Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Exterior - Paint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was reading the various reviews and saw this photo on Wired.com's review. Is it dolphin grey? Looks to be a great colour. Really classy, makes me think aston martin. Looks especially great with the perf wheels. :)

062212-tesla-testdrive-329edit.jpg

Was reading the various reviews and saw this photo on Wired.com's review. Is it dolphin grey? Looks to be a great colour. Really classy, makes me think aston martin. Looks especially great with the perf wheels. :)
I agree. It really does look great. However, I think it would look better if they used the smokey door chrome with the performance, rather than the shiny.

The front license plate thread shows a Sig Red with smokey door chrome. Either that or the lighting. The mirror chrome was still shiny however, so I think the picture quality was fine.

Looking forward to seeing in person.

I agree. It really does look great. However, I think it would look better if they used the smokey door chrome with the performance, rather than the shiny.

+1 The shiny chrome looks really cheap on a dark coloured car. I'd really prefer either no chrome (best) or a more colour matched chrome so it didn't stand out so much. One you get sensitized to the chrome, that's all you can see.

The window tint might be a good option as long as I don't have to cut it. Seeing me with a paintbrush or a knife is pretty scary. Never give a screwdriver to a software person.

Sad to say, but my Model S has taken a slight hit near the rear wheel well, leaving mostly a nice size scratch. I brought it to an auto body place I know. They do a nice job and have a good rep. My question though is the paint. Is there a special blend used on the Model S, or would you just let the auto body shop match it. He said to do it right, although it's only scratched near the wheel well, is to paint all the way around the lower rear bumper, to blend it in. Any insights?

Sad to say, but my Model S has taken a slight hit near the rear wheel well, leaving mostly a nice size scratch. I brought it to an auto body place I know. They do a nice job and have a good rep. My question though is the paint. Is there a special blend used on the Model S, or would you just let the auto body shop match it. He said to do it right, although it's only scratched near the wheel well, is to paint all the way around the lower rear bumper, to blend it in. Any insights?

I allowed a local paint company to do a repair on hood damage done by a local tinting company. They did a good job and I am really picky. The color matched perfectly, but the clear has a bit of a haze that I have not been able to remove. They have "tesla approved repair centers", but they were quite pricey! When I questioned them on the difference in price, I was told " Well you are driving a Tesla" On that comment alone, I opted for the local company.