Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Green Car Credits - Gives Automakers New Ways to Cash In

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bonnie

I play a nice person on twitter.
Feb 6, 2011
Columbia River Gorge
Green Car Credits Gives Automakers New Ways to Cash In

Each credit can help an automaker avoid thousands of dollars in fines. While deals are made privately and companies don’t like to reveal prices, credits sell for $5,000 to $10,000 each, according to two people in the auto industry who declined to be identified talking about private negotiations. So in addition to the $70,000 sticker price of each top-line Model S it sells, Tesla could bank another $35,000-plus in credit sales to other manufacturers.

Tesla Motors (TSLA) has revealed in corporate filings that it’s sold $13 million worth of credits
cool. They earn serious money with every car they sell there.

The number of credits per vehicle depends on its range and how fast it recharges. A model with a 100-mile range and standard charging, such as a Leaf or electric Ford (F) Focus, would generate three credits, while a long-range, fast-charging Tesla Model S is worth seven.

So Tesla should throw in the twin charger for free because basically it pays for itself!

I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, I want Tesla to make a profit. But on the other hand, selling credits enables other car makers to sell more stinkers. If I was writing the law, selling credits would not be allowed. And concepts like cap and trade would not be allowed. Every company would have to meet stringent emissions limits, period. Rather than fines for failure to comply, there would be jail time. Companies happily pay the fines, then write them off as a cost of doing business, and deduct the fines from their income before taxes. The executives laugh all the way to the bank and there is no incentive to stay within the limits. Jail time would hit the people making the decisions.

I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, I want Tesla to make a profit. But on the other hand, selling credits enables other car makers to sell more stinkers. If I was writing the law, selling credits would not be allowed. And concepts like cap and trade would not be allowed. Every company would have to meet stringent emissions limits, period. Rather than fines for failure to comply, there would be jail time. Companies happily pay the fines, then write them off as a cost of doing business, and deduct the fines from their income before taxes. The executives laugh all the way to the bank and there is no incentive to stay within the limits. Jail time would hit the people making the decisions.

Not sure that would stop companies like Tesla from moving forward. If the price of EVs come down, and the technology advances enough, EVs will become very good (and economical) alternatives to gas cars forcing those same companies to either make even more fuel efficient vehicles or EVs themselves.

In any case, I don't see it as a zero-sum game. EVs and ICEs can co-exist. At some point one technology will win over the other -- it doesn't have to be a battle.

If TM did sell all the credits they could, under law, what would their profit margin be? Or is this already factored in?
Factoring in the credits would be difficult I guess because unless I'm mistaken, the credits are only awarded for selling cars in California or any of the other states who follow this model. Surely Calif can't fine Honda for selling non-green cars in Ohio?
They could probably estimate how many vehicles they will sell in appropriate states and calculate from there. Tho that would blur the numbers somewhat. And that never happens in business:tongue:.

Another thought: Does this mean Tesla earn more cash if they deliver the car in California? If so they should encourage factory pickup more!
Also wondering when a certain lawyer who resides in Switzerland will pick up on this and splerge about how EVs are being subsidized by this...

Every good cap and trade system should have a little dwindling engineered in. If you earn 1 credit because you saved 100 units of pollution, you can sell this credit to someone else who is allowed to compensate for 80 units of pollution with it.

While from an economic and idealistic do-good standpoint, I think a straight carbon tax that follows a 3 year running average of the current best scientific estimate of the additional cost of spewing that carbon into the atmosphere, I think even a simple system with incremental compensatory taxes added slowly over time is doomed politically. Any such incremental system must have an 'end' or nobody would vote for infinitely increasing taxes, and because of that needed end point, would always be tough to try and align with ideal, as the politics at the times when the tax needed to be renewed would stifle any proper continuation.

So, while a cap-and-trade isn't ideal from a science, directness, or honesty standpoint, by adding that little bit of 'free market' indirectness between the target cap and the price of the traded units, allows the cap to be set by an agency, pulling the cost out of the hands of the politicians that would block it. It also allows for interesting things like these credits - I dont think a straight carbon 'credit' would fly, as it would be ripe for the 'subsidy' dogma. And allows for Volker's dwindling, which I think is a good thing. Early movers should get extra credit.