Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homologation process for European Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now, that GeorgeB gave us officially the good news, that the Model S is "fully homologated, tested and approved by several governmental agencies" in the U.S., I'm starting to wonder, when and how Tesla will start to do the same for the European market.

A few questions, that popped in to my mind:
  • What kind of changes are required to the U.S. Model S because of European legislation?
  • What steps are needed to homologate the Model S in the EU?
  • Is there a separate homologation process needed for European countries like Switzerland, that are not part of the EU?
  • Has TM completed the neccecary preparations for the European homologation or didn't they even start?
  • What's your guestimate, when TM will finish that process?

Can someone give me some clues to that questions?

edit:
@mods: Please move this thread to the Model S-Section, sorry for posting it in the wrong place...

I don't have moderation permissions here, so I'm not able to move this thread, another mod will pick this up.

While designing the Model S Tesla seems to have designed the car for the EU specifications, since they are more strict then the US ones:
- Lane changing turn indicators are mandatory, with Model S they are in the Tesla logo on the side
- Reflectors on the back, they are on the Model S
- Amber turn indicators

A couple of things need to be done:
- Rating of continues power, for the Roadster this is 40kW
- Safety testing
- Range testing (?)
- 3-phase testing?

I don't think anyone can give any estimates, but I'm guessing somewhere in September or October that this will be done.

I wouldn't mind having rear fog light on US cars - it gets so thick around the coast here it is really quite useful. I modded my Passat to have a rear fog light.
On the other hand, it annoys me when I see clueless MB and Audi drivers with the rear fog on when there's no need for it.

I wouldn't mind having rear fog light on US cars - it gets so thick around the coast here it is really quite useful. I modded my Passat to have a rear fog light.
On the other hand, it annoys me when I see clueless MB and Audi drivers with the rear fog on when there's no need for it.

My GTI has a rear foglamp (and LED taillights) now also. And I also see Audi and MB people with it on all the time, especially when it is a clear night.

I think the EU has different bumper requirements (for hitting pedestrians) that may need to be changed.
Headlamps are different but usually just angle adjustments are needed for that.
Metric units I am sure are already in the programming on the screens.

And of course there is that whole Right side drive problem the UK has.