Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgraded from General Production to Signature Model S?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

I am requesting your opinion. This is weird:

1) I'm a General Production reservation holder in the low 5 thousands.
2) I called to be put on the wait list for the Signature version but was told it was near impossible to get Signature version b/c the wait list was so long. (This was around Jan 2012).
3) Today Tesla calls and emails and says, "Congratulations" you've been upgraded to a Signature reservation holder! Please let us know in 24 hours of your decision.

My questions:
1) How is this possible - I was told it was near impossible to get a Signature version??? I don't believe in this kind of luck.
2) Is this for real or is Telsa just taking in one more chump? That is, is it possible that there really isn't a long wait list at all?

I don't even watch movies without looking up the reviews first on Metacritic (and b/c Metacritic has lower, tougher scores than Rotten Tomatoes in general). I was hoping to see the car mag reviews for the Signature Tesla and then make my General Production order when it became time (by around Oct I should be called by Tesla they me). Obviously I won't be able to read the car mag reviews first if I choose to get the Signature version.

3) Should I accept Tesla's invitation to upgrade to Signature Model S?

Thanks for any help. Would appreciate any insight as to how "lucky" it really is to be picked to upgrade to Signature version.

I think January 2012 was not long after the Signatures sold out. Probably very few had been canceled until then, so it was considered unlikely. Now is the last possibility for Sig holders to change their mind, so a few will do, for a variety of reasons, most likely personal ones. We have not heard of any problems, as far as I know, except that some don't want to pay the full package price if they don't want all the included options, or want some other color than the 4 colors available for signature models, for example.

After much waffling, being wishy-washy, and consulting with DecisionKing.com:

I've decided that HELL TO THE YEAH I want to get the Signature version in August.

Today was a weird news day for me: Wife tells me she's pregnant with our second child (will take blood test to be sure instead of using the 8€ store-bought, urine pregnancy test), IP lawyer tells me that USPTO allowed my utility patent app and all its Claims (my first patent), Tesla gives me the chance to upgrade to Signature version.

All this news today, and also I just happened to see the Beta Tesla S for the first time ever in the NYC Tesla store - just yesterday!

After much waffling, being wishy-washy, and consulting with DecisionKing.com:

I've decided that HELL TO THE YEAH I want to get the Signature version in August.

Today was a weird news day for me: Wife tells me she's pregnant with our second child (will take blood test to be sure instead of using the 8€ store-bought, urine pregnancy test), IP lawyer tells me that USPTO allowed my utility patent app and all its Claims (my first patent), Tesla gives me the chance to upgrade to Signature version.

All this news today, and also I just happened to see the Beta Tesla S for the first time ever in the NYC Tesla store - just yesterday!

Congrats on all fronts but especially the baby! Two is very different than one.

I'm also glad that there's one less P# ahead of me! ;)

Congrats on all fronts but especially the baby! Two is very different than one.

I'm also glad that there's one less P# ahead of me! ;)

LOL that's funny.

I really just want Signature so I can get car faster and also I like the red color.

The 8€ thing....my wife is from the EU but we live in Texas. Every summer wife and son go to Spain for several months and I visit too for a few weeks (she's from Spain). This AM she tells me she took a store-bought urine pregnancy test and it came out positive. I asked if she took it again just to be sure and she said..."well it's 8€ to buy another urine pregnancy test..."

As you can see, I'm the spender, and she's the saver. How backwards is that?

I think quite a few folks downgraded. Either because they didn't want red or because they didn't have the money, or some other reason.
Yea, the loss rate on Sigs is getting fairly high given the initial commitment (40k) required. The main reason I've seen given on Tesla's forum is just lack of value for the extra cost (that was my reason too).

Tesla has lost 160 Sigs reservations so far and they've only reached out to the first 1/2 or so of Sig folks. It's not a financial issue since there are enough people willing to fill in the Sig gaps. I'd guess the loss rate will be lower on later Sigs since those folks knew more before signing up. It's hard to say what that means for the loss rate on P reservations. I'll be concerned though if the reservation loss stays that high once they're done with the Sigs.

My original plan was to look at car mag reviews when the Sigs come out. Then, depending on the review, make my original P order when Tesla calls me in Oct for a Jan/Feb release. I'm assuming it'll have good reviews.

But back in Jan 2012, I decided that I'd like to have the Signature version since it is only a small premium to get the car early and in the color I want. The huge disadvantage is not being able to read the Sig cars review, now that I'm a signature reservation holder.

I am a person who does not like to even waste my time watching movies that don't have a good review on Metacritic.com. So jumping into the Sig version is a huge leap of faith. My only evidence that the car will have a fantastic review is:

1) If Elon can take a small rocket, dock it with the ISS, and land safely, then he ought to be able to do the Model S - especially after Roadster experience.
2) Sometimes, you just know a movie will be good....like The Avengers. This is what I think Tesla will do with the Model S. (but yes I did check the reviews before seeing it in the theatre).

Just a total guess here, but I'm guessing the Model S will be given a B+ by the industry - mostly b/c of the cost.

....Also, how does one open the Model S if the key fob has run out of battery?

Yea, the loss rate on Sigs is getting fairly high given the initial commitment (40k) required. The main reason I've seen given on Tesla's forum is just lack of value for the extra cost (that was my reason too).

Tesla has lost 160 Sigs reservations so far and they've only reached out to the first 1/2 or so of Sig folks. It's not a financial issue since there are enough people willing to fill in the Sig gaps. I'd guess the loss rate will be lower on later Sigs since those folks knew more before signing up. It's hard to say what that means for the loss rate on P reservations. I'll be concerned though if the reservation loss stays that high once they're done with the Sigs.

hmmmm....160 Sig cancellations out of 1000.....isn't a 16% cx rate super duper high? This makes me nervous, but I know it'll be a great car. I just realized I could've made this trip to Austin from DFW - after seeing the gazillions of charging stations via ChargeLocator iOS app. I can't believe I can take the Tesla to Austin from DFW....a road trip was never in the realm of possibilities I had in my mind when I first made my reservation for P version back in mid-2011.

Really? 16%?

hmmmm....160 Sig cancellations out of 1000.....isn't a 16% cx rate super duper high? This makes me nervous, but I know it'll be a great car. I just realized I could've made this trip to Austin from DFW - after seeing the gazillions of charging stations via ChargeLocator iOS app. I can't believe I can take the Tesla to Austin from DFW....a road trip was never in the realm of possibilities I had in my mind when I first made my reservation for P version back in mid-2011.

Really? 16%?

My guess is that most of those just downgraded to regular production. Or, I can also see people dropping the Signature for general production Performance. What would you rather have? The early exclusivety of a Signature or the added performance and a later production date. It really does come down to your priorities.

Congratulations either way. Seeing that beautiful car get driven out of the factory today was inspiring and exciting.

I am not surprised that 16% have dropped down/out. The first reservations are dating from 2009 and that's a long time. People may have lost their patience, lost their job, hell some of them may have died for all we know. Of course there will be people who are disappointed with the final result. We all have too much time building our expectations to a point where it will be nearly impossible for Tesla to meet it.
I am sure there will be people who are going to be disappointed they dropped out once the Sig's start hitting the roads and reviews, pics and video's start flooding the internet.