Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California Clean Vehicle Rebate Project

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update:
Clean Vehicle Rebate Project, official web site

$2,500 rebate. 85 and 60 kWh packs are now eligible, 40 kWh presumably to follow.

Update: New funding has been added as of 3/1/13!

Chart of remaining funds:
oimg

(I believe that the red line, remaining minus pending, is the most realistic estimate of remaining funds.)

Interactive chart and spreadsheet of CVRP remaining funds

Original post:

So my understanding is that California currently offers a $2500 rebate for buying an electric vehicle, but this expires on June 30th (this according to Tesla's site). However, I found this proposed funding plan that seems to propose that the program be renewed for fiscal year 2012-13:

AQIP Funding Plans

(Direct link to plan: http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aqip/fundplan/AQIP_FY2012_FundingPlan.pdf)

It will be presented to the board for approval on June 28th. That's cutting it close! Anyway, fingers crossed!

Last edited:
I just sent the CVRP people an email about the 60 kWh pack. Hopefully they will have it listed by the time I get my car, since I will want to reserve my rebate as soon as I get the car.

There's still $6,718,879 remaining, so it should hold up for a couple more months, I hope.

Got this response:

Unfortunately, I am unable to give you a clear answer on the timeframe for when the 60 kWh Model S will be eligible for the state rebate. We are confident that the 60 kWh Model S will be added to the Eligible Vehicle list on the CVRP website soon. The vehicle has already been certified as a Zero Emission Vehicle by the Air Resources Board (the ‘hard’ part) and the final step to receive eligibility is mostly administrative in nature. We add new eligible models to our site as soon as possible after receiving notification from the Air Resource Board.

Damn, $271,500 in one day. Well, I guess that could be two days, depending on when they updated the page. I'm getting a little worried that my 1/27-2/10 delivery range is going to be too late.

that is about 100 people per day, correct?
If they are pushing out maybe 1/4 - 1/2 of those as Model S' each day (if they are still getting out the same rate as they were on Dec 1)
that will eat it up quick :eek:

This sucks. With each passing day my decision to save $10k becomes more likely a savings of only $7.5k. :cursing:

If I had known, I would have gone with the 85!
Actually, if I had known a lot of things I would have been a very rich guy, but that's hindsight for you.

$ 4,853,979 now

Oh I just saw markb1's idea about updating one post to avoid clutter. I'll stop unless there hasn't been any update for some time.

No problem. Maybe I should keep it in the top post. Pretty soon it's not going to matter, it seems.

- - - Updated - - -

Was just reading this:

http://energycenter.org/index.php/incentive-programs/clean-vehicle-rebate-project/tesla-s-requirements
To qualify for a rebate, vehicles must meet the following requirements:

1. The vehicle must be new as defined in the California Vehicle Code (CVC) section 430 and must be manufactured by the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) or its authorized licensee. Vehicles considered new vehicles solely for determination of compliance with state emissions standards are not eligible.

2. The vehicle must be on the List of Eligible Vehicles (available at www. CVRP.energycenter.org) on the date of purchase or lease.

3. Zero-Emission Motorcycles ( ZEMs) and Neighborhood Electric Vehicles ( NEVs) must be equipped with sealed, maintenance-free batteries and meet the warranty requirements as described in Sections 2.3.3 and 2.3.4 of the CVRP Implementation Manual.

You know, if I read this literally, it says that if you get your 60kWh Model S before it's on the list, your are forever ineligible for the rebate. They better hurry up and add it.

This sucks. With each passing day my decision to save $10k becomes more likely a savings of only $7.5k. :cursing:

If I had known, I would have gone with the 85!
Actually, if I had known a lot of things I would have been a very rich guy, but that's hindsight for you.

@Kipernicus - I was getting concerned myself, so I called Colin Santulli (CVRP Program Manger).
http://energycenter.org/index.php/incentive-programs/clean-vehicle-rebate-project/contact-cvrp
He was very nice and assured me the 60kwh battery size will be eligible for the rebate. He said that it will be listed on the website about a week before the first delivery. I happily informed that deliveries could start this weekend :biggrin: He said not to worry and that he is just waiting on the final paperwork from Tesla. He assured me that even if I was to take delivery of the car before it's on the website that they will still honor the rebate. He also said is very confident that the CVRP funds should last through Februrary.

Hope this eases you tension somewhat. No regrets on getting the 60kwh, it will be worth the wait :wink:

Before I saw this thread and to keep the pressure up in any case, sent them this email:

Hi Colin, Amy, Tom, John,

How are you? I have a quick question: I'm all set to pick up my 2013 Tesla Model S equipped with the 60 kWh battery pack this Saturday (01/19/2013) from the Tesla Factory in Fremont. I'll probably be one of the first few folks to get this version as the 60 kWh has just entered production.

However, I noticed that the list of CVRP-rebate-eligible ZEVs does not yet include the 60 kWh version and only the 85 kWh pack (that has been in production since June, 2012) is listed.

Can you please clarify when the 60 kWh version will be listed?

I'm concerned that the CVRP rebate funds may be exhausted soon given the surge in demand for eligible PHEVs too and that I may not get a chance to apply in time to receive the rebate.

I'd really appreciate a response. Thanks in advance!