Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is anyone else having trouble deciding between 40kWh and 60kWh?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The title says it all. I am going to reserve in November, so I won't get the car until this time next year at best. I am okay with that.

What plagues me is what range I will get. I am wondering if anyone else is trying to decide or if there are people who have decided between these two options. I would like to know what your pros and cons list were and what lead to your decision.

Mainly I am having a hard time reconciling 160 miles, which I am feeling like after degradation trough the years and minus the marketing it will end up being 130 miles. I don't drive more then 20 miles round trip to work and back. I don't think I will ever use over 160 miles in one sitting.....

....but, its very appealing to have a car that goes a bit faster and one I can drive to Austin and back without a worry. The extended warranty is appealing. The supercharger is appealing, though I don't think I will utilize it as I don't drive more then 60 miles one way. I heard the argument that I should get the 230 and supercharger to make my car "future proof", but I feel like I won't need it in the future. Also, I would like to tell people my car gets 230 and not 160 strictly for the wow factor, I think a lot of people around me have the stigma towards EV's that they don't do beyond 100 miles... maybe this one is just me.

Anyone else having these issues?

P.S. The main reason this is an issue for me, is that not that I can't afford to get the 300 or 230, its more of me not wanting to wait to save up. :) I guess I will just have to put on my big boy pants and wait if I REALLY want the 60kWh, but I do want to hear other peoples rational as I can't talk to anyone else about this who understand. lol

You're in Texas, I assume. If so, it does get hot there. Factor in the lower range due to needing to run the A/C and the extra energy used for temperature management to keep the battery from degrading due to extreme temps. In the summer, you should expect to have about 15-20% less range, if you like to keep your car cool. I'm experiencing about 25% less range in the PHX heat. The roadster owner here at work says he's seeing about the same. So, factor that into your range estimates. Even with the 40 kwh battery, you shouldalways get more than 100 mi, but it may not be much more than that in the hottest days of your summer.

Yes, same thing here. Truthfully I probably can't really afford any Model S, so on that basis, what's another $10k :) I'm working on the principle of no regrets, and if I compromise my choices to fit a specific budget (I won't be taking delivery until May next year, I would guess), then I'll live to regret it.

My main reasons for 'assuming' I'll go for the 60kWh, and not all of these are rational, are:

- Can't buy the base model. Just can't.
- The option to supercharge
- The improved warranty
- resale value

Like you, my daily drive is currently short, around 13miles each way, and maybe a few times a year we'll take a road-trip either north to Nebraska, or south to Austin. The former will almost certainly just mean renting a car, since it's a long-ass drive through the wilderness, so an unlikely location for chargers, super or not. The latter (Dallas-Austin) would be easily done with a 60kWh battery and a stop half way at Waco for some sort of charge.

Yes, same thing here. Truthfully I probably can't really afford any Model S, so on that basis, what's another $10k :)

This line resonated with me. I am over the fact that this isn't a "smart" purchase, besides my mustang (which I am paying off in two months) and my house I have no debt. The smart thing to do would be to become debt free, which was my original goal prior to seeing Tesla and then the Model S. "Affordability" for me would mean a 700 dollar car payment. I could "Afford" a 1k+ payment, but I just can't reconcile that. I will have to save up 40k after doing the 60kWh and all the things I want just so it will hit that 700 dollar number I am comfortable with.

This isn't an apples to apples comparison, but I bought my mustang as a V6. People ask me all the time if I regret not getting a V8, and I honestly don't. I bought it for the "wow" factor at the time and the sporty feel. I suppose its a bad comparison as mileage isn't important here.

The main reasons I am assuming I will suck it up and wait the extra 6 months of saving are:

- I like the extra mileage, I just like the capability.
- It's a bit faster and that's appealing
- I won't have to worry about my battery going below two hundred miles let alone 100
- The warranty is pretty big for me. Though I won't drive over 125k miles in 8 years.

EDIT: The caveat is that the car is technically cheaper the longer you own it. Not having 3k worth of gas a year is pretty powerful after 10 years. I plan for this to be my last car for the next 5-10 years so....

Like you, my daily drive is currently short, around 13miles each way, and maybe a few times a year we'll take a road-trip either north to Nebraska.

Just make sure your Tesla advisor knows that you drive to Nebraska. I drive there all the time too, and it's my intention to drive the Tesla there. No way am I renting a car.

The main reasons I am assuming I will suck it up and wait the extra 6 months of saving are:

- I like the extra mileage, I just like the capability.
- It's a bit faster and that's appealing
- I won't have to worry about my battery going below two hundred miles let alone 100
- The warranty is pretty big for me. Though I won't drive over 125k miles in 8 years.

EDIT: The caveat is that the car is technically cheaper the longer you own it. Not having 3k worth of gas a year is pretty powerful after 10 years. I plan for this to be my last car for the next 5-10 years so....

I'd get the 60 kWh pack if you can +/- supercharging. If you drive to Austin once or twice a month, you couldn't make it there and back on the 40 kWh pack but you could with the 60 kWh pack (in range mode). If you're never planning on taking it much outside the city you live in, the 40 kWh pack is more than enough. It could even make it to Austin but you'd have to recharge before you come back which shouldn't be too hard. You'd only need the 60 kWh pack for the Austin trip if you didn't want to charge while you were there before coming back.

"Debt free" is a great psychological goal, but from the perspective of this economist, it's not particularly rational. You should not be concerned about carrying a level of debt that is within your budget, recognizing that nearly all cars are consumption items, not investments.

"Debt free" is a great psychological goal, but from the perspective of this economist, it's not particularly rational. You should not be concerned about carrying a level of debt that is within your budget, recognizing that nearly all cars are consumption items, not investments.

Translated: "Get the performance version" Did I get that right?:smile:

I agree. If the 60 kWh car is within your budget, it is a more functional in that it allows you to travel outside the city a little more so might be worth getting.

Bardlebee, I can identify with you although I've been yo-yo-ing between 60 and 85 instead. For all the reasons that you mentioned, I'd urge you to spring for the 60; fewer regrets in the long run. In a lot of ways, the choice between 40 and 60 is starker than that between 60 and 85 - as someone put it, 40's severely handicapped on many fronts straight out the door.

I am going to reserve in November, so I won't get the car until this time next year at best.

Why wait to reserve?! Why not put the deposit down now if you can and get in line a little earlier before a glut of reservations come in (once production is in full swing and people see these cars on the road)? You can always choose to defer (once) if you are not ready when your turn comes up...

I agree with Robert and gg. Don't skimp on the battery unless you're perfectly comfortable with the Model S being a commuter car since the charging network isn't built out enough yet for trips. I'd plan on the pack that covers all your daily driving and your most reasonable longer day trips (there and back) without having to recharge.

gg you have a good point. I had it set in my head that I would pay off my mustang first, but I have been thinking about just reserving then paying off my mustang. In the long run it won't matter.

November may be too late if this ramps up quickly, your right and I have thought about that. I will have to watch the number of reservations closely. I guess the idea holds true about any car purchase. You should get what you want because you will be stuck with it for years, at least 5-10 anyway. The NEXT car I get I hope to be another Tesla, but hopefully by then they will be a house hold name.

Based on the info you provided, I would go with the 60kWh. That model seems to have a few more perks aside from the extra range, and as you say, you'd like one that will take you to Austin and back without worry. For me at least, I'd hate to feel limited with my vehicle, even if it were in the case of something as simple as one trip per year to Austin. Buy the model that gives you everything you want, plus any future contingencies. Even if that's the 85kWh.

Just consider that you're waiting no matter what. ;)

I would definitely get the 60 over the 40, because that has very similar range to the Roadster - and I find the Roadster's range to be perfect for 99% of my driving. For my daily commute there's gobs of excess capacity, so I have no hesitation to go on all kinds of side-trips, errands, etc. I don't have to plan my life around the car - every single day it has enough capacity for any/all driving I do around town (and even a significant distance outside town).

For road trips I currently have to do a bit more planning, but only because of the relatively weak charging infrastructure - but that is changing quickly.

Caveat: I'm getting the 85 so my opinion may not count(?).