Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

XM Satellite Radio--3 Mo free trial included?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

efusco

Moderator - Model S & X forums
Anyone heard if there will be a free trial included with the Sat radio if you get the upgraded audio system?
There typically is, but there's no mention on the Design Studio thing which usually one would expect to see.
Doesn't matter a tremendous amount, I'll probably just switch my account over anyway, but wouldn't mind 3 months free.

This is the only thing I am really not happy about. There's other threads that detail the reception issues in certain areas (ours included) but this is also SiriusXM's current policy:

You can combine accounts as long as your radios are all on the same platform. For example, if you have two Sirius radios, you can put them on the same account and get one single bill (you may even be eligible for a multi-subscription discount). Unfortunately, at this time, if you've got a Sirius radio and an XM radio, those accounts cannot be combined.

Roadster is Sirius and Model S will be XM.....:mad:

P.S. OT, but why do they call it "SiriusXM" if you can't have one multi-subscription account for both systems?!?

I did not get a 3 month trial with my recent Model S delivery, were we suppose to? Every car i have purchased with XM equipped has come with a trial. No biggie, but wanted to see if i was missing something.

You're better off without. The last time I got a car with a free trial, it took two years to get rid of the annoying solicitations to "renew" my subscription.
I never got anything like that after the 6 month free trial of Sirius on my last car. Sirius didn't know anything about me. It was activated when I picked it up, and stopped working a year later (yes, someone screwed up). Once they know who you are, though, I agree... the mail and calls are relentless.

Hmm...I'm sure people were getting trials before. I'm going to have to look into this. :frown:
I don't think anyone has gotten a free trial of XM with their Model S. There have been occasions when XM allows anyone to access the XM network for free for a week. If a Model S owner happens to try out XM during this time, it may appear as if they have a free trial. My brother works at a car dealership and in many cases they can reenable the free trial by calling a special number or going to a web address. We tried it for a loaner Model S that had XM but was not enabled to see what would happen, and it said that the radio was not registered. It looks like that your radio has to be registered with XM to get a manufacturer's free trail. I don't know who pays for that, but if it were free, I would imagine Tesla would have enabled it. You can get a regular free 30 day trail by going to Try SiriusXM Internet Radio for Free - SiriusXM Radio, but many people have complained that it's hard to cancel the service after 30 days.

I don't think anyone has gotten a free trial of XM with their Model S. There have been occasions when XM allows anyone to access the XM network for free for a week. If a Model S owner happens to try out XM during this time, it may appear as if they have a free trial.
I was told specifically when I took delivery (November 2012) that the car came with an XM trial of a week or two (I forget which).

I never got anything like that after the 6 month free trial of Sirius on my last car. Sirius didn't know anything about me. It was activated when I picked it up, and stopped working a year later (yes, someone screwed up). Once they know who you are, though, I agree... the mail and calls are relentless.

Unfortunately I suspect my dealer supplied Sirius XM with my details when they signed me up.

+1000

Still to date getting various solicitations and fake bills with auto renewal from them.

Right, they were always mailing me stuff and constantly calling. Our "do not call" legislation doesn't apply to companies that you've "done business with in the last year." I guess being signed up for a trial by someone else counts. Here's how I got it to stop:

One day they called again when I wasn't doing anything, and so I decided to mess with them. They tried every sales tactic in the book and I kept giving them noncommittal answers. They would ask me things like, "What kind of music do you listen to?" "Pretty much anything." "Do you like country?" "Nope" "How about rock?" "Nope" "Classical?" "Nope". "You must listen to sports, right?" "No, not really" "I'm sure you're a big hockey fan." "Not so much."

I kept up that charade for 15 highly amusing minutes (revenge for their 15 previous sales calls) at which point the guy finally figured out that I was messing with him. Apparently wasting 15 minutes of their time is sufficient grounds for them to drop you! I never received another mailing, and they never called again.

XM-Lifetime

Unfortunately I suspect my dealer supplied Sirius XM with my details when they signed me up.

Right, they were always mailing me stuff and constantly calling. Our "do not call" legislation doesn't apply to companies that you've "done business with in the last year." I guess being signed up for a trial by someone else counts. Here's how I got it to stop:

One day they called again when I wasn't doing anything, and so I decided to mess with them. They tried every sales tactic in the book and I kept giving them noncommittal answers. They would ask me things like, "What kind of music do you listen to?" "Pretty much anything." "Do you like country?" "Nope" "How about rock?" "Nope" "Classical?" "Nope". "You must listen to sports, right?" "No, not really" "I'm sure you're a big hockey fan." "Not so much."

I kept up that charade for 15 highly amusing minutes (revenge for their 15 previous sales calls) at which point the guy finally figured out that I was messing with him. Apparently wasting 15 minutes of their time is sufficient grounds for them to drop you! I never received another mailing, and they never called again.

I always get the "lifetime" service with XM/Sirius. They will not offer it, you have to ask for a supervisor, then they will sell it to you. $800. One time.

I always get the "lifetime" service with XM/Sirius. They will not offer it, you have to ask for a supervisor, then they will sell it to you. $800. One time.

If I were interested in the service, then that would certainly be the way to go. Good tip.

As it stands I am quite happy with the currently available Slacker/Tune In/AM/FM/iPhone/Memory Stick selections.

XM/Sirius is so horribly compressed it sounds worse than most FM stations. With Slacker and Tune In built in there is no reason to pay XM/Sirius for music that sounds horrible and it NOT commercial free. Maybe someday their satellites will come crashing back to earth and we won't even have their horrible service as an option.

One day they called again when I wasn't doing anything, and so I decided to mess with them.
The best response I've heard so far was to pretend that you had called them (rather than the reverse) and act like you were calling the suicide hotline. First beg them not to hang up, and then make them regret having tortured you with their incessant calls.

- - - Updated - - -

Honestly, even if this was the best service ever I don't (intentionally) give money to people that torture their would be customers to the point where they are considering legal counsel for harrassment.

Hmm...I'm sure people were getting trials before. I'm going to have to look into this. :frown:

The Signature owners got a free trial of Slacker for a year, but not XM. I did have XM for about 3 weeks, then it defaulted back. I don't think we are supposed to be getting a free trial of XM, and now I'm addicted to Slacker so it doesn't matter.

- - - Updated - - -

The other question is when will the Model S support all the Slacker radio functions? Right now, it doesn't make sense to upgrade to the full account because the Model S can't handle all the features.

I called XM expecting a free trial, and they told me that Teslas did not get free trial subscriptions.

This is the first car that I ever purchased with XM that did not include a free trial.

My previous car had XM, so I merely rolled over the subscription to the MS. I have some dead zones with 3G around here, so XM actually has better coverage.