Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trip from Reston to General Lewis Inn, Lewisburg, WV -- I-81 Charging Info Needed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JohnGarziglia

Supporting Member
Oct 22, 2011
Reston, Virginia
Next week, we are taking a trip with my Roadster going the approximate 250 miles from Reston on I-66 west, I-81 south and I-64 west to Lewisburg, WV. I need a place to stop and charge somewhere on I-81 between I-66 and I-64, particularly on the return trip on Sunday.

I see that PlugShare says that there is a J1772 charging station at the Harrisonburg Electric Building, a J1772 Charging Station at the Joe Bowman Auto Plaza in Harrisonburg, and J1772 charging station at Staunton Nissan. I am going to call each of these to confirm they are actually there and can be used. Does anyone know of any other places I might stop and charge a Roadster along I-81 in this area between I-66 and I-64, particularly a place to charge with either 50 amps or 70 amps, and whether any of these three charging stations are close enough to a restaurant or other place I can comfortably wait to put the at least 70 extra miles into my Roadster so that I arrive without range anxiety.

The hotel we are visiting for the conference, the General Lewis Inn in Lewisburg, WV, told me that they are installing a J1772 charging station at the hotel and it will be installed by the time we arrive next week. (I am also contacting them again now to confirm that but assuming they do, I think that is pretty good.) I offered to share the cost of parts for them installing a NEMA 14-50 outlet with 50 amps. somewhere for me to use, and they wrote me back and told me they were getting a GE Residential Electric Vehicle (EV) Level 2 WattStation from Home Depot.

Please let me know if you can help with information on charging on I-81. Thanks!