Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The 12 Volt Battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are a couple discussions dancing around the 12 volt system in Roadsters:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/4849-12-volt-accessories
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/4560-Voluntary-fix-offered-for-Roadster-models-2-0-and-2-5?highlight=12+volt+battery

However, I couldn't find a lot of specifics on the 12 volt battery.

1) Is it just an AGM battery?

2) How/when is it charged?

3) Can anyone categorically state which systems it drives and/or acts as a buffer on?

4) Has anyone had it fail? If so, what happens?

) Is it just an AGM battery?

2) How/when is it charged?

3) Can anyone categorically state which systems it drives and/or acts as a buffer on?

4) Has anyone had it fail? If so, what happens?

It is a little lead-acid motorcycle-style 12V battery.

It is kept topped-up by the main ESS.

It drives the car's emergency systems. Things like brake lights, hazard warnings, alarm system, etc.

If it fails, VDS will give a warning and car must be manually unlocked.

I've no idea if car can be driven if it has failed. Some reports say yes, but it may depends on the degree of failure - 0V is obviously a failure, but what about 1V, 5V or 10V?

Here's what the battery looks like:

photo.JPG

I'm wondering if the 12v battery could be moved to the trunk. I think that might be easier to replace and it could be made bigger so that it doesn't need to be replaced as often. Only downside would be, you'd lose some trunk space.

Just had mine replaced yesterday; it went out last week. The key fob didn't work, but rather than using the manual key i was told to open the charge-port door -- it engages the high-voltage system which then provides 12v. It was a bit wierd opening the charge port door b/f the keyfob would work but wasn't really a problem. The car otherwise operates as normal. The battery itself is a smallish motorcycle-sized battery.
//dan.

Can you unlock the doors with the key fob? Mine finally got fixed.

Haven't tried - I've been using OVMS to lock/unlock as I know that works even without a 12V battery working :)

I'm told that the car tries to use the 12V battery to unlock the doors, but if there is insufficient power then the car issues the alert to the VDS then wakes up the main ESS and 12V converter (hear the little coolant circulation pump working) and uses that to power the door unlock. Opening charge port door, or just pressing door handle, does the same thing - but may take a second or two to wake up. Pretty much aligns with everything I learned doing OVMS.

Mine failed recently. Unlocking the doors with the fob took a few extra presses (and smaller range), and following unlock, the door handles did not release the door latch until the car had booted up (around 5-10 seconds after unlock).

Mine is at 24 months... no problems yet. Will probably die when the weather gets cold. In my experience these types of batteries under moderate usage last a few years.

+1 - I'm at 2 years since delivery. But then again I don't use the car that often. Service will be in about 2 weeks.

How difficult is it to access the battery? The picture is good - I just don't know how much it took to access it.