Page 1 of 108 123451151101 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 1072

Thread: Model S First Drive Reviews

  1. #1
    Member SoCalGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    LA/NYC
    Posts
    237

    Model S First Drive Reviews

    Anyone have an idea when the media folks will get to drive the cars? I remember with the Karma, the media got test drives well before the customers (and months before the first deliveries!).
    Last edited by doug; 2012-08-14 at 04:13 AM. Reason: removed compiled list because of wiki below

  2. #2
    Member Generated Post Wiki
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    17
      Wiki-Post This is a Wiki Post.
    Latest compiled list.


    [List of reviews/impressions from Model S Owners after delivery:]

    Jason Calacanis | dadaleus | Cottonwood | NEWDL | Jesse and Steve | ggr | dmetcalf


    [List of first drive reviews/impressions from news outlets:]





    [List of detailed first drive reviews/impressions from TMC users:]

    Todd Burch | gg_wants_a_tesla | Zextraterrestrial | Derek M | Trnsl8r | spatterso911 1 | spatterso911 2 | spatterso911 3 | capt601 | DrComputer | gjamrok | Silenus136 | AnOutsider | jbherman | westcoast | SoCalGuy | Francis Lau 1 | Francis Lau 2 | FlasherZ | Odenator | Discoducky | ian201 | jasonhi | EarlyAdopter | Vegi | 100thMonkey | olanmills Mycroft | BriansTesla | sandwood | teslasguy | kendallpb | dflye | Andrew Wolfe | BS Mann | johndoe74 | gjunky | kishdude | ADN_ModelS | AndyM | MikeK | wycolo | vfx | J in MN | Mkent | ohaq | Longhorn92 | aviators99 | steve841 | DavidM | Arnold Panz | mnx | stephenpace


    - originally compiled by loganss
    Last edited by PV4EV; 2012-11-05 at 08:02 AM.
    The above was post may have been edited by multiple members. The last person to save an edit is displayed.

  3. #3
    Senior Member W.Petefish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    North Texas (DFW)
    Posts
    1,039
    To do a proper review it'll take a month or two. But I suspect that we'll see reviews fairly soon after the 6/23,24 event.
    If it is worth doing, it is worth OVER doing. - Mythbusters

    Debunking Pseudoscience is fun!

    Arctic White Roadster 2.5 #1200, S Sig Performance Vin# 227, HAM: KF5WDB

  4. #4
    Senior Member strider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    2,470
    I thought there was speculation that TM was going to do a press event along with the Founders deliveries on Friday. Not an extended test but may let the journalists take it on the test drive run or perhaps even the test track.
    Twilight Blue Roadster 2.5 - #1098 / Grey Model S Performance - #1459

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    2,190
    Quote Originally Posted by strider View Post
    I thought there was speculation that TM was going to do a press event along with the Founders deliveries on Friday. Not an extended test but may let the journalists take it on the test drive run or perhaps even the test track.
    Yes. Sounded like the press is getting 10 min test drives. Much like the test rides they got before the Oct 2 Beta event last year.

  6. #6
    R1211 & S282 NigelM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Posts
    10,410
    Blog Entries
    2
    Jalopnik was particularly ticked off - I gather they weren't invited - and very scathing about other reviewers accepting 10 minute rides.

  7. #7
    Model S5,651, Model X109
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,027
    Quote Originally Posted by NigelM View Post
    Jalopnik was particularly ticked off - I gather they weren't invited - and very scathing about other reviewers accepting 10 minute rides.
    I thought that Model S was vaporware? Why would Jalopnik even want to waste their time reviewing something they've already passed judgement on? Moreover, why would Tesla want to give them the opportunity to bash the car more. Jalopnik claims to be highly objective but this anti-Tesla vendetta makes that kind of hard to believe.

  8. #8
    Model S: VIN P 3552 gg_got_a_tesla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Redwood Shores, CA
    Posts
    5,013
    Quote Originally Posted by NigelM View Post
    Jalopnik was particularly ticked off - I gather they weren't invited - and very scathing about other reviewers accepting 10 minute rides.
    Name a "flimsy milksop who passes himself off as a reporter". Who is "Matt Hardigree"?!
    VIN P 3552 - 60 kWh with Supercharging, Green, Black Roof, Black Leather, Piano Black trim, Tech Package, Active Air Suspension, 19" Wheels, Firmware v5.11, 28,000+ blissful miles since January 2013!

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    13

    Tesla says reviewers will have more than 10 minutes starting Friday, so says Slate

    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalGuy View Post
    Anyone have an idea when the media folks will get to drive the cars? I remember with the Karma, the media got test drives well before the customers (and months before the first deliveries!).


    The Slate article states this Friday reviewers will be able to drive the car for more than 10 minutes.

    Here's the relevant claim by Will Oremus of Slate:
    "The lowest-priced version will have a 40 KwH battery, with an advertised range of 160 miles if you keep the speedometer pegged to 55. Speed up or slow down, as drivers are wont to do, and the range will likely fall significantly. Just how significantly, we don’t know: Tesla hasn’t let any reviewers drive the car for more than 10 minutes. (A company rep tells me that will change Friday.)"

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by strangethingintheland View Post
    The Slate article states this Friday reviewers will be able to drive the car for more than 10 minutes.

    Here's the relevant claim by Will Oremus of Slate:
    "The lowest-priced version will have a 40 KwH battery, with an advertised range of 160 miles if you keep the speedometer pegged to 55. Speed up or slow down, as drivers are wont to do, and the range will likely fall significantly. Just how significantly, we don’t know: Tesla hasn’t let any reviewers drive the car for more than 10 minutes. (A company rep tells me that will change Friday.)"
    Hmm, article reads like it doesn't have all its facts right, so it might not be 100% accurate.

    Re: the karma test drives, as you said, the press got them long before customers (and even longer before first deliveries ACTUALLY happened). At the time, and in hindsight, it looks more like Fisker was trying to save face on their delays by throwing the press a bone. The cars had many issues during those drives and it was around the time the first deliveries were supposed to be happening. I'd hope that by the time the press get lengthy drives in the S, it will be solid.

    As for "when", the embargo lifts on Friday. I'm thinking that some journalist will get their hands on one of the early cars delivered Friday and do at least a partial review from there.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Your first gratuitous Model S Drive...
    By Lyon in forum Model S
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 2012-08-29, 06:32 AM
  2. New Infomation from First Drive Reviews
    By epley in forum Model S
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 2012-06-28, 07:16 PM
  3. Model S Reviews ..
    By PV4EV in forum Model S
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 2012-06-23, 01:32 PM
  4. Model S reviews
    By vfx in forum Model S
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 2012-06-13, 05:22 PM
  5. Magazine reviews!
    By TEG in forum Roadster
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 2010-10-13, 05:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •