Page 1 of 108 123451151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Model S First Drive Reviews

Model S First Drive Reviews

Anyone have an idea when the media folks will get to drive the cars? I remember with the Karma, the media got test drives well before the customers (and months before the first deliveries!).
    Last edited by doug; 2012-08-14 at 04:13 AM. Reason: removed compiled list because of wiki below

Member Generated Post Wiki
      Wiki-Post This is a Wiki Post.
    Latest compiled list.

[List of reviews/impressions from Model S Owners after delivery:]

Jason Calacanis | dadaleus | Cottonwood | NEWDL | Jesse and Steve | ggr | dmetcalf

[List of first drive reviews/impressions from news outlets:]

[List of detailed first drive reviews/impressions from TMC users:]

Todd Burch | gg_wants_a_tesla | Zextraterrestrial | Derek M | Trnsl8r | spatterso911 1 | spatterso911 2 | spatterso911 3 | capt601 | DrComputer | gjamrok | Silenus136 | AnOutsider | jbherman | westcoast | SoCalGuy | Francis Lau 1 | Francis Lau 2 | FlasherZ | Odenator | Discoducky | ian201 | jasonhi | EarlyAdopter | Vegi | 100thMonkey | olanmills Mycroft | BriansTesla | sandwood | teslasguy | kendallpb | dflye | Andrew Wolfe | BS Mann | johndoe74 | gjunky | kishdude | ADN_ModelS | AndyM | MikeK | wycolo | vfx | J in MN | Mkent | ohaq | Longhorn92 | aviators99 | steve841 | DavidM | Arnold Panz | mnx | stephenpace

- originally compiled by loganss
    Last edited by PV4EV; 2012-11-05 at 08:02 AM.
    The above was post may have been edited by multiple members. The last person to save an edit is displayed.

To do a proper review it'll take a month or two. But I suspect that we'll see reviews fairly soon after the 6/23,24 event.
    If it is worth doing, it is worth OVER doing. - Mythbusters

Debunking Pseudoscience is fun!

Arctic White Roadster 2.5 #1200, S Sig Performance Vin# 227, HAM: KF5WDB

I thought there was speculation that TM was going to do a press event along with the Founders deliveries on Friday. Not an extended test but may let the journalists take it on the test drive run or perhaps even the test track.
    Twilight Blue Roadster 2.5 - #1098 / Grey Model S Performance - #1459

Quote Originally Posted by strider View Post
    I thought there was speculation that TM was going to do a press event along with the Founders deliveries on Friday. Not an extended test but may let the journalists take it on the test drive run or perhaps even the test track.
    Yes. Sounded like the press is getting 10 min test drives. Much like the test rides they got before the Oct 2 Beta event last year.

Blog Entries
    Jalopnik was particularly ticked off - I gather they weren't invited - and very scathing about other reviewers accepting 10 minute rides.

Model S5,651, Model X109
    Quote Originally Posted by NigelM View Post
    Jalopnik was particularly ticked off - I gather they weren't invited - and very scathing about other reviewers accepting 10 minute rides.
    I thought that Model S was vaporware? Why would Jalopnik even want to waste their time reviewing something they've already passed judgement on? Moreover, why would Tesla want to give them the opportunity to bash the car more. Jalopnik claims to be highly objective but this anti-Tesla vendetta makes that kind of hard to believe.

Model S: VIN P 3552 gg_got_a_tesla's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NigelM View Post
    Name a "flimsy milksop who passes himself off as a reporter". Who is "Matt Hardigree"?!
    VIN P 3552 - 60 kWh with Supercharging, Green, Black Roof, Black Leather, Piano Black trim, Tech Package, Active Air Suspension, 19" Wheels, Firmware v5.11, 28,000+ blissful miles since January 2013!

Tesla says reviewers will have more than 10 minutes starting Friday, so says Slate

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalGuy View Post
    Anyone have an idea when the media folks will get to drive the cars? I remember with the Karma, the media got test drives well before the customers (and months before the first deliveries!).

The Slate article states this Friday reviewers will be able to drive the car for more than 10 minutes.

Here's the relevant claim by Will Oremus of Slate:
    "The lowest-priced version will have a 40 KwH battery, with an advertised range of 160 miles if you keep the speedometer pegged to 55. Speed up or slow down, as drivers are wont to do, and the range will likely fall significantly. Just how significantly, we don’t know: Tesla hasn’t let any reviewers drive the car for more than 10 minutes. (A company rep tells me that will change Friday.)"

Quote Originally Posted by strangethingintheland View Post
    The Slate article states this Friday reviewers will be able to drive the car for more than 10 minutes.

Here's the relevant claim by Will Oremus of Slate:
    "The lowest-priced version will have a 40 KwH battery, with an advertised range of 160 miles if you keep the speedometer pegged to 55. Speed up or slow down, as drivers are wont to do, and the range will likely fall significantly. Just how significantly, we don’t know: Tesla hasn’t let any reviewers drive the car for more than 10 minutes. (A company rep tells me that will change Friday.)"
    Hmm, article reads like it doesn't have all its facts right, so it might not be 100% accurate.

Re: the karma test drives, as you said, the press got them long before customers (and even longer before first deliveries ACTUALLY happened). At the time, and in hindsight, it looks more like Fisker was trying to save face on their delays by throwing the press a bone. The cars had many issues during those drives and it was around the time the first deliveries were supposed to be happening. I'd hope that by the time the press get lengthy drives in the S, it will be solid.

As for "when", the embargo lifts on Friday. I'm thinking that some journalist will get their hands on one of the early cars delivered Friday and do at least a partial review from there.

Thread Information