Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Section of the Website? "Charging"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Definitely new. There's all sorts of new info.

- iPhone and Android App to be released late this summer
- guides for people to figure out which charger set-up they should get
- installation guides for the HPC and for the mobile connector.
- **SHOCKER** Solar City is their official partner for charger installations (bet they'll give you a quote for solar panels while they're at it!)
-

What a beautifully designed webpage!! Everything's explained well even for EV noobs.

And, it's great that SolarCity can be called upon not just for HPWC installation but for a 14-50 outlet as well. SolarCity is well-acquainted with my home as they put a PV system in place here.

Well, now we know:

• The app will be late summer (probably mid to late september I'm guessing)
  • the 60kwh model S need additional hardware or software to super charge
  • superchargers can refill 300 miles of range in an hour (schweet for road trips)
  • The touch screen will allow you to search for charging stations (assuming on the map)

Thanks for posting this! Great stuff for a neophyte like me.

The part about "don't use a supercharger all the time"...that's because it reduces battery life over time, more quickly than regular charging, right? Is there a way to throttle a supercharger back so it doesn't have this effect? I'm thinking of times I'll be on the road and need a quicker-than-120 charge, but don't need the 10x faster/top-it-off. Does anyone know if we'll be able to get a supercharger to give it to us more like a garden hose, not a fire hose (supercharger) or straw (110v)? Am I even making sense?

Apparently electricity is more expensive in my area--a lot!--than the national average of 14 cents, or else I'm overinterpreting my bill--23 versus 14, or really 24 when I count the per-kwh taxes/fees (I'm guessing 14 is just the energy itself, for the national average figure they quote...?) So I think I'll cut my fuel costs roughly in half (maybe it'll be over half; I'm not sure what my MPG is on my current car, anyway...not great).

Anyway, great stuff!

Thanks for posting this! Great stuff for a neophyte like me.

The part about "don't use a supercharger all the time"...that's because it reduces battery life over time, more quickly than regular charging, right? Is there a way to throttle a supercharger back so it doesn't have this effect? I'm thinking of times I'll be on the road and need a quicker-than-120 charge, but don't need the 10x faster/top-it-off. Does anyone know if we'll be able to get a supercharger to give it to us more like a garden hose, not a fire hose (supercharger) or straw (110v)? Am I even making sense?

Apparently electricity is more expensive in my area--a lot!--than the national average of 14 cents, or else I'm overinterpreting my bill--23 versus 14, or really 24 when I count the per-kwh taxes/fees (I'm guessing 14 is just the energy itself, for the national average figure they quote...?) So I think I'll cut my fuel costs roughly in half (maybe it'll be over half; I'm not sure what my MPG is on my current car, anyway...not great).

Anyway, great stuff!

You should contact your utility company and ask if they have a Time of Use plan. Many do. It can have a huge affect on how much it costs to charge your car (assuming you charge at the right times). As an example: my flat-rate electricity cost is roughly $0.12/kWh, but if I switch to their Time of Use plan and charge my car at night, I will only pay about $0.05/kWh.

As the new charging page mentions, you can even program Model S to not start charging until a certain time. This way, you can plug the car in right away when you get home, but it will wait until your lower-rate hours to start filling up your battery.

The part about "don't use a supercharger all the time"...that's because it reduces battery life over time, more quickly than regular charging, right?
I caught that too, I wonder if that's because 'filling' the battery that fast generates more heat, heat being a known enemy to lengthy battery life? I also wonder if the Twin Chargers would suffer from this but obviously to a lesser degree?

I hope the new Model S connector to Roadster connector will be available immediately. It would not be fun to have to use a Roadster HPC, UMC and concurrently also install a Model S HPC and UMC. All these charging stations will occupy a whole wall! Would be easier to just replace the roadster charging equipment with Model S equipment.

I think there is a bug in the calculator: Selected a distance (100 miles) and a single charger. The charging time cuts in half between the 240v-40a Nema 14-50 and the wall charger. This seems correct except that the wall charger with a single charger in the car is also rated at 240v-40a and should be taking the same amount of time. Both options correctly show 240v-40a. It is just that the charging time should be the same between them.

Update: I was just contacted by Tesla and apparently they are looking into the issue.

Last edited: