Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Is an AWD Model S Necessary?

While in some way I share the excitement, also a word of caution: He said the Model X definitely will have 4WD, while for the Model S they are looking at it. That might mean they are building a prototype, or even just that they are investigating the pros and cons. Although it does come pretty close to saying there will be one, which would certainly seem to make sense, so one should be able to expect it from that point of view.
    Buying an EV is one thing, being able to drive it beyond city limits another...

being in Minnesota, I would definitely spring for the AWD.

Sacrifice

Quote Originally Posted by Raven5000 View Post
    guy from tesla says theyre working on an awd version of the model during the test drive! Dam how much more is that going to cost me and will effect range?

Check out the video guy could be wrong.

MSP testdrive nov26 2012 Oslo - YouTube
    There's possibly one catch: the AWD version will likely not have the front trunk, or have a reduced one. You have to put the motor and inverter somewhere.

Roadster #1144 + Sig 114 dsm363's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbys View Post
    There's possibly one catch: the AWD version will likely not have the front trunk, or have a reduced one. You have to put the motor and inverter somewhere.
    It would likely have a reduced one like the Model X since they share the same platform. Only that back part of the frunk would go away.
    Moderator - Model S, Mountain/Southwest, Texas, Northwest, Off Topic forums
    PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum. My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum, without my expressed consent.

Holy moly. That would probably put the 0-60 times in the low 3 second range for the performance model. You're talking about beating 99% of supercars off the line, save for the Bugatti Veyron.

Like like the Oslo video; the Manchester dude's accent is harder to understand than the driver's, though!

I sure hope so! Only reason they don't have my deposit now.

PS dual motor AWD should be _epic_ for traction. Not just because it's electric, but because having a center differential sucks. Imagine: software can control both axles to a given _speed_ regardless of torque output. No excess spinning, no delays, no lack of traction, no binding in tight turns.

Forget snow. AWD is needed for wet roads. I'll leave RWD for track day cars. Real roads, real conditions, need tons of torque and traction.

No other ICE car can have a design as elegant and dynamic performance to match, not to mention crazy potential torque.

That's me driving. I wouldn't read too much into it. This guy was nice and all but he didn't seem very well connected to Tesla's inner circles
    Models S EU P#389 - P85 blue, twin chargers, pano roof, 19" wheels, tech pack, security pack, winter pack, black leather interior. Delivered Sept 5th 2013. - Model X EU P#5 reservation -

AWD makes lot of sence for northeastern states. and also i heard additional motor will improve torque by 50% (from model X launch)... so makes a lot of sense for me.

Thread Information