Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speed Control Suggestions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Doug_G

Lead Moderator
Global Moderator
Apr 2, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Since the Model S is so quiet, there will be no audible feedback on your speed like an ICE car, or even a Roadster. Leaf owners tell me it's all too easy to get going too fast unless you use the cruise control. But of course unless it's adaptive cruise - which isn't available on the Model S - you can't use it in traffic. Sounds like a recipe for speeding tickets.

I think there is a trivial solution: a simple app for the touchscreen. Whenever the car exceeds a certain speed it goes "bong". It should have buttons to turn on different thresholds, which would all be user-programmable. (I'd make them toggles so you can leave them on if you like.) You might set up buttons for freeway, regular highway, and city streets.

So let's say you pull onto an 80 kph highway. Everyone goes a bit faster than that, so you'd have a 95 kph button (or whatever works for you). Now if your car ever exceeds 95 kph, you get a polite "bong" to let you know.

I think this simple feature could save Model S owners a lot of speeding tickets.

Next suggestion - it would be very nice if the cruise control showed its setpoint on the speedometer screen. It makes it so much faster to set the cruise control to your intended speed.

I frequently notice how much more convenient this is when driving my Infiniti. The adaptive cruise control has a setpoint display, but the conventional cruise control does not. Sometimes I have to switch over because heavy rain disables the adaptive cruise (water absorbs radar microwave frequencies). Whenever I do that, I have to spend a lot more time fiddling with it to get the speed where I want it. This means more time glancing down at the speedometer instead of keeping your eyes on the road. With the setpoint display I can quickly dial it to the speed I want and then ignore it.

Next suggestion - it would be very nice if the cruise control showed its setpoint on the speedometer screen. It makes it so much faster to set the cruise control to your intended speed.

I frequently notice how much more convenient this is when driving my Infiniti. ///.....

Agreed on the Infiniti programmable CC. Really makes it easier.

Don't care about a speed bong. Just learn how to drive.

My wife's E350 wagon has cruise control that digitally displays the target speed and the stalk bumps it up and down by 1mph. All cruise controls should do this.

In the Roadster, unconsciously going too fast isn't really a problem, but that's because there's always that wind noise (though it's so much better with all the updates - before, going even 65mph raised a cacophony of whoosh). Consciously going too fast? Well...

Gotta pass on these ideas. You guys who are used to luxury cars must be spoiled :wink:.

If in traffic, gauge speed by others around you. Use speedometer.

If no other traffic around, use cruise control. Use speedometer.

Any app I have to fiddle with, that's going to bong at me over and over again, would drive me nuts ;).

Maybe it's because I just finished a 17 hour workday?!?

Whenever the car exceeds a certain speed it goes "bong". It should have buttons to turn on different thresholds, which would all be user-programmable. (I'd make them toggles so you can leave them on if you like.) You might set up buttons for freeway, regular highway, and city streets.

That sounds incredibly annoying. I'm really hoping that they simply include a SPEEDOMETER on the dashboard! I've seen those on other cars and it's really nice because it tells you exactly how fast you are going. :smile:

Bong -- there's an app for that?

+1 for the cruise control fine control on the stalk (I have it on my VW and find it really nice)
+1 for being able to tell the GPS to tell you when X % or X mph over the speed limit in the area. I like that one because if I'm using the GPS then I'm prolly not aware enough of the area to know the speed limits.

I agree with those above who say "pay attention to the road and conditions". And please, PLEASE don't "bong" or "ding" or anything.
However, I really like the idea of displaying the local speed limit - available from the sat nav system - right there on the speedometer. A tick mark along the dial can easily be drawn!

My GTI has a speed warning. The LCD between the speedo and tach goes from black with red letters, to red with black letters. There is a 'dong' chime but I never hear it because the speed is set at 100mph and wind/tire noise washes it out. The annoying part is that my steering wheel volume buttons don't work, so I have to reach to the knob on the radio face.