector please visit Connector Protector | Protect Your EV Charging Cord or email us at [email protected].

photo 2.jpg
connector-protector3.jpg

Last edited:
I love the idea and promote people inventing but it seems like a multistep thing for that that you have to 1st:
1) Get out and get your charger Cable ready
2) Get the wheel chalk / lock out
3) Put the cable under the chalk and ensure the reach is correct for the cable
4) Get in the car, back it up to the chalk and now you're cable is locked.

Where I've seen that a simple cable lock around the wheel and a padlock locking down the charge cable to the locked cable around the wheel is simpler and can be done in 1 step.

Also a Lock and cable should run $20.

So that's an option if your strapped for cash and time.

You can pick up a motorcycle lock that has a motion alarm on it, its very high pitched. So if someone moves it / grabs the cable the alarm sounds peoples attention and deters thiefs.

Last edited:
I agree that use every time would be tedious, but don't you see the benefit when you park for extended periods such as airport parking?

The lock and cable does not work as well as it allows the cable to slide through. The connector protector puts enough pressure to keep the cord at your vehicle only. The moulded plastic only weighs 12ounces and can be stored easily in the frunk cubby!

Example: Tesla Santana Row complained that The EVSE'S in the parking structure behind the store were being used to charge the demo Roadsters. The employees plug the demo cars in when they leave for the night. During the night the cars were being unplugged I assume to charge other Teslas. In the morning the employees were upset because the demo cars were uncharged and not ready for customers.

Last edited:
Was told at the event today that the S doesn't allow removal of the connector without the key nearby. I guess it just locks like the doors do.

I've no idea how that would actually work. Also it seems like that would be a problem for the UMC where it has a part connected to the car that can't be removed but also a part adapting the J1772 or whatever connector. Dunno how the lock and cable would solve that either (maybe in addition to?).

Was told at the event today that the S doesn't allow removal of the connector without the key nearby. I guess it just locks like the doors do.

I've no idea how that would actually work. Also it seems like that would be a problem for the UMC where it has a part connected to the car that can't be removed but also a part adapting the J1772 or whatever connector. Dunno how the lock and cable would solve that either (maybe in addition to?).

I was told that any tesla key will unlock the charge cable. I will try and verify that during my drive tomorrow

Yes, I can see how the pressure of the wheel could keep the cable from being pulled. Good point and an advantage of the design. I recall seeing a forum member posting a pic of the cable/lock idea and it appeared that the log compressed down onto the cable which also prevented the slip, not the same forces of pressure of course but it looked like it kept the cable from creeping through. It would take some trial and error to find the right lock. Appreciate the link and the reply!

Yes, I can see how the pressure of the wheel could keep the cable from being pulled. Good point and an advantage of the design. I recall seeing a forum member posting a pic of the cable/lock idea and it appeared that the log compressed down onto the cable which also prevented the slip, not the same forces of pressure of course but it looked like it kept the cable from creeping through. It would take some trial and error to find the right lock. Appreciate the link and the reply!

The public cable if not your own will have varying diameters depending on the manufacturer and the power being delivered.

Maybe this was answered earlier, (quickly scanned though above posts but maybe missed it), how is this useful for a Model S? The UMC connector is locked into the car. You can't steal it unless someone cuts the cable at which point this device doesn't solve anything... However for other EVs that don't use locking devices I agree it could be used as a deterrent.

Maybe this was answered earlier, (quickly scanned though above posts but maybe missed it), how is this useful for a Model S? The UMC connector is locked into the car. You can't steal it unless someone cuts the cable at which point this device doesn't solve anything... However for other EVs that don't use locking devices I agree it could be used as a deterrent.

If you're charging at a public charger using a J1772 adapter, nothing prevents somebody from unplugging the J1772 cable from the adapter (the adapter will lock to the S but nothing locks the cable to the adapter).

If you're charging at a public charger using a J1772 adapter, nothing prevents somebody from unplugging the J1772 cable from the adapter (the adapter will lock to the S but nothing locks the cable to the adapter).

Confused. This protection thing doesn't lock the cable to your adapter; and the other end of that is attached to the public charging station, so how does it solve anything at all?

Confused. This protection thing doesn't lock the cable to your adapter; and the other end of that is attached to the public charging station, so how does it solve anything at all?

It doesn't lock the cable to the adapter but if the length of cord that goes from the protector up to the charging port is short enough, even if somebody unplugs the charge cable from the J1772 adapter, it won't be long enough to reach another car to plug in.