Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are the 21" Wheels stopping your Performance upgrade?

Are the 21" Wheels stopping your Prefomance upgrade?

• I am already ordering the Performance version and keeping the 21s.

Votes: 72 48.3%
  • I am already ordering the Performance version and I would take the credit for the downgrade.

Votes: 18 12.1%
  • I would order the Performance version only if I get credit for the downgrade to 19s.

Votes: 37 24.8%
  • I am already ordering the Standard version and keeping my order unchanged.

Votes: 22 14.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All,

After going back and forth on options in preparation of my order, and after the loss of the Aero wheels I have one major sticking point; The 21" wheels. Simply put, if I could order the Performance version without the 21"s(and get credit for them), I would order it. Without the credit for the downgrade, I'm not going to order the Performance version.

I have seen a number of treads on this already, on mileage comparisons, on availability of winter tires, on swaps, and a poll that shows more than half of responders don't think it's a good idea to not credit the downgrade. If Tesla is going to change their policy on this, we have to be able to show that when the rubber hits the road, they will make more by allowing the credit for downgrading from the 21". It's not clear to me if this is true or not, so I ask everyone, Would giving the credit for the 21" wheels change your order?

Peter

The 21" wheels are the only options I could do without. Before pricing came out I thought 10K premium for the performance version was a good deal. Compared to the regular car with leather and air suspension which I was planning on getting anyways, the performance package is a 12K difference . If it was a $15K difference it would make me think a little harder about if I really wanted a "holy *sugar*" quick car vs the regular "holy cow" quick car.

Packages always suck. The base car is awesome as it is and the performance edition was a wonderful surprise to us when it was unveiled last October so I'm not crying over the 21" wheels.

We had a few threads on this and it's been debated pretty fiercely. The responses range from "The lack of credit is a serious issue" to "meh" to "this is totally normal/fine/expected". In some cases, opposing views understand each other even if they don't agree. In other cases, it's been pretty heated.

For me personally, it's the blocking point. For $8500, I'll upgrade to the perf (the cost difference from the base with all items the same). At $12000 it's beyond my price vs. value breakpoint.

I'm getting Performance and keeping the 21", but adding a set of 19" for winter use.

Incidentally, I'm probably not going for the "Performance Wheels" but instead keeping the silver ones, because from what I've seen so far they don't look very good on Signature Red. The only car I've seen with the grey wheels was a white, and it looked awesome.

I'm getting Performance and keeping the 21", but adding a set of 19" for winter use.

Incidentally, I'm probably not going for the "Performance Wheels" but instead keeping the silver ones, because from what I've seen so far they don't look very good on Signature Red. The only car I've seen with the grey wheels was a white, and it looked awesome.

Agree with Doug, absolutely.

I'm not against anyone lobbying for a change, but do we really need to discuss this again?

I agree that the re-hashing of this topic may be annoying to some, but given the discontinuation of the Aero option, the game has changed a bit. There's no intermediary wheel option between the standard 19" and the performance 21". Even though I didn't particularly care for the Aero aesthetic, I perceive that as greater value lost.

I would like to see TM offer the same performance wheel design in a 19" version, as an option for the performance configuration. I like the fan-blade/carbon gray appearance of the 21" wheels, but can't justify the 21" wheels due to my all-season needs. The 21" wheels are a $3500 up charge for standard S cars. That's a hard pill to swallow, essentially throwing away $3500 for a performance configured without 21" wheels. I don't expect a full $3500 worth of credit, but a compromise of some kind would be welcomed with open arms!

Even though I didn't particularly care for the Aero aesthetic, I perceive that as greater value lost.

So do I. My hope is that by the time my number comes up there will be an aero wheel replacement--maybe even with a sensible tire size although I am not particularly hopeful about the latter.

I would prefer 19's but my wife likes the turbine wheels so we're getting silver 21's on our blue Perf. But if there was a 19" turbine option (wasn't someone looking into this? From Lorinser or someone?) then I would go with that. If a 19 turbine comes out as we're wearing out our first set of 21" rubber I might go that route and sell the 21's.

So if you're in an area with a number of other reservation holders, spec the 21's, buy a set of 19's from Tesla for $1k, and then sell the 21's to someone who is getting a non-perf car and wants 21's. Or swap with someone with 19's plus come cash. At least you'll be getting something for the 21's...

Again, packages are common in the industry. In the old days it was to simplify manufacturing. Now w/ computers and JIT assembly line practices it's a way to increase profit margins. Without profit companies go bankrupt. Bottom line is that if this was a really big deal, someone would come into the market to exploit that opening. As yet no one has so it clearly doesn't make that much difference in the grand scheme. So you're going to have to figure out if Performance is worth $12k to you or it isn't.

I would prefer 19's but my wife likes the turbine wheels so we're getting silver 21's on our blue Perf. But if there was a 19" turbine option (wasn't someone looking into this? From Lorinser or someone?) then I would go with that. If a 19 turbine comes out as we're wearing out our first set of 21" rubber I might go that route and sell the 21's.

I do remember someone posting that up. Regardless, I think there will be many aftermarket options available. 21" is the largest wheel I've ever had on a car (19" to me are usually biggest), but I look forward to them. If things get too harsh, there's always the stock 19's (meh) and aftermarket solutions.

As an aside, not a huge fan of the 19's on the X, but I think they're a nice option for Tesla to offer as well. They've got a bit if a semi-turbine going.

bg_01_modelx_prod-05-kc_0.jpg

Strawman counterpoint tactic. :(

Perhaps Bonnie can merge into the original thread(s).

I agree with you both (brianman & NigelM). (And no one was trying to stifle debate anywhere that I saw. Did I miss something?)

I'd merge, but the problem is the other thread is also a poll -- and I don't want destroy one poll by merging. So I'd prefer to just let this run and I'll merge when the poll here closes.

It would be simpler, in the future, if discussion continued in the original thread.

Brianman/Bonnie,

I would have continued one of the other treads, but I'm not that interested in rehashing everything with the wheels anymore per say, I am interested in figuring out if the numbers work better for Tesla, and us, if they change the packaging options. With the numbers from this poll, I can rough out how much it both costs Tesla, and how much they will gain, with a change of their package.

For me the loss of the Aero's pushed me over the edge. The biggest issue I have with the 21" wheels is there is no tire that I can buy that works year round where I live, and I think that is true for a large percentage of the US, and maybe Tesla's world market. If Tesla announced that one of the tire manufacturers will have an all season to fit the 21", my major objection would disappear, but, having to pay 12K instead of 8.5K for Performance, and either throw the money away, or spend even more to buy another wheel set is just too much for me.

Thanks to all who have voted!

Last edited: