Page 14 of 46 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 451

Thread: Model S Insurance

  1. #131
    Huntjo, I hope you are not just getting comp coverage, and not also collision. No matter how good a driver you are, there are too many crazies on the road (at least here in the DC area). So, if you have comp and collision, what is the total cost for 1 year coverage? Collison on the model S can cost more than comp.

  2. #132
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    13
    I saved $1000and don't even have my Tesla yet.......

    A few weeks ago I called my current Insurance company (Peerless) and asked them what my insurance payment will be when I switch from my Prius to the Model S. After several minutes, the agent on the phone said she didn't have any info in their system and wasn't sure if they could insure the car. She took my number and info and said she'd get back to me. 15 Minutes later she called back and said that at this time they were unable to insure the vehicle...She also said she went on Tesla's website and was very impressed. She was going to show this to her husband.

    Someone at the L.I. Tesla store recommended that I call State Farm. I did and they not only quoted me a policy that had me paying less for the Tesla than my 4 year old Prius but I then $1000 per year cheaper on my current policy for two cars.

    This just reminds me it pays to shop around!

  3. #133
    Sig Perf #236 VIN #484
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    243
    Quote Originally Posted by lightly View Post
    I saved $1000and don't even have my Tesla yet.......

    A few weeks ago I called my current Insurance company (Peerless) and asked them what my insurance payment will be when I switch from my Prius to the Model S. After several minutes, the agent on the phone said she didn't have any info in their system and wasn't sure if they could insure the car. She took my number and info and said she'd get back to me. 15 Minutes later she called back and said that at this time they were unable to insure the vehicle...She also said she went on Tesla's website and was very impressed. She was going to show this to her husband.

    Someone at the L.I. Tesla store recommended that I call State Farm. I did and they not only quoted me a policy that had me paying less for the Tesla than my 4 year old Prius but I then $1000 per year cheaper on my current policy for two cars.

    This just reminds me it pays to shop around!
    I had a similar experience in that I had Progressive before - I went with Allstate when the quote for the Model S was high. They not only gave me a good rate, they discounted my homeowners insurance (since I would now be a multi-policy customer) the net is that my insurance cost is ending up 950/year Model S - 450/year home owners discount.
    Last edited by DaveVa; 2012-11-18 at 08:07 AM.

  4. #134
    My agent at liberty mutual encourages me to shop my policy at least every 2 years. He d prefer I do it once per year, but knows I can't be bothered. So he rewrites my policy once per year and then if I find a better rate at the 2 year mark he gets "his people" to match it. Apparently even if you leave an insurer and come back, you could get discounts. Crazy.

  5. #135
    Member aaron.s's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    831
    Decided to log into my GEICO account and check to see if they finally have the Model S listed - and they do!

    $86 more for 6 month premium ($172/year) over my 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid! I live in Westchester, NY.

    Aaron
    Tesla Model S "Serenity" - P#9,094 - VIN #: 3449 (2013)
    85kWh | Blue Metalic Paint | Tech Package | Tan Leather | Obeche Matte | Panoramic Roof | 19" Wheels | Air Suspension

  6. #136
    Member huntjo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Fort Collins, Colorado
    Posts
    507
    Quote Originally Posted by swegman View Post
    Huntjo, I hope you are not just getting comp coverage, and not also collision. No matter how good a driver you are, there are too many crazies on the road (at least here in the DC area). So, if you have comp and collision, what is the total cost for 1 year coverage? Collison on the model S can cost more than comp.
    Nah it's comp and collision both. I think theres a multicar discount and also discount from having home owners insurance with them.

  7. #137
    Junior Member blaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Culver City, CA
    Posts
    50
    Items for Sale
    Since Aaron mentioned GEICO has the Model S listed now, I logged in to my account and it quoted me $125/mo for a Model S 85KWh (non-perf). That's $20/mo more than my current 2010 Audi A5 2.0T.

    This seems a bit high compared to other quotes here, so I'll be sure to shop around when the time comes.

  8. #138
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Metro Boston
    Posts
    167
    USAA still doesn't have it in their system. Here's the conversation:

    USAA: "Year, make, and model?"
    Me: "2013 Tesla Model S."
    USAA: Pause. . ."Who makes the Tesla?"
    Me: "Tesla!"

    They quoted it nonetheless, $1017/yr for a $75k sticker, $1114 for a $90k sticker with a $500 deductible, adding it to existing policy, etc. As has been pointed out, there's no differentiation between performance and non-performance at USAA, except on sticker price, which makes sense since it's not even in their system!

  9. #139
    Roadster #1144 + Sig 114 dsm363's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    13,524
    Quote Originally Posted by bosgig View Post
    USAA still doesn't have it in their system. Here's the conversation:

    USAA: "Year, make, and model?"
    Me: "2013 Tesla Model S."
    USAA: Pause. . ."Who makes the Tesla?"
    Me: "Tesla!"

    They quoted it nonetheless, $1017/yr for a $75k sticker, $1114 for a $90k sticker with a $500 deductible, adding it to existing policy, etc. As has been pointed out, there's no differentiation between performance and non-performance at USAA, except on sticker price, which makes sense since it's not even in their system!
    I have USAA as well and asked them to add it to their system but they still haven't done it obviously.
    Moderator - Model S, Mountain/Southwest, Texas, Northwest, Off Topic forums
    PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum. My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum, without my expressed consent.

  10. #140
    P# 8,878 Alexander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Valencia, CA
    Posts
    223
    Good lord! I just got off the phone with AAA and they quoted me $4,463 a year with a $1,000 deductable. That price was for 20,000 miles of driving each year and 25K/25K for comp & collision. I have no accidents, no tickets, and I've been with them for 6 years and have other policies with them! I think my only crime is that I’m in SoCal.

    Needless to say... im going to take my business else where.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Model S Insurance in Canada
    By mnx in forum Canada
    Replies: 180
    Last Post: 2014-04-09, 10:36 PM
  2. Replies: 43
    Last Post: 2013-12-30, 12:02 AM
  3. Insurance?
    By sjj in forum Roadster
    Replies: 111
    Last Post: 2013-02-05, 11:36 PM
  4. UK Roadster insurance
    By Alan in forum Roadster
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 2012-09-12, 02:22 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •