Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VDS range display issue with roadster firmware 4.6.5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
so my roadster was in for minor service this week (TPMS faults) and they updated the firmware to 4.6.5

afterwards, i noticed that the VDS range display now defaulted to "IDEAL" miles instead of "ESTIMATED" miles. if I press the RANGE button it shows estimated miles but then changes back to ideal miles after 10 seconds. this is the opposite of how it has been and suboptimal since all i tend to care about is estimated miles.

today someone at tesla menlo park confirmed that this is the behavior but no word yet on why or if it was intentional, etc.

in the meantime, i am going to see if i can get my firmware downgraded.

anyone else seen this change? am i alone in wanting estimated miles to be the default range display mode?

I hadn't noticed, but I keep the VDS on Ideal, because it gives a direct indication of the charge level. The dashboard display shows Estimated all the time anyway.

(And my TPMS isn't working either.)

do you have caps on your valve stems? Took mine off and all my TPMS problems went away.

so my roadster was in for minor service this week (TPMS faults) and they updated the firmware to 4.6.5

afterwards, i noticed that the VDS range display now defaulted to "IDEAL" miles instead of "ESTIMATED" miles. if I press the RANGE button it shows estimated miles but then changes back to ideal miles after 10 seconds. this is the opposite of how it has been and suboptimal since all i tend to care about is estimated miles.

today someone at tesla menlo park confirmed that this is the behavior but no word yet on why or if it was intentional, etc.

anyone else seen this change? am i alone in wanting estimated miles to be the default range display mode?

You can change what it defaults to in the options menu

Unless you come very close to empty on your estimated miles each day, I thinking keeping it in ideal miles to see your charge level makes sense as Doug_G said. I look on the small LCD screen on the dashboard if I want to see estimated miles.

Go into settings and select "units" then change the Range from "Ideal to "Est" and hit OK. Now you have Estimated Miles as your default. Why would you want to downgrade the firmware because of that?:confused:

The firmware 4.6.5 is necessary for some things such as the upgraded fans and the HID lights...if you don't have those then maybe you don't need it, but it makes no sense to downgrade.

thank you.

i feel pretty dumb for not knowing that setting. weird that they flipped the default, but still i should have figured that out.

fwiw, i have had the HID headlamps with the earlier firmware version, but they did mention something about this firmware supporting lower power with the HID lights?

Go into settings and select "units" then change the Range from "Ideal to "Est" and hit OK. Now you have Estimated Miles as your default. Why would you want to downgrade the firmware because of that?:confused:

The firmware 4.6.5 is necessary for some things such as the upgraded fans and the HID lights...if you don't have those then maybe you don't need it, but it makes no sense to downgrade.

thank you.

i feel pretty dumb for not knowing that setting. weird that they flipped the default, but still i should have figured that out.

fwiw, i have had the HID headlamps with the earlier firmware version, but they did mention something about this firmware supporting lower power with the HID lights?

Did anything in the firmware really change on this? Maybe the firmware update just caused a revert to some factory settings (i.e., at least this setting), or the ranger played with it for some reason? I'm pretty sure that my Roadster came new with the VDS initially displaying Idea range (which I have left since the small LCD displays Estimated range and as others indicated the Ideal Range doesn't depend on driving history). Are you the original owner? Maybe the previous owner (or a previous ranger) changed the initial default Ideal to the Estimated you saw? I guess it's also possible that the factory default was the other way and mine was switched by a Tesla employee before I got mine.

It really feels like they changed this in the latest firmware.

I remember it as a toggle. Press it, and it will switch and stay. Now it reverts back after 10 seconds.

Anyone with old firmware can check this?

Did anything in the firmware really change on this? Maybe the firmware update just caused a revert to some factory settings (i.e., at least this setting), or the ranger played with it for some reason? I'm pretty sure that my Roadster came new with the VDS initially displaying Idea range (which I have left since the small LCD displays Estimated range and as others indicated the Ideal Range doesn't depend on driving history). Are you the original owner? Maybe the previous owner (or a previous ranger) changed the initial default Ideal to the Estimated you saw? I guess it's also possible that the factory default was the other way and mine was switched by a Tesla employee before I got mine.

i am not the original owner but upon taking delivery tesla had to replace the computer (twice iirc) and everything was reset both times but a tesla employee could have changed the setting so you are correct i do not really know what is the default.

i like estimated miles precisely because it accounts for my driving history. i have found the estimated range to be quite accurate. the only time i switch back and forth between ideal and estimated range is when i am taking a long trip and trying to get the estimated range closer to the ideal range. for daily driving i prefer to not worry about that.

as for the small LCD display under the traditional dial speedometer, i *never* look at anything in that area at all... left to my own devices i only glance at / reference the VDS. i have even contemplated what would be involved in removing the binnacle (though in reality would never actually do so.)

for the day or two after this last firmware update that i (foolishly) did not have ready access to VDS estimated range (without hitting the touch screen for a 10 second glimpse) i tried to use the small LCD display and found it nearly impossible to read in the sun.

Last edited:
I like being able to see both ideal and estimated range. One on the little screen and one below the speedometer. I wouldn't care which is which since I don't look at either while driving. But the one tells me how far I can go the way I'm driving, and the other tells me how far I can go if I need to, by driving more gently. Both are useful and I want both, so I'm happy the way it is.

In addition, ideal range after charging tells me my batteries have not deteriorated. As the car gets older, this will be more important to me.

i do always check the ideal range when i first get in the car after a charge.

I like being able to see both ideal and estimated range. One on the little screen and one below the speedometer. I wouldn't care which is which since I don't look at either while driving. But the one tells me how far I can go the way I'm driving, and the other tells me how far I can go if I need to, by driving more gently. Both are useful and I want both, so I'm happy the way it is.

In addition, ideal range after charging tells me my batteries have not deteriorated. As the car gets older, this will be more important to me.

Having both ideal and estimated available to me impacts how I drive on trips. Like Daniel, I like seeing both. I modify my driving habits, if necessary - and if not necessary :), I don't. It's easier to glance at the estimated on the dash & only occasionally do I look at ideal on the vds. Plus, it's always a win on roadtrips if I can manage to exceed the ideal miles. (Not that I'm competitive or anything.)

Personal preferences. I hope you can get yours set the way you want.

It really feels like they changed this in the latest firmware.

I remember it as a toggle. Press it, and it will switch and stay. Now it reverts back after 10 seconds.

Anyone with old firmware can check this?
As delivered, my 1.5 showed both estimated and ideal ranges all the time. When MPH was added to the VDS, it replaced one of those range displays with the other one showing the behavior you see now (temporarily toggle to the other value, then automatically switch back.)