Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Preparing for your Model S: Selecting outlet, Solar City, etc.

Blog Entries

Preparing for your Model S: Selecting outlet, Solar City, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Bardlebee View Post
    Ah! Good idea, I didn't think about that. I have very little experience with electronics, which is interesting because I work with computers. I will have to look into that, thank you.
    That's what I use for my Roadster - plenty of time to fully charge while I sleep, even when I come home with a low SOC (state of charge - you'll see that acronym a lot on this forum). Added benefit, when we did a small music event here, the various musicians were thrilled to have the outlet for powering amps, etc.
    PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum. My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum, without my expressed consent.

Quote Originally Posted by bonnie1194 View Post
    That's what I use for my Roadster - plenty of time to fully charge while I sleep, even when I come home with a low SOC (state of charge - you'll see that acronym a lot on this forum). Added benefit, when we did a small music event here, the various musicians were thrilled to have the outlet for powering amps, etc.
    Nice! Yeah I plan on installing solar panels as well so I may have to look into the possibility of it charging my car. Though I most likely will restrict it to my houses energy as I don't think it would be able to handle both.

Sig X#1100 and X#1618 Discoducky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bardlebee View Post
    Ah! Good idea, I didn't think about that. I have very little experience with electronics, which is interesting because I work with computers. I will have to look into that, thank you.
    I'm expecting the cost to install 14-50 in my garage to be no more than $200 based on what others have said and I don't think it will require a new breaker box.

Quote Originally Posted by Discoducky View Post
    I'm expecting the cost to install 14-50 in my garage to be no more than $200 based on what others have said and I don't think it will require a new breaker box.
    The cost is not substantial.

I received two quotes to upgrade the interior electric with a new 100 amp subpanel, a 40 ft conduit to our detached garage, a 100 amp garage subpanel, and NEMA 14-50 plug (50 amp) for about $1700.

The plug alone is inexpensive.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2
    MODEL S 85 | BLUE

Quote Originally Posted by Discoducky View Post
    Well running copper a good distance can be expensive. But if your plug is near your breaker panel it shouldn't be that costly. Wire will probably be at least half their material cost (even if your plug is about 10' from your breaker panel.

Think with dispassion; Speak with equanimity; Act in calm.
    Moderator - Southeast, Future Cars, TMC Connect
    Do not use this material outside of Tesla Motors Club without attribution and permission.

Quote Originally Posted by ElSupreme View Post
    Well running copper a good distance can be expensive. But if your plug is near your breaker panel it shouldn't be that costly. Wire will probably be at least half their material cost (even if your plug is about 10' from your breaker panel.
    Yes, copper is expensive!

I needed 20m (60ft) of 5x 6mm2 cable to my garage, that was EUR 400,00 worth of cable! That's excluding the extra breaker and other materials.
    BMW M5 E39 - Kawasaki Z750R - 3-phase power - Not a Roadster owner, but the co-owner of my/our company is

85kWh - 19" Cyclone grey - Pearl White - Tech Package - PDC - Sunroof - Twin-Chargers - Light package - Nappa Leather

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ElSupreme View Post
    Yep, my installation was closer to $700 - but I had the plug installed in the garage about as far away from the breaker box as possible. I'm just that way.

Seriously, it's in the perfect spot for me - center column between the two garage doors. I can easily plug in my Roadster no matter which side I park on, back in or pull in. And easily reached by people parking outside (or musicians needing the outlet).
    PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum. My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum, without my expressed consent.

I see Tesla is recommending the wall mounted connector vs the mobile connector if your daily commute round trip is over 80 miles. The 80 miles seems low given the mobile connector can charge 31 miles/hour and most utilities offer low rates for at least 5 hours of off peak charging. I would like to know why 80 miles was chosen vs 100 or even higher.

Model S EU#P1088 (P85)
    Quote Originally Posted by widodh View Post
    Yes, copper is expensive!

I needed 20m (60ft) of 5x 6mm2 cable to my garage, that was EUR 400,00 worth of cable! That's excluding the extra breaker and other materials.
    You bought from the wrong place
    <€240 from here:
    http://elby.no/Kabel-og-Ledning/PFXP...8-0mm-Hvit-met

I have a Nema 10-50 plug in my garage. I don't see that on the new charging page (which btw I find very helpful). I am guessing I need an electrician to convert it to a Nema 14-50?

Thread Information