Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opportunity Console - New Photos, Poll

This is how I'd like my Model S configured

• No console, keep it open

Votes: 84 14.3%
  • Somewhere for bits and bobs

Votes: 343 58.2%
  • My phone needs a home

Votes: 303 51.4%
  • Give me somewhere for the 'big-gulp'

Votes: 158 26.8%
  • Forget seat 5, give me more in the back

Votes: 110 18.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mpt

Electrics are back
Supporting Member
This weekend Tesla will be displaying the first prototypes of the "Opportunity Console" elements for us to see. These are not yet finalized, so they're looking for our feedback and suggestions.

The prototypes we will be showing this weekend are not for sale, but we’re coming to you, our customer, to get your input so we can give you the functionality that is most important to you. After your test drive, let us know what you think, or feel free to leave a comment on the TMC forum.

Update: Here are the photos:

Console 1: Shelf
Console1_Shelf.jpg

Console1_Top-down.jpg

Console 2: Phone slot
Console2_Phone_Slot_Closed.jpg

Console2_Phone_Slot_Open.jpg

Console2_Shelf.jpg

Console 3: Cupholders
Console3_Top-down.jpg

Console3_Shelf-cupholders.jpg

Rear console:
Rear Seat Console.jpg

(Please accept our apologies if we remove one of your posts asking for the photos)

Last edited:
Inside Tesla - 06.19.12 | Blog | Tesla Motors
There have been a lot of suggestions about what could be done with the area between the two front seats. It was initially designed to be an open area for you to easily store everything from a backpack to a purse, and many people are looking forward to doing exactly that. However, we have received several requests to add compartments, shelves or phone holders to make this area more organized. This seemed like a great opportunity to make Model S customizable to be what YOU WANT it to be. So, we have officially dubbed this area the “Opportunity Console,” and set out to design exactly the type of functional enhancements you have requested.

This weekend, we will be displaying the first prototypes of our Opportunity Console elements for you to see. These are not yet finalized, so we look forward to hearing your feedback and suggestions. The prototypes we will be showing this weekend are not for sale, but are being shown to you, our customers, to get your input so we can focus our effort on functionality that is most important to you. After your test drive, let us know what you think, or feel free to leave a comment on the Tesla Motors Club forum. We’ve created a thread on the forum to gather your input.

As I said above, many people like the area between the front seats exactly the way it is, so we will continue to offer this area as originally planned. The additional Opportunity Console options are in response to customer requests, and will be made available as soon as we finalize designs based upon your input.

Anyone who goes this weekend, please add pictures!

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem is the space, not the lack of console...

I love the idea of this console. The empty space there has been the only thing that I really haven't been excited about.

I think one would have to think about what is useful in this area, what is practical for the automobile, and what doesn't detract from the overall style of the car.

In my opinion, I don't think this has to be much to really be useful.

I like the idea of at least one compartment for a variety of items: chargers, wallets, small purse, keys. Another compartment would be close to where the existing cigarette lighters and USB ports are for hiding said devices that are charging or "permanently" plugged in such as a USB stick for music or hard drive. I don't know how practical laptop charging would be, but perhaps it would be nice to have a port through which a charging wire would exit the compartment and could be plugged into a device outside the compartment.

I was thinking something like this (more elevated, less elevated...):

View attachment 6841

Hey I am impressed by the contour of your computer-graphed console in this thread. Good shape and profile. I have spent quite a bit of time in the Model S, behind the wheel and in the passenger seat - a few hours total. As much as I loved it at first, there is a weird awkwardness about the open space between the driver and passenger. Initially, I admired the space, immediately appreciating the electric drive train and battery placement changes that have followed the Roadster to make the a flat, uninterrupted chassis from dash to tail possible. But my admiration gave way to a feeling that I wanted that space filled, to form a traditional "cockpit". Yet I do not miss a console per say. I don't want all that crap shoved there as in my...Volvo! After some thought I'd propose: Build a low-profile console. Not too obstructive, not too high. Let the driver feel the space you have created - unique to the Model S. Leave a place to put: a cell phone with charger (horizontal opening angled toward the dash to allow the phone to "sit" well, loose change (must be a close-able container), a fitness club/parking garage card, retractable cup holders, chargers for the passenger's iPad/phone/laptop/Kindle (9V and USB). And one more small 5 by 5 inch compartment for...dunno (my son's CD Rom, my daughter's clay cup, my wife's whatever, my baseball hat... And that's it. Leave room for the purse/bag? Maybe have the console stop at the average seat edge as it leaves the dash (leaving room for a bag between the seats). In short, guide the space but do not fully fill it. Computer graphics members, please dig in...

Hmm, you could be right, but to me, it looked like a ridged rubber at first glance.

If you look at the high res pic it's clear they're using the same wood trim. It's certainly an improvement over carpet, but GG makes a good point that this could get scratch up pretty well.

And what's up with this thread? It's as if it got merged with some other discussion completely off topic, and no one has commented on the newer, refined center console and cubby. Even Bonnie is mentioning 6 pages of off topic conversation when her post was on page 11. Something seems amiss!

Very slick! Can't see myself covering that up with any console now :)

It is slick looking, but still lacks function as far as I'm concerned. It's great for a laptop bag, backpack, or gym bag, but those could just as easily be thrown in the frunk or trunk, and you won't always be traveling with a bag. So then it becomes this open void of unconcealed storage where it likely becomes a receptacle for crap. Loose papers, receipts, coins (rattling around), chargers, makeup, kid's toys, etc. Not exactly the look I'm going for with a car of this price. Still needs CONCEALED storage IMHO. But I'll be the first to say that I'm at least impressed by Tesla's quick reaction time to get that cubby in place, refine the look of the 'negative space', and add rear seat cup holders. Bravo Tesla!