Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Wheel Bolt Pattern?

For those getting aftermarket tires/rims, anyone considering a staggered setup (i.e. 245/40/20's in the front and 265/40/20's in the rear) similar to the setup in this review below?

Porsche Panamera GTS vs. Tesla Model S Track Test

Be aware that a staggered setup with wider at the rear adds understeer. That may not be the behavior you're looking for, but to each their own. Unclear on how tail happy the Tesla S is in various conditions but I'm guessing pretty conservative already with lots of electronic nannies.

hmm...good to know. I thought it would be a viable option since that was the setup on the track test.

- - - Updated - - -

hmm...good to know. I thought it would be a viable option since that was the setup on the track test.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bonehead View Post
    For those getting aftermarket tires/rims, anyone considering a staggered setup (i.e. 245/40/20's in the front and 265/40/20's in the rear) similar to the setup in this review below?
    You could probably fit the 265 on the same rim as the 245 - rims always accommodate a range of tire sizes.
    Roadster #919, Model S #2006. Blog The Rules of Model S Road Tripping
    Moderator: Tesla Motors , Electric Vehicles, Media, Roadster,
    Canada, EVents and Off Topic sub-forums.

I just got word back that the stock Model S wheels are hub-centric (from my Tesla POC). Most of the aftermarket wheels that you will get will be lug-centric. You can use a lug-centric wheel on a previously hub-centric setup (This is from me). I've done it on a few cars now and as long as you center the aftermarket wheel properly on the lugs and torque them appropriately they work fine.

Looks like I am ready to order my wheels for the Model S! I plan to do a custom setup of 20x9 front at +30 with 235/35/20 and 20x9 rear at +25 with 245/35/20. It should give me a very neutral handling car that can be rotated under braking.

cool. thanks for the info, Doug_G.

nrcooled, nice! regarding your setup, what's the 20x9 mean, as well as the +30? does that have to do with lug pattern,offset, etc?

- - - Updated - - -

looks like Elon has a staggered setup...

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/10339-Performance-Plus-Upgrade

S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13 jerry33's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug_G View Post
    You could probably fit the 265 on the same rim as the 245 - rims always accommodate a range of tire sizes.
    You can, but it won't be optimal. Rim width should be the same as tread width.
    1. Do not copy anything that I post outside of the TMC forum without permission.
    2. Any advice or opinions posted here are to be taken as my personal opinions only. There is no implied warranty, fitness for purpose, or official statements from any company I may have been or am affiliated with.
    3. Even the best recommendations are wrong when used inappropriately.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jerry33 View Post
    You can, but it won't be optimal. Rim width should be the same as tread width.
    If you look at the tire specifications, they always quote a range of acceptable rim widths. Yes being right in the middle is "ideal", but it will work fine with no issues as long as you are within spec. Also you'll often find that tires from different manufacturers with nominally the same size actually quote different ranges of rim widths. Check the tire specs.
    Roadster #919, Model S #2006. Blog The Rules of Model S Road Tripping
    Moderator: Tesla Motors , Electric Vehicles, Media, Roadster,
    Canada, EVents and Off Topic sub-forums.

S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13 jerry33's Avatar
    If you look at the tire specifications, they always quote a range of acceptable rim widths. Yes being right in the middle is "ideal", but it will work fine with no issues as long as you are within spec.
    It will work with no issues--won't fall apart--but handling and/or ride comfort will be not as good on some rim widths within the range. Note that the best rim width for a specific tire may not be the middle one.

Also you'll often find that tires from different manufacturers with nominally the same size actually quote different ranges of rim widths. Check the tire specs.
    That is correct. The reason for this tends to be one of economy for the manufacturer. That is, if they don't have enough demand for a particular size, rather than make a new mold they use another size tire, change the mold markings, and mount it on a wider/narrower rim to get it within TRA/ETRTO/JTRTO specs. This makes that tire have a different rim width range than the tires from a manufacturer who went to the expense of making a mold for that tire size.

In addition, some tires of the same nominal size will have a wider tread compared to others and so are designed to use a wider (or narrower) rim width.
    1. Do not copy anything that I post outside of the TMC forum without permission.
    2. Any advice or opinions posted here are to be taken as my personal opinions only. There is no implied warranty, fitness for purpose, or official statements from any company I may have been or am affiliated with.
    3. Even the best recommendations are wrong when used inappropriately.

Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere, but a forum search came up empty on this for me. I have contacted Tesla and they do not sell wheel locks at this time. I checked with Gorilla, and they have never even heard of a Tesla (yikes!).

So has anybody been successful in locating wheel locks for the Model S wheels? I'm only getting the 19" version but I would assume those with the 21" wheels would be interested in protecting their investment.

Thanks for any replies. I don't mean to hijack the thread but it seems related.

Cheers.

Thread Information