Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warranty Expired!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

vfx

Aug 18, 2006
CA CA
Three wonderful years are now up.

Cars 1 to 500 had a 4 year 50Km warranty but cars from 501 to the end came standard with a 3 year 36Km warranty.

Car number 500 was delivered on June 4 2009 (yay!) so any Roadster delivered after that date now goes out into the world of fend for yourself.

Some have passed the miles like that guy with 100K is there anyone here who is out of warranty now or soon?

Anyone hear about a new extended warranty?

Given the cost of a battery and a PEM it's a question worth asking.

I've noticed that there have been a few more inquiries regarding an extended warranty, so I asked Joost de Vries as to current status. Yep, it's coming. Here was the reply:

We should have an extended vehicle and a separate extended battery warranty (transferable to any new owner) available I would say in the next 2 months.
We have almost zero Roadsters going out of warranty during the next couple of months so the pressure wasn't 'too' hot yet.

Hard to stay patient, isn't it? :)

Is it safe to assume that roadsters out of warranty can still purchase the extended warranty? or is it required that a roadster be in warranty in order to be eligible to purchase the extended warranty? I think it would be wise for Tesla to offer a powertrain extended warranty as well as a bumper to bumper warranty. The squeaks and noise etc from the lotus bits I do not think can ever be solved permanently and I can live with that (I am not sure if Tesla wants its tech's to spend a bunch of time disassembling dashboards for the next 3 years to solve a squeak under warranty). Most people are worried about powertrain failures.

I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that it will work something like this: The extended warranty must be purchased before the original warranty expires, except that everyone will have a grace period of a month or three from the time the offer is announced. Then maybe there'll be a cut-off date so that the last Roadster buyers will have a year or six months to decide but won't be able to wait until the end of their original warranty.

IOW, they'll allow (the very few) out-of-warranty Roadsters to buy the extended warranty, but not allow the rest to simply wait until there's a major repair to buy in. Everyone can get in at the start, but there will be some reasonable cut-off time.

That's my guess.

I cannot find any mention in my paperwork of what the extended warranty would have cost. I have the extended warranty contract, but it does not mention a cost, and since I didn't buy it, my invoice does not mention it either. Of course, the cost now might be more. There's a $100 deductible, which I think is reasonable. But that, also, might be different.

For what its worth, I have the (old) price list for Tesla Hong Kong.

Base Roadster here was HK$1,070,000 (Roadster Sport HK$1,235,00). Battery replacement agreement was HK$93,600. Extended Service Agreement was HK$39,000 (US$5,000 at fixed peg of HK$7.8=US$1).

The one I was offered runs for three years or 36,000 miles after the end of the original warranty. And yes, it calls itself an extended service agreement, not a warranty. And thanks, Mark, for the price (assuming it's the same here as it is there). That $5,000 is probably why I declined it. No decision yet whether I will take them up when they announce the new offer.

Come to think of warranty stuff... I've had several ICE vehicles which had problems like computer failures which were covered for a long time because they were part of the emissions equipment. Maybe some law said emissions equipment must have a longer warranty. With an EV, what emissions equipment? Zero emissions would mean none of that is there. Or maybe the whole car is emissions equipment? :)

Come to think of warranty stuff... I've had several ICE vehicles which had problems like computer failures which were covered for a long time because they were part of the emissions equipment. Maybe some law said emissions equipment must have a longer warranty. With an EV, what emissions equipment? Zero emissions would mean none of that is there. Or maybe the whole car is emissions equipment? :)
I believe that CA and other CARB-compliant states have that longer warranty requirement on emissions. With an EV there are no emissions, so no legal requirement. But no emissions certifications or testing either. Non-CARB states do not have the longer warranty on emissions equipment.

My warranty expired a few months ago (and it was memorable: Warranty Maintainence). I'm certainly hoping that Tesla offers the extended service agreement to me, even though I've had a period of being uncovered. I asked them several times if they'd sell me one, and they always said no, that I would have had to buy it with the car.

When I first made the purchase, I was worried that Tesla wouldn't make it as a company, and so the bet that a) I'd need more service than the cost of the extension, and b) Tesla would exist to provide the service. I'm much less worried about both of them now. :)