Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Subsidies for installing a charger in a (private) parking lot?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't get my Model S until this time next year, but I'm trying to encourage my company to install a charging point in the car park, for use by employees, and any visitors we may have that arrive in an EV (it's Texas, but you never know!). Right now, one of my team drives a Volt, and our facilities guys basically rigged up an extension cord from an old guard hut. It's not an elegant solution.

It's fair to say my company is not as progressive as some (think of the movie Office Space), so it's unlikely they would pay a lot for a charger, but they might be convinced if there's a good PR angle, and a subsidy. I assume these vary by state, but does anyone know of anything for Texas/Dallas?

The EV Project includes Texas. There's a link to contact Ecotality so you can ask for details--perhaps they've used up all the money allocated for your area, although I doubt it. They also have a lot of DOE restrictions on where they can put chargers.

The Chargepoint America program is also in Texas, but I think only within 70 miles of Austin.

I am not sure about state incentives. Note that some cities, counties, and other entities (like Air Quality Management Districts in CA) offer incentives, so it can pay to look around. Anybody selling EVSEs in your area should be familiar with them.

Thanks. I registered with The EV Project a month or so ago, but hadn't heard anything back. Looking at Ecotality, it looks like the only option is a Blink charger, that each user would end up paying for, as opposed to the company (I assume - couldn't see an option to set it to 'free vend'). But thanks, will research further.