Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen III Crossover

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AnOutsider

S532 # XS27
Apr 3, 2009
I guess it makes sense, but it never crossed my mind until seeing this slide:

slide.png

So I guess they'll be shooting for the Q5 with this one if the Model X shoots for the Q7. Model X mini? No idea on naming convention, though Elon seemed to almost say Gen III's name but stopped and said Generation 3 instead.

as an aside, we rail on publications, but even Tesla still uses the prototype vehicle in their slides (the white S in the background)

So, what do you think? A 5-seater crossover? Maybe Ford Escape sized?

View attachment 6638

This pic actually does make me think of a small Model X.

I am thinking smaller. They have said it will be a 3 series competitor. So think the size of a 3 series or an X3. Which I think is a tiny bit smaller than an A5. But I could be wrong. Lord knows it has happened before LOL

I am thinking smaller. They have said it will be a 3 series competitor. So think the size of a 3 series or an X3. Which I think is a tiny bit smaller than an A5. But I could be wrong. Lord knows it has happened before LOL

Are you sure its not both?

GenII is 2 cars. GenIII is Sedan AND Crossover. So 2 cars - one being the sedan (so I am also thinking BMW 3) and the other being a crossover, perhaps something between the Sedan and Model X? (such as the picture above)

Elon might have said its only one car in the Shareholder meeting so I could be wrong, I'm just watching that now.

-----------------------------------

He says "If you think the Model S as the BMW 5 series then the Third Generation will be comparable to the 3 series", which makes me things it's going to be the normal 3 series car. But not sure where the Crossover bit comes from!

Last edited:
Right, at least two cars. A sedan (which we've known about) and a crossover (which we are discussing here because this is the first we've heard about that). Nobody questions the 3-series like sedan, the question is what will the crossover be like.

GenII is 2 cars. GenIII is Sedan AND Crossover. So 2 cars - one being the sedan (so I am also thinking BMW 3) and the other being a crossover, perhaps something between the Sedan and Model X? (such as the picture above)

Elon might have said its only one car in the Shareholder meeting so I could be wrong, I'm just watching that now.

-----------------------------------

He says "If you think the Model S as the BMW 5 series then the Third Generation will be comparable to the 3 series", which makes me things it's going to be the normal 3 series car. But not sure where the Crossover bit comes from!

Comes from the slide in the first post. It says Gen III sedan and crossover. I think the X3 is a crossover on a 3 series body, no?

GenII is 2 cars. GenIII is Sedan AND Crossover.
Yeah, of course at least two cars. GenIII is a platform. (We've been calling it Bluestar for the past five or so years.) In other threads we've already talked about a smaller sport sedan and the next gen Roadster being built on the Bluestar/GenIII platform. This thread is specifically about a crossover on that platform, which I think is the first we've had specific reference to it.

Comes from the slide in the first post. It says Gen III sedan and crossover. I think the X3 is a crossover on a 3 series body, no?

Yes I know what it says, I wasn't disagreeing with the slide.....

What I understood from Kevin's post that he was suggesting that the Gen III would be the size of a 3 Series OR and X3, whereas GenIII is 2 cars - so it could be both of those, with the crossover being the X3 and sedan being 3 series. He could have meant differently but that's how I interpreted his post.

----

As I said, I should think the crossover would just be a small version of the X as they already have the model, they just need to downsize it.

It makes a lot of sense that they will make a crossover version of the GEN III platform. When will it happen? I'd guess at one year after the Bluestar Sedan. Which would make the Tesla Roadster 2.0 come out in 2017? Does anyone think that is too far out? I suppose it depends on the previous vehicles successes. If the Model S continues to sell out every year and they pull off 100K+ sales of the Bluestar then I can see them doing the Tesla Roadster 2.0 Supercar in 2016 along with the BlueStar X.

Pickup.

Largest selling car is a truck.

One of the interesting things which could potentially hurt Tesla is that the shape of a truck is defined by its gas engine. They usually have a big flat front to allow lots of air into the engine bay to cool its hard working, very hot engine. If Tesla makes a truck that won't be necessary and so they can make a rounded curvy front end like the Model X. If Tesla changes the boxy shape of a truck a lot of truck owners won't buy one, I think, due to their preconceived notions of what a truck looks like. It's part of the reason Tesla made the black circle in the front of the S and X that mimics a grill. This makes the S and X still look like a car that people expect from the looks of a car. My hope, when Tesla does eventually make a truck, is that they somehow make it look like a truck.