Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone planning to Test Drive?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I might -- though the test drive dates for NYC are likely within 1-2 weeks of my delivery. My reason for going would be more about seeing other configurations and hanging out with Tesla staff :smile:

Considering it, but I'm up in Maine for the summer, more or less, and that's >6 hours to White Plains (where I'm assuming the test drives will be). Now that my wife is using constructs like, "When is the Tesla coming?" rather than "If you get the Tesla, ...", I think I'll just bother @cinergi for a spin in his.:tongue:

Considering it, but I'm up in Maine for the summer, more or less, and that's >6 hours to White Plains (where I'm assuming the test drives will be). Now that my wife is using constructs like, "When is the Tesla coming?" rather than "If you get the Tesla, ...", I think I'll just bother @cinergi for a spin in his.:tongue:

:biggrin: You and and lots of others around me, I'm sure! And I'm more than happy to oblige!

I put my deposit in today, so I can test drive the Model S in 3 weeks in NY. I was quoted an estimated delivery of "Spring 2013", which is fine since I recently bought a 2012 Plug in Prius. The 12-15 mile EV range is such a tease :), though i am getting excellent MPG. I passed on my Leaf order, need a "single car" solution, 73 mile ideal highway range didn't cut it, especially in New England (heater use, horrible traffic & weather)

Mitch

P.S. awaiting the email from Tesla hoping there are some test drive slots still open

Last edited:
We are test driving in Gaithersburg, MD next weekend. We had already planned a trip to see the O's play a couple of games and then the offer to test drive nearby came out yesterday. It will be great to drive the car before our supposed delivery in August!

We are test driving in Gaithersburg, MD next weekend. We had already planned a trip to see the O's play a couple of games and then the offer to test drive nearby came out yesterday. It will be great to drive the car before our supposed delivery in August!

I am looking forward to your impressions especially since you are a seasoned roadster owner. One would hope you would get your delivery in or before August if there is any chance Tesla is going to meet its 5000 car delivery goal for 2012.

I think August is realistic. They said they sent our order to the factor a week or 2 ago (held up due to changes when some trim offerings were no longer available). I will let you know. We are SS#64, so you'd think it would be August or September at the latest.

I think we will get in... Rumor is they will have 10 Model S at the event, each test drive is only 8 minutes, figure they can get 6 test drives/hour per car in, if they go for 7 hours of test drives each day (an hour for lunch, and to recharge the cars, plus they will recharge at the end of the day as well), that's 42 per car per day * 3 days, so 126 test drives per car, if they have 10 cars, and none of them break or have issues, that would add up to 1260 test drives for the event, that sounds like plenty to go around.

I had a terrific test drive yesterday at the Roosevelt Field Mall store in Garden City, NY. I flew into JFK and took a 30 minute cab ride to the mall. It was on a Sunday, which I recommend, so the traffic was minimal. One of the ironies of this test drive was passing long lines of cars waiting to buy gas. Eventually, we came to State Police road block, due to flooding along the coast. The troopers were fascinated by the Model S, and the Tesla store manager who was with me invited them to visit the mall for a ride.

I'd already seen a Model S up close, but this was my first chance to drive one. It was a black/black Performance model. The car's feel on the road reminded me of a Ferrari 456GT I owned for seven years, except that the Model S was quieter, smoother and much faster! The store also had a pearl Model S on the floor, which convinced me that pearl is the color I want. Beautiful metallic glow!

Last edited: