Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nuvo water softeners: scam or legit???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

daniel

May 7, 2009
Kihei, HI
Does anybody know anything about Nuvo water softeners? They claim to soften water by using chelation. Not a filter or an ion-exchange system. The thing injects citric acid and corn starch (or a chemical made from them?) into the water, which supposedly binds the minerals that cause hardness in water. The minerals are not removed, but are prevented from precipitating onto the plumbing. Thus the water is softened without adding salt. The cartridges are replaced twice a year or so, every X number of gallons, depending on the size of the softener and cartridge. The softeners come in three sizes, and there are several sizes of cartridges, depending on the size of your house and the number of people, which is to say how much water you use.

It sounds plausible. Chelation is a real chemical process, though the word is used in some medical scams. So, does anybody actually know whether this company and its softeners are on the level?

The softeners come in three sizes, and there are several sizes of cartridges, depending on the size of your house and the number of people, which is to say how much water you use.

It sounds plausible. Chelation is a real chemical process, though the word is used in some medical scams. So, does anybody actually know whether this company and its softeners are on the level?

I have no idea how effective it is Daniel, but it's also going to depend on how hard your water is. The water in this area isn't especially hard.

In the Desert Hot Springs, the water is so hard you can't even use drip irrigation for more than a month or two before the holes in the lines are plugged up.

RO is typically for drinking water. Water softeners are to protect the plumbing. The former is installed on one dedicated drinking-water faucet. The latter is installed on the pipe that brings water into the house. Instead of RO my low-tech solution to drinking water is a Brita pitcher filter. On the assumption that Spokane water is safe, all I need is to take out the bad taste, and the filter does that.